Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Impeller experiment: to purée or not?

WAC
    Tosai

Impeller experiment: to purée or not?

The concept of submersible pump action as well as direct-suction from external pumps (in "pump-fed") applications will purée or liquify solids (esp. fish excrement) into a state of perpetual suspension is relative.

Without a doubt, the emphasis of any pond's health is on water quality & filtration (mechanical & biological). However, this topic of "purée" comes up often which prompted me on a quick experiment (partially due to boredom). Without a doubt, any debris subjected to a pump's intake (via volute, impeller cover, wet-end) regardless of being a submersible or direct pump suction from an external can be masicated [to an extent].

The comparison of an impeller to a blender or food processor is understandable albeit unfair (in my opinion). The latter 2 appliances operate off the concept of exposure time in which any pump's impeller has inconsequential exposure time to truly do the "damage" that we may associate w/a true purée. In addition, different pumps also have different impeller designs (i.e. vortex, semi-vortex, solids-handling, etc.).

In this experiment, a 500 micron mesh was used to catch residual "waste" from a submersible pump (operating w/minimal head @ approximately 1725 RPM). The residual waste used? Jello & bread, as soft & soluble substances in aqueous solutions. Is it exactly fish excrement? No. I'm not THAT bored!

The waste was cycled & recycled thru the system over 5 times to demonstrate the purée or lack therof effect -- caught on the 500 micron mesh.

As a point of reference for micron size:
    • avg human hair = 70 microns
    • white blood cells = 40 microns
    • talcum powder = 10 microns
    • bacteria = 2 microns.
    I realize this experiment is more qualitative than quantitative due to time constraints but I hope it can be somewhat enlightening to whomever is watching.

In my opinion, it does continue to support the importance of filtration (particularly mechanical pre-filtration). In particular to the koi keeping hobby, the use of SIEVES (300 microns or less) even in a "pump-fed" application can still garner great value & results to the health of the pond & water quality!

Here's a link to my video ... enjoy!

YouTube - Impeller Experiment 12.28.09_0001.wmv

WAC: An excellent demonstration. There are many myths and misconceptions deeply ingrained in the collective koi consciousness. I see now that the idea that the “pump purees poo’” is one. But this has so often stated that it has been taken for fact forever. The simple elegance or your demo clearly debunks this generalization.

WAC
    Tosai
    Hello:

Thanks. There are countless of variables to take into consideration. In reality, puree does happen but the degree isn't as extreme liquification.

In all fairness, it wasn't demonstrated w/fish "poo" either.

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    There are many myths and misconceptions deeply ingrained in the collective koi consciousness.
    Very well-stated, Rob. I really appreciate the effort when someone such as Simon goes to the trouble to actually investigate and document such a line of inquiry.

This was excellent. Now we just need some fish poo to work with.

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by WAC View Post
    Hello:

Thanks. There are countless of variables to take into consideration. In reality, puree does happen but the degree isn't as extreme liquification.

In all fairness, it wasn't demonstrated w/fish "poo" either.

and I would add the step of weighing your solids before and after the "puree" process to see what you really have let in the end. the jello was fairly easy to flow but the bread seemed to disapear.

that was a great visual!! good thinking.