Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New small pond design

Tosai

New small pond design

I will start by stating, we do not plan to stay at this house for more than the next 3 years.

Now that that is out of the way, I am wanting to build a bigger pond. The one that is here now is more like a water garden and is very small. I do not have enough room to make a very large pond but something in around 2000 gallons. I am new to this, so I am not trying to create champion koi here in my back yard but to have a few decent koi so that my family and I can enjoy them. I am in Indiana, so it needs to stay mostly below grown level. I have a flower garden next to my deck that the pond will go into.

It will be a natural looking pond and with that I have a few questions, I am debating concrete and block construction with some sort of sealer (epoxy or otherwise) as well as just a simple padded hole for a liner to sit inside with some rocks on top. I personally do not like the look of a pond that is just liner, if it would turn green and fast I would be all for that but I do not think that it will. I know I can get colors or the other stuff to put on concrete block builds that would be more pleasing and actually look a little more like it should be there.

I am also concerned about price, I do not want to spend much at all if I do not have to do so.

The depth is a issue as well as I can not even get a bobcat in my backyard because of a fence, so the depth is limited to what I and an occasional helper can dig.

I have all winter to figure this out and put the pond in. All of my fish are in my qt right now and will stay indoors until the spring and the new pond are finished.

Help me out by giving me the pitfalls of building this pond either way and also the unexpected costs that might go into this sort or project.

thank you all.

Tosai
    oh yeah, the biggest this can be is about 12x6.

Daihonmei
    12 x 6 x 6 is a pretty nice sized small pond..you could put 10-15 tosai in there and weed em out as they start to stress the filter.
    Too much emphasis is placed on "waterproofing" a concrete block pond...as long as you have enough rebar in it both vertically and horizontally it seems to seal itself tight enough for just about anything with a coat of stucco...I added xypex to my stucco and would suggest it to others but i think it was going overboard.

If you are leaving in three years I'd go with a EPDM liner and fill it in before I tried to sell the home..IF you are in a home you will need to sell?
    And a liner will turn brown or green within weeks of being filled with water so do not worry one bit about the color.

Jumbo
    Luke is right. What ever you use inside will get a growth of algae and after a while you won't even look at it. If you know this is just temp. just do it the easiest way, and plan your filtration to be able to be moved.

Tosai
    it might have gotten a little bit bigger, as my wife and I were talking today. We might put it in the cut out of the deck and fill in the old pond. this would put a bit (like 3 ft) out of the ground.

how deep should we go under ground level to keep a nice temp. with the new design of the pond I would be able to build a small greenhouse like structure for the winter time.

I think the liner is the way to go especially if it will turn brown and green quickly.

I plan to use concrete block and pour cement down to ground level (and a little below) then cover the outside with stone so that if someone later wants to fill it in they can make a raised planter out of it all.

you guys will have to help with the filtration, I have never planned anything like this before. I would like to get something I can bury in the flower bed in front of this (to keep it out of the way) and have an access lid to clean it out and be able to reach down to a facet or something to drain the sludge out of it too.

it appears to be 13x6xwhenever my back fails me, with two small bottom drains. if someone could draw out what is needed and how to run my pipe I would appreciate it.

Tosai
    if the rain holds of I will have a pic of the area staked out later today.

thanks again for the help, now lets talk about filtration that can be moved and also hidden in the yard.

Tosai
    okay I have a couple pics of the site and I will post those in the coming days but lets talk about filtration.

someone said to make the filtration easily removable, so I have been thinking along those lines and I wonder if anyone has ever done anything like this: construct a fountain, with the filter in the bottom, like a gravity fed bio step sort of filter. Connect two large diameter pvc pipes to it that end in bottom drains (this is all actually above the liner but a trench was dug in so that they still sit at the bottom of the sloped floor). On top of the fountain sits a UV filter and pump to handle the size of the pond.

This way the filtration can be taken out of the pond if need be when we move. it can also be cleaned by adding a few things and using a small pump to get all the really nasty stuff out of the bottom

Any suggestions

oh yeah one more added thing, I would like to put a little bit of something at the top of the fountain to break up the flow and do a little more filtering, like some pumice.

Sansai
    Are you also planning on demolishing the pond when you leave? I don't think you can take all the filtration and leave the pond intact as much of a selling point.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by kent wallace View Post
    Are you also planning on demolishing the pond when you leave? I don't think you can take all the filtration and leave the pond intact as much of a selling point.
    I won't demolish it but it will not be a pond anymore, a raised flower bed is more along the lines of what I was thinking. I will have two matching but smaller raised beds in the yard as well so that it will all look cohesive. One of those beds will be where my current tiny pond is right now.

I know it is kind of an odd idea but it seems people do not want the hassle of keeping up with a pond (koi or not) and it has hurt the value of homes around here even when they have had just a small water feature. I plan to landscape a majority of my backyard (very little in grass) so having the pond match the rest of the yard is very important. If someone would want the pond I would leave everything but my fish.

Sansai
    The pond industry in general has a very poor reputation.
    The industry's 80% rule according to the NAPP (National Association of Pond Professionals). Statistically 80% of ponds built, fail within the first year. 80% of those fail within the first 6 months.
    My 80% rule is 80% of my business is rebuilding poorly built ponds.
    It's too bad bacause a properly built pond is relatively easy to maintain and will last a long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast