Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vortex settling tank useless?

MCA
    Fully agreed.

I would suggest that if the existing small hole is to be used for a pond, stick with a few goldfish. If a koi pond is wanted, then build a new pond system elsewhere on the property. There are just way too many compromises on 1500 gallons in the current hole.

Tosai
    That multicycle filter sounds like a slick idea. Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the concern. The koi will be just fine. The incoming fresh flow into the pond (up to 8000 gal/month if needed) will be more than adequate to keep them happy. The diy filters will be a compliment. If I really needed more fresh water I can divert in an additional 15,000 gallons per month. If there's one thing I have tons of is free fresh flowing water. One of the other two ponds, a 3000 gallon, has no recirculating filtration at all, only incoming flow, and it has no appreciable amount of ammonia. They will be fine.

MCA
    Remember that we are talking riverine carp. While having a flow-through system of fresh water is great, it does not address the lack of horizontal and vertical space for large fish.

We don't won't our fish to be fine (as in not ill), we want them to be all they can be. There is a signficant difference between those two circumstances.

I wish you and your koi all the best whatever you decide.

Tosai
    How could I forget we're talking about riverine carp, for some reason you tried to remind me twice, lol?

I have zero interest in growing elitist "be all they can be" fish in this pond. I'm adding some simple decoration for that corner of my yard. I was only inquiring about filtration possibilities between the submersible pump and the main biofilter. The rest of the pond's plumbing has already been decided.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123