Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle..reuse..did I say reuse...and reduce...and recycle

Daihonmei

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle..reuse..did I say reuse...and reduce...and recycle

I feel like I realy accomplished something today...maybe tomorrow I'll go out to the pond and the bluebird of happiness won't be singing from a limb over the ol koi pond, but this evening it was a good feeling....

I kinda am chasing something but when i catch it I change it and continue catching..I mean chasing...
    This pond thing, I can't do it fast..many of us can't for one reason or another...usually money or freetime are the limitations..or so we think.

next bit of intro...
    Some of the slowness is created by our personal limitations, Physical and Mental. One of the biggest mistakes I have made is not being able to identify the constant monetary demand that having a large pond is before I built it.
    My Biggest problem...a standing problem. it doesn't go away.

I also have a 2500 gallon QT; That is some people's normal size pond. I run it with a small sequence pump but that is real money month in and month out...
    Slowly I am wrestling the bear to the ground.

Daihonmei
    I've identified the one true advantage i have that is unique to my situation... I have a well with good water for koi.
    While I knew that early, it wasn't until two years ago that I figured I could have a flow through system. well not really figured it out..I started trying to "do" a flow through...Money?
    Now I run a 1/3rd HP Performance Pro on the well...I get anywhere from 900-1500 GPH from the well... Performance Pro's are freakin great pumps..but they still require electricity....

Here is the three inch diameter pipe that the water from the Preformance pro pump drops into lakeLuke
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reduce, Reuse, Recycle..reuse..did I say reuse...and reduce...and recycle-img_0046.jpg  
    Last edited by luke frisbee; 03-04-2010 at 11:38 PM.

Daihonmei
    it isn't a straight path even if it is slow...as a matter of fact the slower the walk the more wobbly the path...althought the latter probably creates the former...
    When i decided to leave the Preformance Pro well pump on 24/7 I also decided to turn off the sequence pump on the QT, and instead drop a small (60 watts or so) mag drive submersible in the raceway filter chamber of LakeLuke and run a hose from it to the QT, which now made the QT flow through as well. (The hose is/was a foot above the QT). Less electricity than a small sequence but still money.

Daihonmei
    Another sidebar on the road
    While I made 30 inch wide skimmer bays I placed them 8 inches below the top of the wall of the lakeluke. I did that because way back then I read the sage advice that the water in a koi pond should be 6-10 inches below the top lip of the pond wall So the koi would not jump out and to make it more difficult on predators.
    And I did intend to have the water level so i could place working skimmers in the openings but....
    another side road... I have three big windows on the raised side of the pond facing the house..if i raise the pond water level to the top of the windows I have 20 inches of height up the windows, if I lower the pond level to the height for the skimmer openings to be usable i only have a veiw through the windows off a height less than a foot.
    And to top it off for every inch I raise the pond I gain about 850 gallons... So?
    The openings are now blocked off, and the pond is "full."

AND ALL THIS TO GET TO THIS.....
    I have had to almost cobble a working skimmer....more on that later too

Are you keeping up?

Daihonmei
    so
    much came before and this is not the end but today i completed a bit of plumbing that....
    reduces, reuses and recycles

This is the old skimmer (I turned it back on for a photo) ..It requires electricity...another mag drive submersible using 45 watts or so of money/electricity.
    I don't use it now..I have "reduced"...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reduce, Reuse, Recycle..reuse..did I say reuse...and reduce...and recycle-img_0045.jpg  

Daihonmei
    I now use this lovely no niche skimmer.... It has No pump and moves several hundred GPH. It does to. So from the one above to this I have reduced the consumption of electricity needed for Lakeluke. I turned of the flow-through and the Skimmer's mag-drive pumps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reduce, Reuse, Recycle..reuse..did I say reuse...and reduce...and recycle-img_0037.jpg  
    Last edited by luke frisbee; 03-04-2010 at 11:41 PM.

Daihonmei
    As well as not using the mag-drive pump to run the skimmer I now have no need for the mag drive to pump water to the QT to maintain it as a "flow through system" because the water going out through the no niche skimmer comes through this 2.5 inch diameter pipe and into the QT.
    Piping costs money too...but for all i needed I was able to get it from the bone yard of PVC on the side of the house To the point that I had to buy a 4 inch to 2.5 inch reducer to have enough pipe to run from LakeLuke to the QT.
    I even got some of the fittings for "cheap"...I bought six 4-inch diameter four-way couplings for 1 cent each several years ago from Home Depot. I had no need for them but Home Depot sometimes reduces their unwanted stock to a penny...you just have to be there.
    Anyway that combination of 4 inch and 2.5 inch diameter pvc piping (much of it recycled) allows several hundred gallons to flow from the No Niche Skimmer through to the QT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reduce, Reuse, Recycle..reuse..did I say reuse...and reduce...and recycle-img_0040.jpg  
    Last edited by luke frisbee; 03-04-2010 at 11:42 PM.

Daihonmei
    The 1/3rd horsepower Performance Pro pump is instrumental in maintaining quality water in lakeluke. That cannot be changed much (perhaps I could go to a 1/4th HP pump).
    I was just allowing the water to flow thorugh LakeLuke, and pump some of it over to the QT. Most of it goes into the ground and becomes groundwater, and eventually goes back to the well to be recycled.
    By plumbing a no niche skimmer so the overflow from Lakeluke went to the QT I was reusing the water And reducing the need for more water by the QT, and reducing (eliminating) the amount of electricity needed for skimming and pumping the water to the QT.
    Feels good tonight.
    Last edited by luke frisbee; 03-04-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Jumbo
    Good ideas Luke, ya did good. Now all you need is a catch basin for your flow through water to re use it for irrigation.

Daihonmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    Good ideas Luke, ya did good. Now all you need is a catch basin for your flow through water to re use it for irrigation.

isn't the ground a catch basin?
    My irrigation system is on the same well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast