Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: bighatbulls 2nd pond

bighatbulls 2nd pond

My Husband and I are getting ready to build our second pond. This pond will be based on a design seen on YouTube. The main part of the pond will be 4x4x8, the filtration box will be 1x1x8. The pond should hold about 900 gallons.
    We are thinking about using an Aqua Art bottom drain, plumbed to a waste collector, and a UVF. This will be powered by a 2000GPH pump insuring a turn over rate of twice an hour. The pump will feed to a PVC shower bar inside the bio filter top box. Bio Filter media for this pond will be pea gravel and sand. We are planning to use boggy plants in the filter. We don’t think we will need a skimmer in this pond because we will be using fiberglass window screen to keep the pond covered when not being viewed. (That is we will be making window screens like the ones used on windows, with brackets, to cover the pond.)

I will begin posting pictures and a diary once the project gets underway.

Are you sure you want to go with the sand/gravel filter?

They can be a real maintenance nightmare as they are a 24 carat pain to service and clean. They start up well, but once they begin to load up with detritus plugging and channeling become a big issue.

That is a good point. I could build a screen tray or set of trays about 1and a half to 2 inches deep to just have peagravel and maybe small river rock for the top, and then go with other filter media below. We are pushing this build back now till fall so I have time to hammer out more details on it.

Meg
    go bigger, promise you will wish you had

Daihonmei
    BHb
    I read your idea on what you are considering building and like meg i felt you are going way too small...so amall that I didn't even wanna comment on whatever else you were doing concerning the new pond because it really isn't suited to be a KOI pond at all.
    The great thing is you aren't going to start till the Fall, by then you'll have changed everything (three times).

Well, yes bigger would be better, yet this is only one of two ponds we are planning to build. The next pond will have an interior of about 6x12. We keep changing the depth. At first is was 4 foot, now its seems like it might be 6 foot.

After reading all of your thoughts and comments I thought I should tell you guys that this is just a inbetween pond. I plan on using it as a QT tank, a temporary home for the recent pond inhabitants, and probably the crapagoi fry will have a stay in the box as well. We would like to build it so it can be taken apart and moved if needed. Lastly it will actually be bigger than the recent pond by about 200 gal.

I could buy a show tank or a swiming pool I guess, but I don't trust the area where I could set that up.

NOW we're talkin' Building a good QT tank as a "'tweener" pond is a good idea. Design it around that permanent use plan and you'll be doing yourself a big favor for the long haul. I would still avoid the sand/gravel bed filter for maintenance reasons, but your basics are otherwise good.