Home | About Us | Contact Us


Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Bakki shower filter

  1. #11
    Oyagoi Eugeneg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,878
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    I have used feather rock in my showers with great results.
    If you are in a warmer temperature zone a Baki shower is the best filtration or combination with but in cooler climates it could chill the water.
    The results at Momotaro are trully amazing and I did not see any other filtration. All the Baki showers I saw are in the greenhouses.
    Regards
    Eugene

  2. #12
    Sansai
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    219
    Is there more than one place in the US to get real Bacteria House media, not Bio House?

  3. #13
    Meg
    Meg is offline
    Oyagoi Meg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    1,682
    Steve what did you us for your trays?

  4. #14
    Jumbo
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Crooked River Ranch, OR.
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Steve what did you us for your trays?
    They are fiberglass, I make and sell them.
    I am using them alone as only bio filtration on my indoor tank,
    New Test Tank
    And my main patio pond.
    Filtration Re-Do
    After 4 years of running both shower and four 100 gallon moving bed filters I came to the conclusion the M/B filters were doing nothing. The media was still whits as new. So they came out and now I'm shower only. Plus if done right a shower will make an excellent FF.

  5. #15
    Tosai KidKoi20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    chicago suburbs
    Posts
    27
    for a pond of say 4,000 to 5,000 gallons would a gravity fed bottom drain into a mechanical filter, and then pumped into the trickle tower be an effective filtration system?

  6. #16
    MCA
    MCA is offline
    Honmei MCA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    2,574
    problem is that trickle towers are usually relatively low flow devices and you want turnover no greater than 2 hours....ideally more like one hour.

    For 5000 gallon pond consider one bottom drain feeding filter and one skimmer another set of filters. Presentation at link below shows options for 5000 gallon koi pond

    http://www.atlantakoiclub.org/calend...ilteration.pdf

  7. #17
    Jumbo
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Crooked River Ranch, OR.
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by KidKoi20 View Post
    for a pond of say 4,000 to 5,000 gallons would a gravity fed bottom drain into a mechanical filter, and then pumped into the trickle tower be an effective filtration system?
    This is what I do. BD to Sieve to shower. But I am flowing massive amounts of water making it a shower and not a TT.

  8. #18
    Tosai KidKoi20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    chicago suburbs
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    This is what I do. BD to Sieve to shower. But I am flowing massive amounts of water making it a shower and not a TT.
    Ah, I see. I would be shooting for a full cycle each hour, so I think a shower would be much more appropriate for my needs as well.

  9. #19
    Jumbo
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Crooked River Ranch, OR.
    Posts
    998
    Quote Originally Posted by KidKoi20 View Post
    Ah, I see. I would be shooting for a full cycle each hour, so I think a shower would be much more appropriate for my needs as well.
    I would take a shower over all other filters. An additional benefit of a shower is it breaks out the excess protiens or DOCs, all we need to do is add an extractor on the outline line like pictured. I like to flow 8 to 10,000 gph through my 48 inch shower. I also make smaller 30 inch fiberglass shower trays, these take 6,000 gph. Might be a good set up for your pond.

    Another thing I have found, natural media like feather rock or lava rock works better than man made media like bio balls, rings, or poly strapping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bakki shower filter-55a.jpg  

  10. #20
    Tosai KidKoi20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    chicago suburbs
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    I would take a shower over all other filters. An additional benefit of a shower is it breaks out the excess protiens or DOCs, all we need to do is add an extractor on the outline line like pictured. I like to flow 8 to 10,000 gph through my 48 inch shower. I also make smaller 30 inch fiberglass shower trays, these take 6,000 gph. Might be a good set up for your pond.

    Another thing I have found, natural media like feather rock or lava rock works better than man made media like bio balls, rings, or poly strapping.
    Thanks for all the tips! So this foam extractor is placed before all of the filters? I do plan on making my shower and possibly even my mechanical filter both DIY projects, so if you have a link to the foam extractor as well I would greatly appreciate it. Once further along in my pond design process I will definitely contact you about the shower trays. Birdman, don't you also manufacture custom liners?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bakki shower filter and salt and "defractionater"
    By Algaemaster in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-21-2012, 12:56 PM
  2. New Bakki Shower
    By bighatbulls in forum Pond Construction
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 12:00 AM
  3. New bakki shower
    By HenryC in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 05:29 PM
  4. bakki shower or nexus filter
    By glupo in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 12:21 PM
  5. Filter Maintenance Part I: Bakki Shower
    By MikeM in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-17-2009, 02:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Articles - Sitemap - FAQs and Rules

KB Footer Graphic
Straight from Japan... For the serious hobbyist!
All content and images copyright of: Koi-bito.com