Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sealers for rock and cement ponds.

MCA
    to be bear proof....maybe the sealant needs to be on the outside of the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Good point. "Bear Sealant. 6' tall, High Voltage..."

As to sealing the pond, Steve is nailing it down pretty nicely. Embedded Rock without reinforcement in the base will inevitably crack apart and leak and the walls will be subject to heaving at the perimeter which is likely the source of your leakage for now.

I'd suggest you look over some of the other pond construction threads (while bearing in mind the structural issues already discussed) to see what works well for others. You may find that a complete do-over is a better option than a re-work. Your pond looks very shallow (hence the perceived need for the cave) and rebuilding with proper depth will act as a better deterrent to predation by bears or anything else. It will give you insight on depth, filtration, flow characteristics, etc... to help you make fully informed choices.

You can have plenty of rock-work incorporated into a pond and waterfall area (as do I) for aesthetics. They just need to be used as superficial elements added to a sound structure and design.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Good point. "Bear Sealant. 6' tall, High Voltage..."

As to sealing the pond, Steve is nailing it down pretty nicely. Embedded Rock without reinforcement in the base will inevitably crack apart and leak and the walls will be subject to heaving at the perimeter which is likely the source of your leakage for now.

I'd suggest you look over some of the other pond construction threads (while bearing in mind the structural issues already discussed) to see what works well for others. You may find that a complete do-over is a better option than a re-work. Your pond looks very shallow (hence the perceived need for the cave) and rebuilding with proper depth will act as a better deterrent to predation by bears or anything else. It will give you insight on depth, filtration, flow characteristics, etc... to help you make fully informed choices.

You can have plenty of rock-work incorporated into a pond and waterfall area (as do I) for aesthetics. They just need to be used as superficial elements added to a sound structure and design.
    I actually had a electric fence all round it a few years ago but I guess the voltage wasn't high enough as it didn't even fry an eyelash!

A do over might be what I am in for. I'll go check out the threads on this topic and get some ideas and yes PapaBear, the cave was built because the highest point in the pond is only around 4ft. I know it should have been deeper but I was working with what I had at the time. Sigh...live and learn.
    Thanks so much for all the replies. It's been helpful and enjoyable to converse with you all on this matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12