Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Here I go again

Here I go again

So after receiving some sound advice from you folks on this board, I've decided to move the koi in again for the winter. But this time I wanted to have a "splash-free" system to keep the noise down in the garage as my wife runs a small grooming salon in there and didn't appreciate the niagra falls type program I had running last year.

So, this year I'm building one that will be permanent and used as a hospital/QT after winter.

I'm going super simple and have a bottom drain gravity feeding a Nexus Eazy Pod, then return the water via TPR's. I installed the TPR's oposing each other so I can change the current direction so the koi don't get lopsided, and also, in the case of a sick koi, I can have equal amounts returning to both and it should more or less deaden the current quite a bit.

The other black thing between the TPR's is a 2" bulkhead that I'm installing as a mid-water pick up that will bypass the filter. I needed it to bypass so I can ensure I'm not running the Eazy too fast for it to work, as well, I can dose meds and bypass the filtration but keep the circulation going.

The only air for now is an 80L that will go to the bottom drain. I'm hoping it's as quiet as possible but still a good environment for the koi.

I won't be heating it in the winter with all my fish in it, and hope to just have them sitting at about 50-52 degrees so I can get by with a light wheat germ feeding every third day, and then fast them for a month or so as well. I think this will keep me from overwhelming the Eazy with bio load.

Looking like the whole thing will be done with less than 1500 dollars. I'm pretty proud of that considering I'm going with a welded/drop in liner, an off the shelf filter and an aerated bottom drain with air pump and a good quality external pump.

Dimensions will be 7' X 7' and a water depth of 40". I figure it should come in around 1200 gallons total. Not a huge space, but for my 6 little koi, should be fine for the winter.

The bottom drain I'm particularly proud of. It looks like it should work great, and it's just one of the 89.00 non-aerated that I converted for about an additional 35 dollars. Total of about 125 as opposed to 300 bucks for their aerated version!

Next spring I'm planning to add a cetus sieve to the program to get some solid separation going on, but for now this will have to do. Of course, I will be performing small daily water changes and will do the whole backwash thing on the eazy as often as needed to keep things clean.

Anyway, here's some progress pics.

Of course, comment's, and improvement ideas are welcome!!

Grant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Here I go again-qt-build.jpg   Here I go again-qt-build-2.jpg   Here I go again-qt-build-3.jpg   Here I go again-qt-build-4.jpg   Here I go again-qt-build-5.jpg  

Don't forget to fill the void in the bottom of the drain with something like Silkaflex so it does not trap crap!

So what about the air pump noise..........

Looks great, Grant.

When I built my BD (aka Michael's BD) I filled the bottom with cement. Cheap and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    Don't forget to fill the void in the bottom of the drain with something like Silkaflex so it does not trap crap!

So what about the air pump noise..........
    Quote Originally Posted by kntry View Post
    Looks great, Grant.

When I built my BD (aka Michael's BD) I filled the bottom with cement. Cheap and easy.

Uhmm, news to me. Are you guys talking about the space from the bottom of the drain to the inlet of the 4" pipe?

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    Uhmm, news to me. Are you guys talking about the space from the bottom of the drain to the inlet of the 4" pipe?

Grant
    Yesssssssssssssssss........................

Quote Originally Posted by mstrseed View Post
    Yesssssssssssssssss........................

aahhhhhh tyvm!! I had no idea. Is some concrete ok? Or should I find some of that engineer type inspector stuff called silkaflex?

Really appreciate the heads up !

Grant

If i did concrete I would coat it with something for the leaching affect................Silkflex its a self leveling crack sealer, (good dawg training) at Home Depot.........longer to cure than concrete. I tipped mine up a little to make a ramp heading out to the pipe......ya know just so it did not settle there.

Just waiting on the liner now. I ordered a drop in style liner from Steve in Oregon. Once the liner arrives, I'll fit it, fill with water and start circulating. The air pump that's ear marked for the winter facility is currently in use on the main pond outside and will come in with the koi. Also, the media for the eazy will come in from the current filters outside. I'm anticipating very little start up issues as I'm going to fill the indoor pond over a few days with 50% current pond water outside, and 50% new water.

Once the liner is in I'm going to install some siding panels on the two visible sides and I've got some nice wood to trim out the top edge that is 2" wider providing a slight overhang onto the "pond". Should make the liner about invisible if it fits as good as Steve says it does.

Grant
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Here I go again-img_5942.jpg   Here I go again-img_5943.jpg   Here I go again-img_5944.jpg