Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle..reuse..did I say reuse...and reduce...and recycle

Daihonmei
    whether it shows or not I most often feel like I am addressing a total idiot..just most total idiots I don't like...
    But I'll try and explain what i did in detail.
    FIRST! i firmly believe inplumbing in extra bottom drains and side returns for future use....even though the hobby can get full of itself and think it has gotten all the answers it won't, something better will come along. So plumb some extra lines in while it will only cost a few bucks.
    One of the 2.5 inch diameter lines I had already plumbed into the side of the wall and near the bottom of my 2m deep pond is the line I attached the no-niche skimmer to. I then took the pipe coming up from that point and drilled a hole in it and ran an air line in it about a meter below the water surface. I then attached a "T" to the top of that pipe but with the "T" on its side. The air escapes out the top and the water flows out the side of the "T"and into a tray I have a filter on and it drains back into the pond through another pre-plumbed return.

Daihonmei
    Now if you do not understnad how an airlift works.....?

Oooohhh!!! Thanks!

Another question! Two, actually.

1. are you concerned about running your well dry?
    2. do you ever use treatments in your pond and if you do, are you concerned about the recycling putting anything back into your well water that shouldn't be in there?
    Thanks...

Daihonmei
    1. it is a shallow well...where does the water go when it goes out of the pond?

2. The only time I had to treat the pond I turned off the well and left it off four a few days...the chemicals became inert by that time.
    None of the wells are used for consumption out here. We are all on "city water'

Oh. We use our well for the house too. The well is over 400 feet deep and the water level is around 325. What is considered shallow I wonder?

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Oh. We use our well for the house too. The well is over 400 feet deep and the water level is around 325. What is considered shallow I wonder?
    my water table is from 3 to 7 ft below ground. It is so close to the surface that in order to build my pond 2 meters deep I had to build it 2.5 ft above ground, and I had to finish digging the depth during the dry (Spring) time of the year and get the concrete in before Summer.
    My well is supposedly 40ft deep and has never run dry.

Daihonmei
    and
    "The solution to pollution is dilution."

We only get a gallon a minute so I'm afraid of running the well dry. We lost one well when a neighbor drilled theirs. I trickle water into the pond at 4-5 gallons an hour. There's no city water where I live.

There's a spring down the road but I hesitate to use it because of field runoff and who knows what parasites might be in there. Yet many people have drank it all their lives.

With 14 koi in 5500 gallons, I wonder if a 10% weekly WC is adequate. My nitrate, nitrite and ammonia are zero so far but 7 koi are under 12 inches. Something must be functioning since my well nitrate is 10.

I envy you that gushing well!!!
    ...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Tategoi
    Nitrate is the thing to watch for in a well receiving pond dumps. If it's there, it's a good idea to look for life. A tower of some sort can remove most of the nitrates and even let you get away with smaller or less frequent dumps. Do keep in mind that 10% weekly dumps is a hobby established minimum. Most agriculturists recommend 25%

Nitrate removal is a new issue in aquaculture so there's not much research, so far. A new engineering text is Recirculating Aquaculture by Timmons and Ebeling. It's the best I've seen to date. They teach at Carnegie and this is the text for their Recirculating Aquaculture Training. Wheeton's Aquacultural Engineering will not be continuing and this is the same level text but with more modern systems. It's so interesting, should you get one, it will end up next to the chair where you watch TV.

They even have a chapter on hydroponics systems to help with waste removal. Nitrogen wastes being one of them. (I even take all 975 pages of it on vacation.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123