Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: sealing skimmer edge to concrete

Tosai

sealing skimmer edge to concrete

Hello,
    Sorry for having yet another question.

Have been slowly increasing water level in new pond. Construction is poured slab bottom, filled block wall. One coat of plaster and 3 coats of Thoroseal for waterproofing.

Today I added water up to 1" into the throat of the skimmer (Savio Skimmerfilter model 85). At that level the pond developed a somewhat powerful (IMO) leak around the skimmer edge, with water making its way out the back of the pond wall. Upon noticing this I immediately lowered the pond level below the skimmer.

Below is a pic of the skimmer face/concrete junction. The skimmer faceplate is not yet installed. I'm wondering how best to seal things up in there. Should I leave what's there, or chip out the Thorseal? After that, do I goop in more of the same, or something better? Maybe some kind of tar, or silicone, or epoxy, or ???

This is what I get for having regular concrete guys, not pond (or even pool) guys do the waterproofing...

Thanks in advance everyone!

eds
    Sansai
    Do you have something called Gold Label Sealant wherever you are? I used it to seal around my skimmer that I fitted into an already built wall and it has done a great job. It dries but stays slightly flexible so will cope with expansion/contraction.

Tosai
    Thanks for the tip eds, the Gold Label stuff looks very good. Unfortunately it seems to be a UK-based product, every place I've seen it for sale has the price in GBP.

While ordering online and waiting for it to get here is a possibility, was hoping to find something I could pick up locally and use this weekend. I imagine the Gold Label stuff is probably a relabeled product from 3M or DAP or the like? Just a question of which formulation...

Here's something I was thinking about:
    DAP

eds
    Sansai
    I'd be careful with that as it says that it is mould resistant and usually the stuff they put in to prevent mould is lethal to fish!

There must be a US version rather than having to ship it from over here. I will try and search for a trade name this weekend if I can so you can get it over there.

Tosai
    I think I'm going to try a product called "Vulkem 116", looks pretty good. It's polyurethane so it should be fish-safe, even though they won't be going in the pond for at least another 3-6 weeks.

eds
    Sansai
    Cool, sounds like a plan. Just call the manufacturers and find out if it has any fungicides in that could kill your fish first!

Nisai
    Hi there, sorry was looking thru older threads and came across yours.

Did you come right with your leakign skimmer?

Looking at your skimmer, looks like it's a fibreglass skimmer and not a gunnite (concrete) skimmer, so this would be the first problem with your skimmer leaking. All those holes are for screwing into a fibreglass shell, so you would need to fill them in if your not screwing in.

Hopefully you have already come right, just in future check for the correct weir for either fibreglass or conrete pools\ponds

Tosai
    Hello,
    The Vulkem 116 worked great. The fish ended up going in about 2 weeks later, no problems. We've even had an earthquake or two, no leaks or other problems to report.

The skimmer is a Savio Skimmerfilter, a regular plastic one. It maybe looks fiberglass in the pic because of the concrete "overspray".