Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Pond Leak, ideas on fixing

Pond Leak, ideas on fixing

Hello I am brand new to Koi Bito.

I have about an 800 gallon pond with a rubber liner. This was my first pond build, so it doesn't have a skimmer or bottom drain. It also has a DIY bio filter and used carpet for the undelayment. I could go on and tell you more about this redneck thrown togeather pond, but I would rather talk about its leak and my ideas on how to fix it. I would apreciate any and all input. Teasing is fine, just remember I am a noob .

So for the last 4 weeks or so we have noticd a slow leak in the pond. My husband thinks we have been loosing about 10 gallons or so daily. Recently we did pond maintenance, and discovered what feels like a root between the underlayment and the pond liner. The root has a sharp bit that has created what feels like a pinhole in the liner.

So how should I fix this?

The hardest obviously is draining the pond, and taking down the liner. That way I can see exactly what is going on, remove any problems, and add or reset the underlayment needed. Patch the pin hole, refill, and I am back in business.

My husband's idea is to double the thickness of the lowest area of the pond with left over liner. This doesn't address what punctured the liner though.

We could cut a secton out of the liner (this makes me nervous) big enough to get to the problem. We then would remove the promblem and patch the liner.

So any recomendations, thoughts, or ideas?

I have alot of excess liner btw. Before we fix the leak I am going to have to build a holding tank for the fish. They are too big to go in my fry tank in the house.

Thank you very much and I look forward to hearing your replies.

Amanda

MCA
    we all started somewhere!

You can build a 4x4 tank out of 4 sheets of plywood (at least 1/2") and use 2x6s horizontally as ribs on the outside of the plywood. When I build ours I used 5 2x6 on each side and 45 degree cut the boards. I use 10" long L brackets and 3" long lag bolts to put the corners together. Using the L brackets you do not have to worry a board will split in a corner.

You can then drag and fold liner or other water proof plastic to hold the water. If you fill it 3' that is around 1,000 gallos as I remember.

So you move the fish...and try to fix the liner with a liner patch kit (like of like a inner tube patch kit)......but.....what are going to do about the problems with the current pond design? This is the perfect time to put in a BD and skimmer.

consider joining a local koi club you can find them listed at www.akca.org

use the experiences/expertise in the local club, from of the koi kichi on this site and a few others...and start a library of koi books.

A good first book is Koi for Dummies. No insult meant...it is the name of the book. You can get via a local book store or Amazon...for around $25.

Remember that koi are large riverine carp....that immediately tells you something about the target koi pond charactoristics....deep, width, with significant current. That is very different from a water garden or water features. Form follows function.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Thank you MCA

I have that book, I picked up a week or two ago and have been reading chapters here and there.

The lowest part of my pond is 3.5 feet. It was planned to be 4 foot deep, however we had to stop cause we hit hard pan. So installing a BD might not be possible. My husband said he will see what he can do when we get to that point.

I built a Oase type skimmer, we have been working out how to power it.

We are thinking about building something a little more permanent to keep the pond fish. After the repairs have been made and the fish go back to their home, the new pond will probably be used to keep 20 koi fry. I am going to try and thin that number down.

again thank you for your comments

Amanda

MCA
    I understand the hard digging. For our 8" pond we had to cut though hard packed GA clay with streaks of granite. That goodness a backhoe did most of it. But I had to take the last foot or so out by hand using a bucket brigrade. No fun at all.

To put in the BD, get a Bosch or Hilti hammer drill set to hammer only. Use a chipper or shovel bit to chip out the hard clay. When the BD and and pipes (4" drail and 1" air line) are installed, don't forget to concrete them into place. Don't just shovel back dirt as it will not protect them from the water pressure.

MCA have you heard about the aqua art bottom drains? We might go that route. Here is a link to th site.

Aqua Art Pond Supplies....Bottom Drains, Retro Drains

http://www.koi-bito.com/forum/member...pump-1500.html

This is to give you a rough idea what I have.