Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproofing cement block

Tosai

Pics

Here ar some pics on the project. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks I can get it Xypex'd. Will update
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Waterproofing cement block-dscf0036.jpg   Waterproofing cement block-dscf0035.jpg   Waterproofing cement block-dscf0034.jpg  

Tosai

Xypex

Ok, a little late but... The pond is basically complete with Xypex. Very simple application, just wet the concrete, mix it and piant it on with a heavy bristol brush. I have had water in it and everything seems fine. Just have to do some final plumbing & I can add back the fish. Wouldn't hesitate using Xypex again. $50 a pail at Home Depot, used 3 pails.

Cheers!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Waterproofing cement block-dscf0037.jpg   Waterproofing cement block-dscf0038.jpg   Waterproofing cement block-dscf0039.jpg   Waterproofing cement block-dscf0040.jpg  

Fry
    Looks good, so how did you seal all the pvc and skimmer to the concrete?

Tosai

Sealing

For the skimmer, I used silicon behind the flange & then used tapcons to screw it to the wall. As for the PVC drains, I filled the pond & I think they leak. I now plan on cutting a square around them in the concrete & then use silicson around the pipe to the concrete. It should work. I'm using 100% silicon sealer. I'll post back with the results.

Fry
    Any updates ostrich? I also have a concrete block pond, which I'm building, the structure is complete just have to clean it up and prep for xypex. I just contacted a xypex regional distributor, hopefully I can get some xypex concentrate and modified. Did you acid etch?

Quote Originally Posted by ostrich View Post
    Here ar some pics on the project. Hopefully in the next 2 weeks I can get it Xypex'd. Will update
    My front pond was constructed similar to yours.
    I "sealed" the concrete blocks with two "stucco" coats of cement & fine silica sand 50/50 mix (Japanese style).
    Where the drain and several 3 inch abs pipes go through the pond "block wall", I reinforced and sealed them by adding 4 - 6 inches of concrete around the pipe covered with concrete glue. Picture where the pipe goes through the wall, the area about 6 inches around the pipe next to the wall is 6 inches thicker than the rest of the pond wall. It does not show because it is hidden underground.
    See YouTube ricshaw's pond video of pond.

Tosai

Xypex

PingPongKoi,

I 1st coated the block with Xypex. Make sure the block is damp. Mix it up & I painted it on with a brush. I did 2 coats, let it dry for 3 days, then I acid washed it with Muriatic acid. Not sure if it's needed, but I know the Xypex is very alkaline. Things work good. I found my leak, leaking past the weir on my waterfall. Pond itself hold water well.

We used the Xypex paint on coating on our pond and have been very happy with it. It's over shotcrete. By the way, it can be tinted if you like. I think it's the same dry powder tint used to color concrete. Ours was tinted black and it looks great too!

In the picture it looks rather grey, but when wet it's a nice deep charcoal black. The whitish areas is just some efflorescence which went away quickly after filling it. Plus not sure, but this may have been the first coat. I think the second coat was darker. Anyway it works great and we're very happy with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Waterproofing cement block-inside-look-coating-c.jpg  
    Barb

Santa Clara Valley Koi & Water Garden Club

http://www.sckoi.com

Zen Nippon Airinkai Nor-Cal Chapter

http://www.znanorcal.org

Tosai

Thumbs up

Mr Ostrich I hope you're as happy with your Xypex sealed pond as I am with mine. I had my Xypex mixed in with the stucco coat before it was applied by the stucco guy over the concrete block. After the stucco was applied the stucco itself was lightly sprayed down with water over a period of three days to slow down the cure rate during the heat of the summer.

After the three day cure the pond was filled with water and left to run for a couple of days before being emptied washed out with fresh water and refilled, then after a further three days running the whole system I started to introduce fish. Along with my own bacteria I had been cultivating in readiness for the big day.

One thing I did do, more for aesthetic appeal than for any other reason, was to thinly coat the top twelve inches of stucco below the pond edging with black Sika Flex so as to leave a black edge above and below the water line rather than the see the light grey color of the stucco. Silly maybe, but each to our own huh? And no... It didn't come off and is still there to this day.

While the initial ph was reading high, IIRC at about 8.5 to 9.0, the fish didn't show any signs of distress, but what was really interesting was how quickly the walls and floor of the pond was colonised by algae. This algae colonisation was much quicker than glass fiber ponds I had had previous to this one.

So far it's been three years since the pond was built and to the best of my knowledge has never leaked. If I was ever to do another one, although at my age I doubt that's going to happen, I would most definitely use Xypex again.

BTW the ph dropped to a steady 7.8 over the course of the first year and remained at or around that average level for a while before dropping steadily to it's current average of 7.3/7.4.

I hope you have as much success with your Xypex'd pond as I have had with mine. Good luck to ya.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishin View Post
    Mr Ostrich I hope you're as happy with your Xypex sealed pond as I am with mine. I had my Xypex mixed in with the stucco coat before it was applied by the stucco guy over the concrete block. After the stucco was applied the stucco itself was lightly sprayed down with water over a period of three days to slow down the cure rate during the heat of the summer.

After the three day cure the pond was filled with water and left to run for a couple of days before being emptied washed out with fresh water and refilled, then after a further three days running the whole system I started to introduce fish. Along with my own bacteria I had been cultivating in readiness for the big day.

One thing I did do, more for aesthetic appeal than for any other reason, was to thinly coat the top twelve inches of stucco below the pond edging with black Sika Flex so as to leave a black edge above and below the water line rather than the see the light grey color of the stucco. Silly maybe, but each to our own huh? And no... It didn't come off and is still there to this day.

While the initial ph was reading high, IIRC at about 8.5 to 9.0, the fish didn't show any signs of distress, but what was really interesting was how quickly the walls and floor of the pond was colonised by algae. This algae colonisation was much quicker than glass fiber ponds I had had previous to this one.

So far it's been three years since the pond was built and to the best of my knowledge has never leaked. If I was ever to do another one, although at my age I doubt that's going to happen, I would most definitely use Xypex again.

BTW the ph dropped to a steady 7.8 over the course of the first year and remained at or around that average level for a while before dropping steadily to it's current average of 7.3/7.4.

I hope you have as much success with your Xypex'd pond as I have had with mine. Good luck to ya.
    I would recommend, for most people, "curing" the pond (leeching out the lime that makes the pH high) a little longer.
    The simplest way is to fill the pond and let it sit for a couple of weeks.
    Some people do a couple of water changes during this period.
    To speed up the process, some people add vinegar or muratic acid to the water (w/o fish).
    Others drain the pond and spray the sides with a solution of diluted muratic acid (caution: the fumes are toxic and be careful standing in a deep pond), then refilling the pond again.

I like to get the pond water down to 0.5 pH from what is normal for the tap water being used to fill the pond, before adding fish.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast