Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pond design

MCA
    Given your climate....deeper is better given the depth of the frost line. And of course a greenhouse over it with pond heating would be the dream.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Given your climate....deeper is better given the depth of the frost line. And of course a greenhouse over it with pond heating would be the dream.
    I agree I heat mine and boy is it nice, no spring start up issues I would at least insulate down to just below the frost line.

MCA
    ya done good!

Deeper and deeper we go still digging, had a flat tire on the Case today so not much got done. Hopefully the pond will be dug tomorrow dig it and ya a green house why not the last one was domed great for winter mellowing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond design-005.jpg  

ya done good!
    Thanks the koi like it, this is my baby 2.5 year old chagoi she is about 36" now and eating me out of house and home

Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    I agree I heat mine and boy is it nice, no spring start up issues I would at least insulate down to just below the frost line.

I'm going to insulate the whole thing. Very nice looking pond Moneypit well done. By the way what are the walls made of below water level. and how do you heat your pond.
    Thanks Zebra

Quote Originally Posted by ZEBRA View Post
    I'm going to insulate the whole thing. Very nice looking pond Moneypit well done. By the way what are the walls made of below water level. and how do you heat your pond.
    Thanks Zebra
    Zebra,

It is concrete block construction with a concrete floor, I am a heating contractor and I installed radiant heating tubing in the pond floor and through the block walls.

Very nice way to keep water temp moneypit I like that! great idea. Ill trade you some gravel and sand sure have lots. I'm down to 9 ' now ready for the footings. by the way how do you put the pic on the way you do that's nice Thanks for the ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pond design-002.jpg   Pond design-006.jpg   Pond design-009.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ZEBRA View Post
    Very nice way to keep water temp moneypit I like that! great idea. Ill trade you some gravel and sand sure have lots. I'm down to 9 ' now ready for the footings. by the way how do you put the pic on the way you do that's nice Thanks for the ideas.

If you need any help with heating let me know, I just use Photobucket to host my pictures and then use the insert photo at the top of the reply box and link to them

With the same gravity pushing down on water ....which offers more flow (gph) 3" or 4" pipe? Yep, 3" offers more resistance...and thus less flow (gph) compare to 4". In a koi pond always do 4" or larger...never smaller,... pipes from the BDs. And don't forget the 1" pipe to supply air to the domes.
    Putting in 3 - 4'' bottom drains should I use all 3 with 1'' air hook ups or is 1 enough.
    There will be a water fall wall also. Pond size official now 30' x12' 8'deep. What type of bottom drain would you recommend and and were to buy them.
    Also what size and type of air pump would I need?
    Thanks Zebra

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast