Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Heat exchanger

Fry

Heat exchanger

Hi All,

I am building a indoor tank around 2000 gallons to house my Koi over the winter and I want to heat it using my existing combi boiler with an heat exchanger but I not sure how these would be set up. Has any one set one up using motorized valves etc so that the water is kept at a constant temperature even when the domestic system is not on or calling for heat.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks

MCA
    You could do an electric 800watt unit in the tank. I used one in a 1500 gallon tank on our patio during the winter I was building our pond. I insulated the tank with sheets of foam and kept a sheet of plastic over the top to minimize wind chill.

For a hot water-based heating system you typically put the hot water through one side of a stainless heat exchanger. You use a thermostat controller to turn on a low flow water pump (such as one made by Taco) to circulate hot water as needed on the hot side of the heat exchanger. Meanwile the pond/tank water is ciculating through the other side of the heat exchanger. The therostat usually has a probe that can be inserted into a hole/slot on the body of the heat exchanger to monitor the heat of the pond water moving through the heat exchanger.

there are many sites that describe the parts and implementation of a pond/tank heat

Koi pond heating

SuburbanPonds.com - Stainless Steel Heat Exchangers

Aquatic Eco-Systems: Aquarium Supplies - Finnex® Titanium Heaters

Aquatic Eco-Systems: Water Garden Supplies - Aqua Logic® Temperature Controllers
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Fry
    Thanks,
    I will check the sites out but the main problem is how does the main central heating system work with the heat exchanger. I have been told I will need motorised valves which zone the domestic system off from the tank but what valves would be needed and how are these wired?

MCA
    not. simply set up a pipe circuit between the hot and cold sides of the water heater/boiler. That circuit takes water from the hot water side, through the heat exchanger, through the circulator pump (controller by the thermostat) and back to the cold side of the water heater. When the thermostat thinks the tank needs to be warmed, it kicks in the circulator pump that moves hot water through one side of the heat exchanger. The tank passing throug the other side of the heat exchanger picks up the heat.

The heat source can a house's hot water heater, boiler, or a dedicated source like a tankless hot water heater. Many of the commerical pond heater packages use a tankless hot water heater.

Quote Originally Posted by patgk View Post
    Hi All,

I am building a indoor tank around 2000 gallons to house my Koi over the winter and I want to heat it using my existing combi boiler with an heat exchanger but I not sure how these would be set up. Has any one set one up using motorized valves etc so that the water is kept at a constant temperature even when the domestic system is not on or calling for heat.
    Any info would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    It will depend on how your heating system is set up, usually you have some type of thermostat that will cycle a zone valve open, closing a end switch that trigers a pump/ boiler to start heating. If this is the case you would tie into the supply and return and run through a heat exchanger with a zone valve on the return, pond water runs through the heat exchanger all the time and when your thermostat calls for heat it opens the zone valve and starts the pump/ boiler.

Tategoi
    [QUOTE=Moneypit;146385]It will depend on how your heating system is set up, usually you have some type of thermostat that will cycle a zone valve open, closing a end switch that triggers a pump/ boiler to start heating. If this is the case you would tie into the supply and return and run through a heat exchanger with a zone valve on the return, pond water runs through the heat exchanger all the time and when your thermostat calls for heat it opens the zone valve and starts the pump/ boiler

A relay to secure the pump is all that is needed to control the water flow! A thermometer will sense the heat! be certain the relay can operate with the thermometer's output or get a more sensitive small relay to operate the primary relay.

If you want to secure the water, for some reason, a solenoid is the cheapest way.