Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bakki shower filter

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by KidKoi20 View Post
    Thanks for all the tips! So this foam extractor is placed before all of the filters? I do plan on making my shower and possibly even my mechanical filter both DIY projects, so if you have a link to the foam extractor as well I would greatly appreciate it. Once further along in my pond design process I will definitely contact you about the shower trays. Birdman, don't you also manufacture custom liners?
    No it goes in the out let line of the showers. All it is is a Tee in the line with a piece of plastic that just barley scraps the water. The foam being carried on top of the water is scraped off.
    Yes, I sell the custom made drop in liners.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    No it goes in the out let line of the showers. All it is is a Tee in the line with a piece of plastic that just barley scraps the water. The foam being carried on top of the water is scraped off.
    Ahh, I see. Thanks a lot!

Sansai
    Steve can you get any better pictures of that contraption you built? Something like that would be perfect for my DIY tt's and should only cost a few bucks.
    Any other details about it? Like how did you fabricate the scraper? Does it matter if the scraper touches the inflowing water slightly?

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    Steve can you get any better pictures of that contraption you built? Something like that would be perfect for my DIY tt's and should only cost a few bucks.
    Any other details about it? Like how did you fabricate the scraper? Does it matter if the scraper touches the inflowing water slightly?
    All you need is a straight sided Tee, not a sanitary Tee but something like a clean out Tee. Now for this to work you have to have an air space in the pipe above the water. Not much is needed, but say 3 3/4 inches of water in a 4 inch pipe. Then take a thin piece of plastic, like a cut out from a 5 gallon bucket, and slip it down the down stream side of the Tee, so it just contacts with the water. As the water exits the shower, and flows out the outlet pipe, the foam will be floating on top of it. The plastic will scrape the foam off the water and it will pile up in the Tee and come out the top.
    Hope this drawing helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bakki shower filter-4.jpg  

Sansai
    All you need is a straight sided Tee, not a sanitary Tee but something like a clean out Tee. Now for this to work you have to have an air space in the pipe above the water. Not much is needed, but say 3 3/4 inches of water in a 4 inch pipe. Then take a thin piece of plastic, like a cut out from a 5 gallon bucket, and slip it down the down stream side of the Tee, so it just contacts with the water. As the water exits the shower, and flows out the outlet pipe, the foam will be floating on top of it. The plastic will scrape the foam off the water and it will pile up in the Tee and come out the top.
    Hope this drawing helps.
    Thanks Steve that explains it perfectly.

If I had a bakki shower into a waterfall with two aerated bottom drains in my prospective pond would there be a danger of supersaturation? Probably an impossible question without more information, but I figured there was no harm done in asking. Thanks in advance for help with my many novice questions.

eds
    Sansai
    If I had a bakki shower into a waterfall with two aerated bottom drains in my prospective pond would there be a danger of supersaturation? Probably an impossible question without more information, but I figured there was no harm done in asking. Thanks in advance for help with my many novice questions.
    IMO/E supersaturation can only really happen with changes in water temperature forcing gas out of solution or when there's a pinpoint hole in pipework drawing gas in under pressure (though not too sure how you'd do this in koi pond piping). A shower being open and then falling into a waterfall would simply saturate it with oxygen, not supersaturate it.

Quote Originally Posted by eds View Post
    IMO/E supersaturation can only really happen with changes in water temperature forcing gas out of solution or when there's a pinpoint hole in pipework drawing gas in under pressure (though not too sure how you'd do this in koi pond piping). A shower being open and then falling into a waterfall would simply saturate it with oxygen, not supersaturate it.
    upon further planning, I most likely will not have air involved in the bottom drains, but thanks for the response. I'm planning on only one 4 inch bottom drain into my shower filter, and a skimmer. My next question is if I can run the return from the skimmer into the same shower, or should I have a separate return line? So my entire filtration would consist of the bottom drain into the shower, and the skimmer into the same shower. And the output from the shower into a water fall.

eds
    Sansai
    upon further planning, I most likely will not have air involved in the bottom drains, but thanks for the response. I'm planning on only one 4 inch bottom drain into my shower filter, and a skimmer. My next question is if I can run the return from the skimmer into the same shower, or should I have a separate return line? So my entire filtration would consist of the bottom drain into the shower, and the skimmer into the same shower. And the output from the shower into a water fall.
    If it's a display pond I'd have some way of removing solids from the pond. If you want to run a bottom drain filter it via a sieve and then pump over the shower. You could then either have another system on the skimmer (such as static K1), just the basket or another sieve and then I would pump that over the shower too.

Another option would be to have a static and fluidised K1 filter that runs off the skimmer line and is returned back to the pond via subsurface returns to provide different type of circulation.

A few thoughts for you to ponder KidKoi20.

Bakki's are fantastic for biofiltration, but not as solids filters. No matter which circuit you pull from for the shower you want some type of mechanical waste separation before hitting the pump. It will save you a lot of work trying to keep the shower clean.

As to aerated drains, supersaturation is nearly impossible so not aerating the BD will not help you but it may reduce the efficiency of the drain as the aeration not only adds O2 but it improves the currents that sweep solid wastes toward the drain as well.

Lastly, you live in the Chicago suburbs. That means hot summers and frigid cold winters. A bakki shower will help to maintain better water temperatures during the summer months as the evaporative action in the shower trays helps to cool the water before it returns to the pond. In the winter that is a very bad thing, and you don't want the shower to be your only biofilter. I'd suggest having the shower on a skimmer circuit and the BD on a filter level with the pond. It will hold ground heat better and allow you to shut down the shower and run the filter longer and extend your growing season considerably.

Just my opinion.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast