Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Filter Ideas for indoor tank

Quote Originally Posted by mshill90 View Post
    I have a 1,500 gallon winter holding tank for my koi in my basement.

I also have a 300 gallon water tote as my QT for time being.

And I just got in a 6' Deep Water show tank, which when filled to recommended depth holds 670 gallons.

For our large tank set up we have an Evolution ES2500 pump, and a 55 gallon S/G filter. The layers being Marble Chips, pea gravel, and then chicken grit. And attached to that onto the overflow we have a 40w Aqua UltraViolet Brand UV.

On the front of the S/G filter we have the TT system. It's a shower into 2 large plastic containers that are filled with BioBalls and Lava Rock. It sits about a foot off of the water.

We have a 3'' BD, as well as a no niche skimmer.

Right now we don't have the pump up completely because it starts to push the sand into the tank.

We want to do something different very shortly with the filtration system. We are thinking about making it a static basket, followed by 2 S/G filters.

We also thought about making some kind of a unit to be placed inside the TT bins of possibly a fan to help with air circulation and the exchange of gasses.

Also, I need some ideas for a filter for the show tank with a submersible pump rated for 800 GPH.
    Hi,

I tried reading the replies and help you've already received, but they're not making too much sense to me.

It seems the problem you're having with the big indoor pond is that you'd like to run the pump flat out, but at max flow, the sand is lifted and heads to the pond. See if I get this right for current set up:

Bottom drain > pump > S&G filter > TTs > return to pond. Skimmer is no doubt tied into the intake side of the pump. So basically, you're whole system is pump forced?

Couple suggestions for you depending on how ambitious you are:

First suggestion, re-configure the whole set up to gravity feed your skimmer and bottom drain to a settlement barrel/tote. A 55 gal won't settle much at the flow rate your pump is capable of so you may either have to go bigger, or split the flow into two pipes to two barrels. Drop a couple of air rings/diffusers into each barrel for cleaning and then dump in a buoyant media like K1. Attach your pump to the output of the settlement chambers and send some water to the sand and gravel, and the balance to the trickle towers. Just gravity drop the sand and gravel output back into the pond. This isn't perfect, but it would be a big improvement...

The cheap and dirty, gravity drop the sand and gravel water into the pond, and put a tee into the pipe on the outlet side of the pump and push water over your trickle tower. This could potentially foul the TT seeing as there wouldn't be any settlement/filtration prior to water entering the TT, but Im not sure how well they resist fouling as I don't have one.

Sky's the limit really, just dependent on your budget and your sweat...

By the way, you don't need some ridiculous flow rate as suggested. Just shoot for a turnover rate of about 2 times per hour and you're more than set. In 1500 gallons, if you start moving too much water, the current will be too much for the koi unless you've got a place for them to rest...

For your new show tank:

If you're planning on just pulling water out with the pump, then filtering it and sending it back to the show tank you'd best build a sand and gravel for that as well. It's really your best shot at capturing all the muck after the pump emulsifies it. That or you might get by with static K1 or simular again with aeration for cleaning. No matter the filter you go with on the show tank, plan on doing your maintenance to keep it from fouling. Also, make sure you drop the water in or spray it back in to keep the dissolved o2 as high as possible in the water.

One other consideration... My indoor tank is under-filtered for the water and koi its housing, but my temps are cooler intentionally so that feeding is extremely light (2 times per week, and not much at that). If you plan on keeping temps up to the point where you need feed regularly to maintain your koi, you're going to have to ramp up the filtration/water changes to meet the demand...

Best wishes, and I'll explain more if you need it.

Grant

Quote Originally Posted by gcuss View Post
    Hi,

I tried reading the replies and help you've already received, but they're not making too much sense to me.

It seems the problem you're having with the big indoor pond is that you'd like to run the pump flat out, but at max flow, the sand is lifted and heads to the pond. See if I get this right for current set up:

Bottom drain > pump > S&G filter > TTs > return to pond. Skimmer is no doubt tied into the intake side of the pump. So basically, you're whole system is pump forced?

Couple suggestions for you depending on how ambitious you are:

First suggestion, re-configure the whole set up to gravity feed your skimmer and bottom drain to a settlement barrel/tote. A 55 gal won't settle much at the flow rate your pump is capable of so you may either have to go bigger, or split the flow into two pipes to two barrels. Drop a couple of air rings/diffusers into each barrel for cleaning and then dump in a buoyant media like K1. Attach your pump to the output of the settlement chambers and send some water to the sand and gravel, and the balance to the trickle towers. Just gravity drop the sand and gravel output back into the pond. This isn't perfect, but it would be a big improvement...

The cheap and dirty, gravity drop the sand and gravel water into the pond, and put a tee into the pipe on the outlet side of the pump and push water over your trickle tower. This could potentially foul the TT seeing as there wouldn't be any settlement/filtration prior to water entering the TT, but Im not sure how well they resist fouling as I don't have one.

Sky's the limit really, just dependent on your budget and your sweat...

By the way, you don't need some ridiculous flow rate as suggested. Just shoot for a turnover rate of about 2 times per hour and you're more than set. In 1500 gallons, if you start moving too much water, the current will be too much for the koi unless you've got a place for them to rest...

For your new show tank:

If you're planning on just pulling water out with the pump, then filtering it and sending it back to the show tank you'd best build a sand and gravel for that as well. It's really your best shot at capturing all the muck after the pump emulsifies it. That or you might get by with static K1 or simular again with aeration for cleaning. No matter the filter you go with on the show tank, plan on doing your maintenance to keep it from fouling. Also, make sure you drop the water in or spray it back in to keep the dissolved o2 as high as possible in the water.

One other consideration... My indoor tank is under-filtered for the water and koi its housing, but my temps are cooler intentionally so that feeding is extremely light (2 times per week, and not much at that). If you plan on keeping temps up to the point where you need feed regularly to maintain your koi, you're going to have to ramp up the filtration/water changes to meet the demand...

Best wishes, and I'll explain more if you need it.

Grant

The skimmer is actually gravity fed. The water skims off the top into the skimmer, and it then goes somewhere, but I know it's not directly attached to the pump. I don't know much about the set up, but I know some.

I am going to let my husband read your thread post, and see what he thinks.

We always do water changes, so I know that we will be water changing the tank out often.

I do believe that my husband wants to change up the piping etc over this up coming weekend, so we will see what he changes.

The water temp right now in the tank is at 50F exact. I have only been feeding once a day, and they eat like pigs. Should I cut down on that?

Quote Originally Posted by mshill90 View Post
    The skimmer is actually gravity fed. The water skims off the top into the skimmer, and it then goes somewhere, but I know it's not directly attached to the pump. I don't know much about the set up, but I know some.

I am going to let my husband read your thread post, and see what he thinks.

We always do water changes, so I know that we will be water changing the tank out often.

I do believe that my husband wants to change up the piping etc over this up coming weekend, so we will see what he changes.

The water temp right now in the tank is at 50F exact. I have only been feeding once a day, and they eat like pigs. Should I cut down on that?

Well, I don't want to tell anyone what to do with their koi, but if they were mine, definitely. My water is at 58 degrees and my 7 koi (12' - 20") get a small handful of Kodama wheat germ every 3 days. I'd like my water to get down to 50 and I'll fast them for 6-8 weeks or so, but it doesn't look like the temp. outside is cooperating with my plan...

Best,

Grant

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234