Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Filter media crushed or whole?

Ok the best way to describe Reedley and earthquakes, when you drop a pebble in a pool it makes rings right? Reedley is sort of on or near the last ring when it comes to earthquakes. It doesn't mean we don't have or feel them, it just means that they are not as dramatic.

Our weather can and has dipped below 32 degrees in the winter, it just depends, snow is a rarity, fog is a reality. Summers are dry, ranging between 98 and 103 degrees. The location for this pond will be in a shady area during the summer, and we are using foam board insulation as undelayment for the liner.

Critters we do have a possum family and neighborhood cats. I can't see a possum being able to get up on the pond who's edge is 4 foot high. I would be more concerned about the cats. I'll talk to Doc about this.

The horribly drawn waterfall is just an return to the pond. Here is an earlier draft of what the pond will look like.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filter media crushed or whole?-ag-wood-pond-filter.jpg  

Cubits! Cool A square Cubit holds more water than a square foot

Quite a few people on the forum have built similar setups for QT and indoor garage ponds (for overwintering). You'll find a few in this forum and some have a lot of detail on proper re-enforcement of the sidewalls which is a really, REALLY good thing to know going in... I know of one case where the first try wasn't quite strong enough and things "around the pond" wound up holding a lot more water than the tank did

Steve Jonelli (Birdman) posted up a good one but he used a bakki shower filter instead.
    Well worth a read for your edification

This is a setup that would lend itself well to an airlift if you want to cut down on utility costs. Instead of putting the raceway on top it would be on the side at the same level as the top of the tank. Very cost effective to construct and especially cheap and efficient to operate.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

I am thinking about using garden timbers 3inX4inX8foot from lowes to make the sides for the top and bottom. When I did the math for the timbers vrs. plywood it came out cheaper.

MCA
    huge problem with cubits....there is no "the cubit"....lots of measurements in antiquity all named cubit.

Cubit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is one of the reasons folks get widely ranging measurements for Noak's Arc or the Arc of the Covenant.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post

This is a setup that would lend itself well to an airlift if you want to cut down on utility costs. Instead of putting the raceway on top it would be on the side at the same level as the top of the tank. Very cost effective to construct and especially cheap and efficient to operate.
    Hmm, back to the drawing board, just don't tell doc I might try and squeeze some more square footage in there

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    huge problem with cubits....there is no "the cubit"....lots of measurements in antiquity all named cubit.

This is one of the reasons folks get widely ranging measurements for Noak's Arc or the Arc of the Covenant.
    Well MY Cubit is 18 3/4" long
    Used to be 19"...but there was a power tool incident...

Secret's out

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post

Darn! now my secret is out. I've been doing everything totally random, "oh, that looks right to me." kind of thing and it's worked so far. When they asked me how long it was, I would tell them in cubits because it's easier to divide numbers in base 7 and they would stop asking. Ah well, it's not such a tragic loss. I wonder how different the world would be if the Arc of the Covenant was captained by Captain Jack Sparrow. Would Noah not have sunk it then? Anyway, I digress.

I would like to see an airlift configuration on this thing. As for the possum family living around our house, Amanda can tell you about the baby possum that was ON THE ROOF! directly over the place where the QT pond will be. It might be better to look at something like expanded metal (it's the zig zaggy screen they make picnic tables out of) or perforated metal as a top covering. However, I have had the thought of using sheets of acrylic as well. I want to avoid any metals except stainless steel in direct contact with the water and that would be the only reason for using an acrylic hood. I can get the expanded metal painted or rubberized, but I worry that if I have it rubberized, someone will think it's a picnic table.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    The QT tank will be made out of wood and be above ground. It is 4DX4WX8L. The filter sits on top of the box and is 1DX1.5WX8. All measurements are in feet. I am thinking about using Sterlite Ultra Baskets to hold the media. They are 16X13.5X10 (inches)

Notice there is not prefilter before the pump on this drawing, and there is no skimmer. We are hoping to not need a skimmer because this pond will be covered with window screens.
    I don't get it!?

The filter is 18 inches (1.5') wide and the media is in 16" x 13.5" plastic baskets?

Won't the water take the path of least resistance?

:-/

Quote Originally Posted by DrCreosote View Post
    Darn! now my secret is out. ...When they asked me how long it was, I would tell them in cubits because it's easier to divide numbers in base 7 and they would stop asking. Ah well, it's not such a tragic loss. I wonder how different the world would be if the Arc of the Covenant was captained by Captain Jack Sparrow. Would Noah not have sunk it then? Anyway, I digress.
    Dang. Another full blown SJValley smartass
    Are we brothers separated at birth?

Quote Originally Posted by DrCreosote View Post
    I would like to see an airlift configuration on this thing. As for the possum family living around our house, Amanda can tell you about the baby possum that was ON THE ROOF! directly over the place where the QT pond will be. It might be better to look at something like expanded metal (it's the zig zaggy screen they make picnic tables out of) or perforated metal as a top covering. However, I have had the thought of using sheets of acrylic as well. I want to avoid any metals except stainless steel in direct contact with the water and that would be the only reason for using an acrylic hood. I can get the expanded metal painted or rubberized, but I worry that if I have it rubberized, someone will think it's a picnic table.
    The whole "picnic table" confusion thing goes WAY down while they're spawning. Smells like the washroom in a whorehouse and your sandwiches get all wet from the splashin' That and the sound of water trickling around makes everyone get up to pee every 5 minutes and then the dang possums come and steal your sandwich while you're gone

LOL! Doc is a recent valley transplant Papa. I went to Utah for some reason and took my shovel and axe with me. Good thing I had my 4x4 cause it took that and a good piece of chain to drag him back with me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast