Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle..reuse..did I say reuse...and reduce...and recycle

Daihonmei
    So Now to throw another aspect of being green...
    I added another no niche skimmer to the opposite corner of the pond...
    however I am using energy to run it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reduce, Reuse, Recycle..reuse..did I say reuse...and reduce...and recycle-img_0032.jpg  

Daihonmei
    and here is the cobbled together buncha crap from the yard that i used to plumb in the skimmer
    YES that is the top to a 20 gallon detergent barrel
    No i do not thing I will keep it like this...I've just got to see how it works for awhile... then tweak it.

BTW I am only using a 9 watt air pump/lift to operate the no niche skimmer..A big reduction in energy consumption. (REDUCE)
    Originally I started with a nine watt pump, but decided to test and see if the 22 watt medo would pull more water (it did but just barely, so I went back to the 9 watt).
    Odd thing is that the 9 watt pulls more water if used with an air stone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reduce, Reuse, Recycle..reuse..did I say reuse...and reduce...and recycle-img_0023.jpg  
    Last edited by luke frisbee; 03-20-2010 at 09:36 PM.

Fry
    Hi Luke,
    I found the thread, An interesting read. I like anything that cuts down on running costs.

What make is the little air pump and what air is it meant to deliver?

Mark

Daihonmei
    the exact pump is sl-14 from this aquatic ecosystem catalog
    Aquatic Eco-Systems: Koi Supplies - Sweetwater® Linear II Air Pumps

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    the exact pump is sl-14 from this aquatic ecosystem catalog
    Aquatic Eco-Systems: Koi Supplies - Sweetwater® Linear II Air Pumps
    Wow....a high-end air pump that pushes to a pretty decent depth for a smaller system...and uses only 9 watts? Good find!

It would be nice to determine the lpm airflow of this pump.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    Wow....a high-end air pump that pushes to a pretty decent depth for a smaller system...and uses only 9 watts? Good find!

It would be nice to determine the lpm airflow of this pump.

Well Ummmmmmm
    did you click on the 'Performance curves" on the page link I posted?
    it would show you this chart...
    you could guesstimate pretty close

http://www.aquatic-eco.com/images/st...urves/SL14.gif
    Last edited by luke frisbee; 03-30-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Daihonmei
    SIDEBAR:
    Since Aquatic Ecosystems got tired of selling products based on the manufacturer's boasts, and then having to deal with the disgruntled consumer....
    Aquatic ecosystems determines the actually performance of each product it sells and does NOT post the manufacturer's data but their own trustworthy information.

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by luke frisbee View Post
    Well Ummmmmmm
    did you click on the 'Performance curves" on the page link I posted?
    it would show you this chart...
    you could guesstimate pretty close

http://www.aquatic-eco.com/images/st...urves/SL14.gif
    Thanks, Luke!

Yeah, that was kind of a "D'OH!" moment for me, wasn't it?

I think it is great that you are digging into the issue of energy-efficiency so earnestly. We are getting pounded by electrical costs out here on the West Coast. I appreciate you documenting your efforts.

I wanted to ask you as to what your thoughts were regarding bubble size with respect to airlifts? I have read conflicting reports. It seems pretty clear that simply putting an airstone on an air line results in som back-pressure and probably some reduction in airflow. From my very rudimentary results, I can get decent water flow with a airline fed to the bottom of an airlift tube using no airstone -- just allowing the bubbles to blow right out of the 3/16" tubing. This results, of course, in larger, more *course* bubbles and a bit of "gurgling" as the water moves out of the airlift, but the flow is pretty good. People have stated that the smoother flow of more smaller bubbles (i. e., use an airstone) will result in a better water flow given the same amount of air injected at the bottom of the airlift, but I think one actually gets a bit less air when using an airstone because of the increased resistance.

With rspect to pure energy efficiency (watts consumed vs. water moved), I am not convinced that the dichotomy between +/- using airstones with airlifts has been fully addressed.

Any thoughts on this?

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    Thanks, Luke!

Yeah, that was kind of a "D'OH!" moment for me, wasn't it?

I think it is great that you are digging into the issue of energy-efficiency so earnestly. We are getting pounded by electrical costs out here on the West Coast. I appreciate you documenting your efforts.

I wanted to ask you as to what your thoughts were regarding bubble size with respect to airlifts? I have read conflicting reports. It seems pretty clear that simply putting an airstone on an air line results in som back-pressure and probably some reduction in airflow. From my very rudimentary results, I can get decent water flow with a airline fed to the bottom of an airlift tube using no airstone -- just allowing the bubbles to blow right out of the 3/16" tubing. This results, of course, in larger, more *course* bubbles and a bit of "gurgling" as the water moves out of the airlift, but the flow is pretty good. People have stated that the smoother flow of more smaller bubbles (i. e., use an airstone) will result in a better water flow given the same amount of air injected at the bottom of the airlift, but I think one actually gets a bit less air when using an airstone because of the increased resistance.

With rspect to pure energy efficiency (watts consumed vs. water moved), I am not convinced that the dichotomy between +/- using airstones with airlifts has been fully addressed.

Any thoughts on this?
    I wish I thought I had all the answers (So many do), I agree with everything you have said and we share the same frame of mind.
    I am pursuing a source that actually understands Fluid mechanics, And hope to convince him to straighten out the mess created by many of the "experts" in the area concerning the understanding of water movement in a koi pond and the filtration.

to reduce the gurgling without increasing the back pressure you can change from one 3/16th inch hole to a few 1/16th inch holes .

Luke Frisbee, I don't understand how you're making the no niche skimmer work. Could you elaborate on that? Assume you're talking to a total idiot.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast