Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Waterproofing cement block

Tosai
    LOL... I guess I mustn't be most people then.

Maybe I was being impatient, but as I understood it a steady level of ph is far more preferable to a wildy see-sawing ph. I could see no good purpose being served by waiting forever for the pond to stabilise to 0.5 above tap water level as it's my understanding that even though Muriatic acid can help to leech or seal excess lime in the stucco it can still be liable to leech even further sometime down the timeline.

Far better IMO to live with what you have rather than run the risk of a rapid ph climb followed by a rapid decline in same. And as I said in my post, the fish came to no harm and are to this day, three years down the line, still swimming happily in the pond. I know this coz I just came in from sitting by the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by GoneFishin View Post
    LOL... I guess I mustn't be most people then.

Maybe I was being impatient, but as I understood it a steady level of ph is far more preferable to a wildy see-sawing ph. I could see no good purpose being served by waiting forever for the pond to stabilise to 0.5 above tap water level as it's my understanding that even though Muriatic acid can help to leech or seal excess lime in the stucco it can still be liable to leech even further sometime down the timeline.

Far better IMO to live with what you have rather than run the risk of a rapid ph climb followed by a rapid decline in same. And as I said in my post, the fish came to no harm and are to this day, three years down the line, still swimming happily in the pond. I know this coz I just came in from sitting by the pond.
    See-sawing pH is not good. Very high or very low pH is not good.
    Remember: One number up the pH scale is 10x

Live with what you have means to me what you have coming out of the tap, not the water that is in a new concrete pond.

You are correct that it may take up to a year for most of the lime to leech out of a new concrete pond and see-saw pH is not really an issue with normal water changes.

I was not criticizing you (or that was not my intention)... just suggesting that people be aware of the high pH issue and what others do to help stabilize it.

You said you bought the Xypex at Home Depot. In what department? I have to check out mine to see if they sell it.

You also said you painted it on with a brush. I was told it had to be mixed with Stucco. Did you mix it with Stucco on the first coat and then paint pure Xypex over that?

I'll be starting my pond by Spring, hopefully. I'm torn between Sani-Tred and Xypex. If I can buy it locally, that would be my choice.

Tosai
    I was not criticizing you (or that was not my intention)... just suggesting that people be aware of the high pH issue and what others do to help stabilize it.

OK.

Fry
    Very interesting reads. Well I ordered Xypex Concentrate and Modified and plan on doing one coating of the concentrate and a coating of modified over it. Is that what you did ostrich? Or did you do two coatings on concentrate?

I've got a bunch of efflorescence around the bottom foot and a half of my block pond that formed when water sat in the pond after heavy rains or when water leaked into the pond before I filled the blocks. I'm going to try to pressure wash it off and if that's not satisfactory then I'll use some muriatic acid. >_>

kntry, I ordered the Xypex from a company in Kenner, Technical Coatings Services, Inc., which the regional xypex contact directed me. Not a bad drive from up where you are, but they did also offer to ship as well. The regional contact said one pail of the concentrate covers 360 sq ft. And for stucco I think you use the Xypex Admix.

I talked to that company several years ago and was told I couldn't use it for ponds. I knew Luke had used it and told them so. I guess they did some research since then.

Where are you, pingpong?

Fry
    Westbank! We met at Purdin the year before last very briefly. I still remember those yummy cookies.
    I actually didn't tell them what I was going to use the xypex for but I did tell the regional contact and he didn't say anything about it ._.

You raise a good point, maybe I should ask more specifically because I do recall seeing a xypex product called HD150- Xypex which can be used on ponds so it claimed and that may be the product ostrich aquired hm...
    Any specific reason why they told you it couldn't be used for ponds?

Years ago I used a cement product that was a cement looking powder that you mixed with water until the consistency of pancake batter and painted on the concrete with a stiff brush to seal it.
    It was mainly advertised and sold to seal concrete retaining walls and basements.
    I was concerned about it being safe for a Koi pond until I read that it was safe to use for a cistern storing potable water.

Tosai

Xypex

I got the Xypex from the concrete isle at HD. Not all HD have it. Yes I mixed it into a slurry & used a stiff brush to paint it on. 2 coats. Don't mix too much up at once it get hot when mixed, but hardens fast. Everything seems fine with the pond & koi. No leaks! PH is good.

Fry
    There are many products available in the market for waterproofing or you may get information from Pavement Rehabilitation.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123