Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re: frp filter

Sansai

Smile re: frp filter

Has anyone have used these, I would appreciate some feedback. I have a 5500 gal pond that I am building.

Thank you,
    Steve

I've never used one myself, but I have seen 'em advertised. They look like a reasonably good prefab version of the up/down chambered systems that are commonplace in Japan and most of S.E. Asia. If installed as a gravity fed system they allow for very low head pumps that use a tiny amount of electricity.
    The Yumota series looks like they should be sized right for your pond.

Sansai
    Thank You So Much for your input PapaBear.
    We were looking for a lower maintenance system then the one we have.
    We have a bead filter system that we would have to back wash too often.
    Saw the frp filter system at the Orlando Koi show and thought that was a good idea.

Thank You again, will do a little more homework on it.

Best wishes..

Steven and Lori

You might do a little poking around at the Malaysian Koi Forum. There are quite a few hobbyists there who have this style of chambered filter (in concrete rather than FG). That way you can get a good feel for what their experiences are.
    Another person to ask about it might be Frank Morales. He has built several excellent ponds using filter bays like this (concrete) out in California. I saw one of them in Bakersfield last year (a huge and beautiful beast it was) and its performance is excellent. Mike and Mikki Hernandez took some great pictures of the pond that he might have posted somewhere.

P.S. The bead filter might still come in handy for a skimmer circuit to "polish" the water a bit if you like.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Sansai

Question

Thank You again PapaBear.

Please give your input on this.

Am in need of your expertise please.

I was hoping to use the FRP filter system with the 4" koi toilet. I would like to use a simple biofalls with a skimmer circuit and see if I can leave out the bead filter all together. (if it's a good idea)

In my previous pond, I had something similar to the FRP filter system, but much smaller.

It kept the water crystal clear, but it was too small for the pond and had to clean it out frequently to keep the water clear, and We never lost a Koi with that system. (thank goodness..we had no idea about Koi keeping)

Nothing wrong with the Koi Toilet so long as you make sure you match your plumbing to the flow rate of your filter and pump. That is a very important factor as you want to draw the flow all the way though the filter bay with gravity and then pump the return back to the pond. If you go that route you might even be able to go with an airlift return and save yourself some coin on electricity.

So far as the skimmer circuit is concerned, you need to be mindful of the fact that removing floating debris is the primary concern and water polishing is the fringe benefit. If you already have a biofalls there's nothing wrong with giving it a try, but they don't excel at removing floating debris or "polishing" your water. You already have the bead filter so using it won't require a new purchase and media can be easily changed (if necessary) to perform well at polishing your water.

Sansai
    Thank you PapaBear.

Always appreciate your help.

I was hoping to pump the water from the Koi toilet to the frp filter and gravity the water out as the manufactur diagram says it can be done eithe way.
    Now after reading your reply, I thought
    I would also use my bead filter in line the skimmer circut. Do you think this will work for me?

Thank you so much again you have been very helpful.

Sansai
    one More thing I need to run by you.

We also have 900 watt 3 bulb uv light can I or should I incorporate this in. Is this over kill and if so, should I get a smaller one?
    (we were told by our koi club that it would be over kill, and were told maybe just need a 35 watt instead)

Thank you again.

Quote Originally Posted by sav3406 View Post
    Thank you PapaBear.

Always appreciate your help.

I was hoping to pump the water from the Koi toilet to the frp filter and gravity the water out as the manufactur diagram says it can be done eithe way.
    Now after reading your reply, I thought
    I would also use my bead filter in line the skimmer circut. Do you think this will work for me?

Thank you so much again you have been very helpful.
    The most desirable method is gravity flow to and through the filter bays and then on to the pump. This allows for better settlement of wastes in the vortex chamber and less fouling in the biochambers. This also gives you greater flexibility on your water return as water is easily diverted from the pump discharge to either a water fall, mid water returns, or a combination of returns as need or weather may dictate. This is of course assuming that you have the filter installed in-ground rather than above ground.

If you are going with an above ground installation gravity feed isn't really an option so pumping raw, unsettled water into the vortex chamber is your only real option. It will mean a bit more media cleaning, but the upside to that is that you will likely do more frequent water changes in the cleaning process (See, there is a silver lining to "2nd best")

Quote Originally Posted by sav3406 View Post
    one More thing I need to run by you.

We also have 900 watt 3 bulb uv light can I or should I incorporate this in. Is this over kill and if so, should I get a smaller one?
    (we were told by our koi club that it would be over kill, and were told maybe just need a 35 watt instead)

Thank you again.
    Nothing wrong with overkill on the U.V. You can easily wire each bulb to a separate on/off switch to use only as much as you need and only turn any of it on when you need to. With a 900 watt unit you can kill a massive bloom in a heartbeat, run only a single bulb for minor issues, or simply shut it off when you don't need it at all. Win-Win and you don't have to spend any extra money up front

Sansai
    Thank you for your insight PapaBear.

We are going to chew on this some more.

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast