Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vortex settling tank useless?

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Without a photo or dimensions it is hard to give advice. But if the 1500 gallon figure is correct (gallons = L x W X H X 7.5) then assuming you don’t want to cut the concrete I would do something like the following. Put in an “over the liner” type of bottom drain, use a small external pump (maybe ¼ hp dragon) to a bead filter (maybe Ultima II 2000) to a UV (maybe an AquaUV 40 watt) then splash the return into the pond, some aeration wouldn’t hurt. 1500 gallons would keep you to 3 or 4 or 5 koi or 20 goldfish.
    That is good advice. I would rent a drill and drill through wall 3 or better 4in dia as low as possible chip out some cemmment for bottom drain to sit and then pour cemment. Other option is to just use some ready mix bag to hold bottom drain then fill with sand and use a liner.
    I have learned the hard way that anything but a bottom drain and koi is not a good idea.
    Regards
    Eugene

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by stormsix View Post
    I weighed all the means and options in light of your suggestions. Cutting the concrete through the driveway or the front patio is not an option so I will have to pipe the drain up and over the side of the concrete pond walls. The 1500 gallon measurement is accurate.

What is the most efficient filtration I could get with diy 55 gal drums? Vortex settlement with the first drum to a Skippy type filter with the second drum to splash return? Or something along those lines? I dont have any first-hand experience with the efficiency of vortex filters which is why I ask about them as a prefilter before the biological stage.

I need to stay within my modest budget. Thank you again.
    Thank you Eugene, if it were possible in this situation, I would use a bottom drain too.

I am limited by more than just construction constraints. I'm looking for advice about constructing an efficient 55 gallon drum vortex filter downstream of a submersible pump.

Thank you Eugene, if it were possible in this situation, I would use a bottom drain too.

I am limited by more than just construction constraints. I'm looking for advice about constructing an efficient 55 gallon drum vortex filter downstream of a submersible pump.
    In this case useing a pond liner or pour a cement wall inside the tank .
    That is still a better option than no bottom drain as far as koi fish. It would pay to loose 3 or four 100 gallons.
    Regards
    Eugene

Tosai
    Umm... If anyone has any constructive advice to my actual filter build question please let me know.

Umm... If anyone has any constructive advice to my actual filter build question please let me know.
    Well I built my own house and did my own plumbing. I have 4 toilets that cach the waste and are flushed by gravity in to a 2 chambered septic tank. Then by gravity from the second chamber the waste minus the solids flow through to a weeping bed. In a koi pond the first stage is the bottom drain which is the toilet. The second would be the vortex. Then come either a home made or purchased filter some have built in vortex units. If you do not wish to use the first stage toilet then just fill in the whole thing as koi are a river fish that need clean water and do not do well swimming in their own extreta. What do you want to hear?
    Regards
    Eugene

Tosai
    Ooo! Great answer! Thanks for trying. Next.

(I sure hope this is not one of those guys who turns into a pest and continues to post arguments after my polite decline lol)

MCA
    Why a settling chamber at all? Put a cyclone prefilter between the pump and "bead" filter that has low head pressure (like Alphaone).

I do tend to agree that 1500 is just simply too small (and likely too shallow) for a koi pond...regardless of the filtration. Koi being riverine carp need lots of vertical and horizontal room. Personally, I think ~5000 gallons is the minimum size I would plan as a koi pond.

Tosai
    Is a vortex settling chamber the same thing as a cyclone prefilter?

MCA
    no. A vortex settling chamber is usually at least 36" wide...and can be 48" or more in width....the bigger the better.

A multicycle filter is like some of the fancy vaccuum sytems. The break up the flow into several smaller flows. The each of the smaller flows is caused to go into a fast cyclone spin. You would put the multicyclone between the pond and a filter (beadfilter, shower...etc.) I would guess someone sells them in North America.

Multicyclone Water Polisher - Pond Filters - Aquaflow: Pond Filters & Equipment

[QUOTE=MCA;145891]no. A vortex settling chamber is usually at least 36" wide...and can be 48" or more in width....the bigger the better.

A vortex chamber has to be fed through a bottom drain to be effective. You can have a large pond with few fish with no bottom drain and koi will survive but a small pond with no bottom drain is very difficult to maintain water quality to sustain fish.
    Regards
    Eugene

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast