Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solar distillery

He likes it when his tinker thinker gets engaged. He reminds me of my grandpa, but he is alot like his dad.

Quote Originally Posted by DrCreosote View Post
    I did not expect such a response. As the water is simply waste water, we have two plans for it. One is to send it down the drain and the other is to water the lawn/garden. My thoughts were primarily directed at removing ugly stuff and I didn't think about minerals and things like that. Building this thing would add a new dimension to our pond hobby as well, so my tinker thinker will be fully engaged. In fact, I already have a picture of it in my head. . . now I just have to get it out of there.

SS
    Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    He likes it when his tinker thinker gets engaged. He reminds me of my grandpa, but he is alot like his dad.
    Tinker Thinkers are fun toys to take out and play with aren't they

For the sake of $#!t$ and giggles, the concept is a good one to have on a fully developed "standby". It may be of greater use during winter months when the waste water can't be used for yard/garden very effectively (for parts of the country), but where you are the "nothing growing" season is almost non-existent
    It's a great concept for those who have little to no yard/garden use for the waste water and face potential water use restrictions. For those who have yards and gardens needing irrigation anyway it is a complete waste of time and money.
    Waste water from a Koi pond and/or settlement dump is great fertilizer and why waste "fresh water" from the tap on the yard (nutrient poor) when you could just do a water change and use the "nutrient rich" pond water on the yard instead? Same water usage on the yard and the pond gets fresh water at zero net increase in your water bill?
    It is a very simple thing to add a hose bib to your pump discharge and settlement drains to put it where you need it
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by DrCreosote View Post
    I did not expect such a response. As the water is simply waste water, we have two plans for it. One is to send it down the drain and the other is to water the lawn/garden. My thoughts were primarily directed at removing ugly stuff and I didn't think about minerals and things like that. Building this thing would add a new dimension to our pond hobby as well, so my tinker thinker will be fully engaged. In fact, I already have a picture of it in my head. . . now I just have to get it out of there.
    SS
    Many people do not know this, but the city I live in (and other municipalities) do not want Koi pond waste water sent down the drain.
    They want it dumped into street gutter (storm drains) so as not to put additional burden on their waste water treatment plant.

Now this presents a problem for me the Koi pond owner that has a 3" waste pipe and 2" waste pipe draining to my residential street gutter.
    When I do a big (500 - 1000 gallon) water change, the water gushing down the street gutter is an attractive nuisance. The neighbor kids want to play in it. Concern neighbors will get in their car and follow the path of water to see where it is coming from, etc.

If I can, I do it right at dusk.

-Richard
    Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Many people do not know this, but the city I live in (and other municipalities) do not want Koi pond waste water sent down the drain.
    They want it dumped into street gutter (storm drains) so as not to put additional burden on their waste water treatment plant.

Now this presents a problem for me the Koi pond owner that has a 3" waste pipe and 2" waste pipe draining to my residential street gutter.
    When I do a big (500 - 1000 gallon) water change, the water gushing down the street gutter is an attractive nuisance. The neighbor kids want to play in it. Concern neighbors will get in their car and follow the path of water to see where it is coming from, etc.

If I can, I do it right at dusk.

-Richard
    Southern California
    That is true in many areas, and unfortunately shortsighted on the part of the municipalities. The waste water from settlement dumps and water changes is rich in both autotrophic and heterotrophic species that will actually do a great deal of pre-digestion of organics and inorganic wastes in the sewage lines before ever reaching the treatment plant.
    Their loss and the "raw sewage" from the ponds goes straight to the storm drains where it is more likely to go relatively untreated to a waterway, adding nitrogenous wastes and phosphates to the ecosystem I can almost see the "blue/green" algae bloom from here

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    That is true in many areas, and unfortunately shortsighted on the part of the municipalities. The waste water from settlement dumps and water changes is rich in both autotrophic and heterotrophic species that will actually do a great deal of pre-digestion of organics and inorganic wastes in the sewage lines before ever reaching the treatment plant.
    Their loss and the "raw sewage" from the ponds goes straight to the storm drains where it is more likely to go relatively untreated to a waterway, adding nitrogenous wastes and phosphates to the ecosystem I can almost see the "blue/green" algae bloom from here
    That may be true and the municipality sewage treatment experts may disagree.

I have toured our local sewage treatment plant and when the tour leader held up a beaker of what looked like 'grey water' and explained "this is what enters the treatment plant, are there any questions?" I was the person that asked; "Where are the turds?"

It was explained that the biological breakdown of the raw sewage solids starts in the sewage lines well before the sewage reach the treatment plant.

Yuppers. Especially true in larger districts. It can take days for what came from your drains to reach the treatment plant depending on where you live. Many have gone to anoxic systems for waste water treatment in circumstances like that. A guy I used to work for would gag and vomit sometimes driving by one north of OKC On a hot day with a slow SW breeze it was VILE!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12