Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Filter media crushed or whole?

You went to Utah and came back to Reedly on PURPOSE??? Didn't he show you around a bit while you were there? There's some pretty country up on the north end ya know I lived in Rangely, Colorado many moons ago. Just over the line from Vernal, which everybody around there called "Venerial"

Honmei
    O, not to be "petty" here, but anyone can tell someone how to build a pond. Sometimes those answers will be right, and sometimes wrong. May I suggest that you read the series of articles, "It's a System," in the KOI USA archive (you must be a KOI USA subscriber)? The articles are designed to explain the "whys" of pond construction.

Login

Now, back to the original question, whole or crushed oyster shell? Oyster shell is typically used when the source water does not have buffering capacity. The rate at which it disolves is dependent on the amount of shell surface area, the Ph of the water, and the rate water flows over it. Crushed oyster shell is typically used after mechanical and bio filtration since the water is cleaner aand it is less likely to trap solids (a huge problem for fine medias). Whole shell is typically best suited for shower style filters where there is more water flow and there is less likelihood for packing/channeling.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Jumbo
    Koi.cymru explains nothing...just shows you.

Koi.com.my is the most politely blunt full blown source of sifu science in the internet world. Likely though, still overun by posting Americans. Use search and archives.

I love the big hat no cattle image, enhanced finely by the hog ropin of a Utah boy story. But why not dig? Sink it Baby!

Quote Originally Posted by mitten View Post
    Koi.cymru explains nothing...just shows you.

Koi.com.my is the most politely blunt full blown source of sifu science in the internet world. Likely though, still overun by posting Americans. Use search and archives.

I love the big hat no cattle image, enhanced finely by the hog ropin of a Utah boy story. But why not dig? Sink it Baby!
    The Malaysian forum still kicks it pretty good for good filtration info, but as always you need to be "discriminating" with your reading David Soon has posted some excellent stuff on a variety of filtration methods from the most high tech ideas to the simplest long throw systems. Mark's old classic on dealing with Nitrates is still a big sticky and Jeff (Carpa Diem) has posted up some goodies of late too. The serious Kichi in SE Asia are definitely a serious resource for solid info imho.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Dang. Another full blown SJValley smartass
    Are we brothers separated at birth?

The whole "picnic table" confusion thing goes WAY down while they're spawning. Smells like the washroom in a whorehouse
    Hmmmm. . . I didn't know you worked there too. Maybe we were coworkers at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by DrCreosote View Post
    Hmmmm. . . I didn't know you worked there too. Maybe we were coworkers at some point.
    We're gonna be good friends I can just tell...

To Schildkoi we are not USA Koi subscribers yet, but plan to be in the near future. I will look up the series when that happens. Thank you for better explaining the differences between whole and crushed oyster shell.

to Mitten: Its a QT tank, you haven't heard my plans for the "real pond" yet Doc has nightmares that I might find more room for either a bigger pond or several smaller ones Keeps my dad from dragging any more junk home. Ah, yes we live with my folks, but the house is a mini mansion and they can't afford it with out us.

To Papa I came back during Easter from Colorado to visit my family and got stuck here. Then life happened, life is sticky...

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    I don't get it!?

The filter is 18 inches (1.5') wide and the media is in 16" x 13.5" plastic baskets?

Won't the water take the path of least resistance?

:-/
    Ric, I am using foam beadboard insulation as a liner pad. I am planning to make the trough custom fit for the baskets.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123