Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filtration Re-Do

Jumbo

Filtration Re-Do

just finished changing and totally re-doing my filtration for my 6700 gallon pond. I had a few issues i wanted to correct and some up dates I wanted to do.

I wanted to pour a concrete base under my Sand/Gravel filters. They were just sitting on blocks on the gravel and over time they were settling and leaning.

I wanted to completely eliminate my moving bed filters, with my shower the media in the moving beds was still as white as the day it was new, which told me they were not colonizing any bacteria. It was all in the showers.

I wanted to replace my wooden shower trays with my fiberglass ones, and replace the lava rock with feather rock.

I wanted to replace my 500 gallon vortex and micro screen with two Cetus Sieves off my two Bottom Drains.

I wanted to incorporate a foam extractor off the outlet of the showers.

And last, just generally clean up the piping.

It's all done now and I am very happy with the results.

1st pictures are everything that came out. I couldn't remove my vortex as it was bedded in concrete so it had to come out in pieces.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filtration Re-Do-8.jpg   Filtration Re-Do-9.jpg   Filtration Re-Do-2.jpg   Filtration Re-Do-3.jpg  

Jumbo
    Once everything was out I poured concrete bases for the Sieves and Sand/gravel filters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filtration Re-Do-13.jpg   Filtration Re-Do-14.jpg   Filtration Re-Do-15.jpg  

Jumbo
    The new Cetus Sieves installed. I set these 1" lower than directions state to get more flow, and enlarged the outlets to 3". I am using two Evolution ES 8500 pumps, these pumps go to my shower. With 8 feet of head, and only a quarter inch of weir travel left in the sieves I figure I am getting close to 10,000 gph flow out of them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filtration Re-Do-16.jpg   Filtration Re-Do-19.jpg   Filtration Re-Do-41.jpg   Filtration Re-Do-42.jpg  

Jumbo
    Next the new shower went up. 4 of my Fiberglass trays, each holding 5 cubic feet of feather rock. This is powered by the Sieve/Bottom Drain pumps and gravity flows back to the pond waterfall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filtration Re-Do-37.jpg   Filtration Re-Do-33.jpg   Filtration Re-Do-36.jpg  

Jumbo
    Here is my foam extractor coming off the shower at work.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filtration Re-Do-43.jpg   Filtration Re-Do-44.jpg  

Jumbo
    ext the three Sand/Gravel filters went back in. These work off the skimmer, and are powered by an Evolution ES 8500 pump, flowing 6,000 gph. They feed my three TPRs. Two of them have 50 watt Savio UVs and the third has my Coates 5.5 KW heater.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filtration Re-Do-23.jpg  

Jumbo
    And last, my auto fill. I put a stand pipe in off one of my BD lines. This stand pipe always stays at pond level so I went from 4" to 6" and installed one of my cattle trough float valves for an auto fill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filtration Re-Do-38.jpg   Filtration Re-Do-39.jpg  

Jumbo
    Problem solved.
    With the old system the lower flow rate and lava rock didn't remove near as much DOCs (foam) as the new shower with feather rock and more flow. With the old system my waterfall basin was big enough to act as a foam catch basin before entering the pond. The additional flow I now have was just flushing it right out the waterfall, to much flow to catch anything.

SO

I added a empty well mate tank right after the shower outlet. Water from the shower goes in the top of this tank and out the bottom. So this tank will now act as a catch basin for the foam. I cut the top of the tank off and installed a 12" high capacity air diffuser about a foot off the bottom, just above the water outlet. If needed I can fire this up with an AP 100 and run it like a foam fractionator. i then fiberglassed on the top from another well mate tank to get the desired height I wanted.

BUT before that, I took the 4" extractor out and made a new 6" extractor. At reduced flow rate as long as the 4" pipe had an air gap in it above the water it worked great. But once I opened the pumps, it filled the line and quite making foam. So here's the new 6" extractor. Water level in it is running perfectly with a quarter inch air gap. Look at the last picture. In the time it took to go in the house and get the camera it had already started making foam. I am pleased.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filtration Re-Do-49.jpg   Filtration Re-Do-50.jpg   Filtration Re-Do-51.jpg   Filtration Re-Do-52.jpg  

Jumbo
    Yep, it's working.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filtration Re-Do-54.jpg  

Very creative, and it seems to be working awesome Steve! Nice job!

Grant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast