Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: plumbing help

plumbing help

Hi, I am trying to plan out a pond and I need some help figuring out the plumbing. ...

I am using a show tank which has an outlet that is 3" (knife valve). However the pump that I am going to use has 1- 1/2" inlet-and-outlets (for pipes). In addition the filter that i am going to use has 1- 1/2" hose fittings. The problem is that I don't know how to get from the 3" knife valve to a 1.5" pipe for the pump and then convert the pipe from the pump to the hose fittings on the filter. In addition I need to convert the hose outlet (1.5") from the filter into a pipe of the same size and pipe it back into the pond.

Does that make sense? I've been doing some research online and I think I would use hose-pipe adapters to switch between the filter and pump and bushings(?) to lower the knife valve's 3" into 1.5" to fit the pump's inlet. I'm not sure though if it would work and I wanted to double check here...

Thanks.

They make pvc reducers that you can get at any big box store or hardware store. They also have pipe and hose thread connectors.

Jumbo
    Like Kntry said, Lowes or Home Depot will have everything you need.

Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post
    Hi, I am trying to plan out a pond and I need some help figuring out the plumbing. ...

I am using a show tank which has an outlet that is 3" (knife valve). However the pump that I am going to use has 1- 1/2" inlet-and-outlets (for pipes). In addition the filter that i am going to use has 1- 1/2" hose fittings. The problem is that I don't know how to get from the 3" knife valve to a 1.5" pipe for the pump and then convert the pipe from the pump to the hose fittings on the filter. In addition I need to convert the hose outlet (1.5") from the filter into a pipe of the same size and pipe it back into the pond.

Does that make sense? I've been doing some research online and I think I would use hose-pipe adapters to switch between the filter and pump and bushings(?) to lower the knife valve's 3" into 1.5" to fit the pump's inlet. I'm not sure though if it would work and I wanted to double check here...

Thanks.
    When you say 1.5" hose fittings on the filter, do you mean barbed fittings or threaded? If it is barbed you might get lucky and be able to use 1.5" flex pvc and glue the appropriate male or female or better yet union to the flex hose. If the filter has threaded fittings, you would need to determine whether or not the fittings are NST (coarse threads) or NPSH (fine threads). Adapters for these can be had at fire hose supply outlets.

Daihonmei
    yep take it in there and show em what has to go to what.