Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Filter System Critique and Possible Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by Retired View Post
    Here are a couple of shots of the 30,000 gallon pond using the two showers and cetus units I am using.....but I have a building to put mine in. He has smaller unit. Not pushing his stuff but from what I have read and talkked to 10 different users it is the nuts.
    NICE! ricshaw likes!

Where did you get your shower boxes?

Fry
    Rickshaw.....I purchased one large shower unit from Steve Joneli , owner of High Desert Koi Ponds in Oregon.....541 408-3317. He builds and consults on ponds all over the United States. I have spoken to him on the phone and one can email him at [email protected] ....he also has a web site http://www.highdesertkoi . If you go to pond filtration, on koiphen, you will determine he and a gent named kent wallace are the most knowledgeable pond builders in that forum who give good sound advice freely to those in need. I was considering all forms of filtration I discussed in my last post, including the eric system. But for the money, and all those satisfied individuals i either contacted or spoke to personally, the choice was a no brainer. This pond build begins in earnest mid august. Steve sent me out his sand and gravel kits for water clarity and elimination of fines....you can find his post and thread for same on the filtration part of koiphen as well.

Meg
    Retired, you are building my dream pond!!
    and Steve is awsome people isn't he!

Fry
    Meg....Am only attempting to do right by the Koi. After talking to Steve about his shower system, and the results he has had on a number of installations I was sold. Am still running up to Flint Michigan to see the eric units work in a 50,000 gallon system. But I am going to build mine with steve's stuff.

Steve is an old hand at this and a longtime friend here as well. There are a few threads of his here and last year he shared his new indoor build with us. The performance of the showers with feather rock (cheaper than ceramic media by miles and miles) is truly outstanding. I've never heard even a hint of a complaint from anyone doing business with him so I'm sure you'll be more than pleased

Jumbo
    Thanks for the nice comments folks. I can't began to say enough for the Cetus Sieves, or the shower.
    I ran a shower and four 100 gallon moving beds for 4 years. In 4 years time, the K-1 media was still as white as when new. Which proved to me all the bacteria was colonizing the shower, not the moving bed. So last winter I removed the moving beds, remover the 500 gallon vortex, and now am running two Cetus Sieves off my two BDs, feeding one shower.
    I cant say enough for this system. In my opinion this is the way to go. The Cetus sieves trap so much waste, and the nice thing is the waste is pushed to the bottom of the sieve, out of the water column, so it's no longer polluting the water, as in a Vortex. I like running un filtered BD water to the showers, as they will saturate the water with oxygen, My dissolved oxygen levels always run at saturation. As as a added benefit, it's very easy to add a foam extractor in the shower exit pipe.
    The showers with feather rock will also cycle very quick. Using 3 ppm bottled ammonia I was able to cycle mine in 6 days.

Sand/Gravel filters, what can I say. Probably the oldest form of media going, and probably the best for clarity. Iuse an air blower manifold in mine so I am able to blow them out for flushing. Therefore the sand never channels or cakes like a swimming pool sand filter.

I have a thread here some where showing my up grades but here's some quick shots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Filter System Critique and Possible Upgrades-73.jpg   Filter System Critique and Possible Upgrades-49.jpg   Filter System Critique and Possible Upgrades-50.jpg   Filter System Critique and Possible Upgrades-57.jpg   Filter System Critique and Possible Upgrades-69.jpg  

Filter System Critique and Possible Upgrades-67.jpg   Filter System Critique and Possible Upgrades-47.jpg  

Jumbo
    The above mentioned pond is one I just finished in Colorado. 20,000 gallons, linear flow design, 12' wide by 32' long. It starts out at 4 feet deep, then slopes down to 8 feet deep. Four 4" BDs at the deep end feeding four Cetus sieves, feeding two Evolution 10500 pumps, feeding two sets of my fiberglass showers with feather rock. There are four 4" exit pipes from the showers, each with a foam extractor. These 4" pipes enter the shallow end of the pond 1 foot off the bottom. We are flowing 20,000 gph through these two showers.
    This 20,000 gph will give strong currents to sweep the bottom and provide exercise currents for the fish.

There are four skimmers, each with 4" outlets, feeding two additional Cetus Sieves. These two sieves feed two Evolution ESS 6400 pumps, which feed two GC Tec Bead Filters, then two Zapp Pure 20 UVs, then back to the pond as what will be a waterfall. The two skimmer circuits are flowing 10 to 12,000 gph.

Jumbo
    If your considering an up grade to your pond please consider the Cetus Sieves, feeding a shower. I can't think of a better way to filter water.

Sansai

highdesertkoi

The link to the Highdesertkoi didnt work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Levi View Post
    The link to the Highdesertkoi didnt work.
    Betcha this one does
    koi-pond

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast