Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Filter System Critique and Possible Upgrades

First of all, thanks for the additional ideas, Mitten, and you are a true 'koi keeper's philosopher', you seem to be all about low maintenance like me--- gotta' meet you at a show or some koi related shindig one day here in Florida.... Do you ever hang with the Rainbow River, Gainesville or Nature Coast Club crowd?

And Ricshaw, thanks for the sand bed ideas as well. My backyard is small and space is at a premium (along with my wife's patience in using up all available garden space!) I don't know much about sieves myself, but I've seen a local guy build one that seems to pick up an amazing amount of minute particles in a hurry. He's got it on his skimmer circuit and says the logic behind putting it there is really simple; everything foreign that gets in to your pond arrives via the surface. And if it floats long enough, and your sieve screen is 'small' enough, you've got a good shot at scooping it out right at the get go. I've noticed on close inspection, as you probably have, that even minute dust particles float for an amazingly long time, long enough to strain 'em out if you have means to do so.

One thing I have read elsewhere on this site is there seems to be a bias against 'pump fed' sieve action vs. gravity fed. Not sure why that would be, perhaps the efficiency of 'pull vs. push'? Maybe someone can enlighten us here?

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Question: Is the UV needed to keep the pond clear?
    If you turn the UV off will the water look green?
    Actually, it does seem necessary. I know fellow enthusists have said on this forum that a well built pond/system shouldn't need UV, and who am I to disagree with the likes of Mr. Benbow, amongst many others? My pond has only been functional for a little over a year now and may not be well seasoned yet. But I let the bulb go for about a year without replacing it, then one day, got that sickly 'pea green' cast to the water. Sure enough, the manufacturer recommend a lamp change at 10 months or so. I did as 'recommended' and it cleared up in just a couple of days. They aren't cheap, and my electric bill is certainly big enough without them. I might try another 'shut down' of the UV again some day, and we've all read a ton about the pros and cons of UV on our website here. But for me, past experience seems to put me in the 'I gotta have it' column. Have you found yourself able to get by without one?

Jumbo
    Your pond is a beauty and my heartfelt recommendation is "leave it alone." See how much food you can throw into the fishmouths you've got. A fine, fine pond, mucho filtration, a long warm season...feed em...feed em lots. And remember, post pics, here would be fine.

So yep, see you soon. I got down to that Rainbow River young koi show a couple weeks ago cuz my buddy Luke drove up here so I had a ride. Also trying to get some Pondhoppers over here for some water bulldoggin. YeeHaaaaw!

Quote Originally Posted by almostgeorgia View Post
    Actually, it does seem necessary. I know fellow enthusists have said on this forum that a well built pond/system shouldn't need UV, and who am I to disagree with the likes of Mr. Benbow, amongst many others? My pond has only been functional for a little over a year now and may not be well seasoned yet. But I let the bulb go for about a year without replacing it, then one day, got that sickly 'pea green' cast to the water. Sure enough, the manufacturer recommend a lamp change at 10 months or so. I did as 'recommended' and it cleared up in just a couple of days. They aren't cheap, and my electric bill is certainly big enough without them. I might try another 'shut down' of the UV again some day, and we've all read a ton about the pros and cons of UV on our website here. But for me, past experience seems to put me in the 'I gotta have it' column. Have you found yourself able to get by without one?
    Yes, I am able to get by without a UV light.

You might try only running your UV light only 6 months out of the year.
    Shut down the UV light during the colder months to save on bulb life and electricity.

It is my opinion that 4 cu. ft. of bead media is not enough bio filtration media for a 5400 gallon pond.
    If you added more biological filtration like a shower filter or some other submerged media bio filter, you would not need the UV light.
    You already have the pumps to run it. Just figure out the where and what.

It is my opinion that 4 cu. ft. of bead media is not enough bio filtration media for a 5400 gallon pond.
    If you added more biological filtration like a shower filter or some other submerged media bio filter, you would not need the UV light.
    You already have the pumps to run it. Just figure out the where and what.

Thanks, Ricshaw, I know the manufacturers say a bead filter of that dimension would more than filter my 5400 gal, but I have my doubts. I was considering a 'kaldes' bio filter of some sort, added after the bead filter to give the bio side of things more 'lift'. Not necessarily a nexus, but something like it. Is that what you mean by your suggestion of 'submerged media' bio filter, or were you suggesting yet another system? I'd love to build a bakki shower, but the Mrs. has put an 'ix-nay' on something that tall and difficult for me to camouflage in our limited garden space. A kaldes style filter I can handle.

MCA
    hit the showers! seriously I have nothing better for offgassing, aeration, and ammonia handling. You can even build in a skimmer on the return pipe to skim off DOCs. Just hide the shower stand around a decorative wall, or around the corner of the house or....

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    hit the showers! seriously I have nothing better for offgassing, aeration, and ammonia handling. You can even build in a skimmer on the return pipe to skim off DOCs. Just hide the shower stand around a decorative wall, or around the corner of the house or....
    ...tell your wife it is a piece of art!

The pond in the picture is not mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filter System Critique and Possible Upgrades-bakki_0117.jpg   Filter System Critique and Possible Upgrades-bakki_0116.jpg  

Thanks, Ricshaw, I know the manufacturers say a bead filter of that dimension would more than filter my 5400 gal, but I have my doubts. I was considering a 'kaldes' bio filter of some sort, added after the bead filter to give the bio side of things more 'lift'. Not necessarily a nexus, but something like it. Is that what you mean by your suggestion of 'submerged media' bio filter, or were you suggesting yet another system? I'd love to build a bakki shower, but the Mrs. has put an 'ix-nay' on something that tall and difficult for me to camouflage in our limited garden space. A kaldes style filter I can handle.
    It can be something as simple as a small chamber connected to the pond and the same height, and gravity fed, before the pump, with rock as the filtering media.
    Find an old copy of KOI USA & Associated Koi Clubs of America Present Practical Koi Keeping Volume 1 for ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filter System Critique and Possible Upgrades-akca_practv1.jpg   Filter System Critique and Possible Upgrades-dwnflow.gif  

It can be something as simple as a small chamber connected to the pond and the same height, and gravity fed, before the pump, with rock as the filtering media.
    This is interesting and a possibility.

Pond_Construction_&_Water_Filtering_System

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast