Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar distillery

Solar distillery

Living as I do in the Central Valley of California, I can expect some 200 consecutive days of opressive sun and heat. I have long considered several solar powered projects, so it is never far from my thinking. My current thoughts are hovering around the idea of creating a simple solar still to process pond water. If it is effective enough, I imagine I can recycle my water in this way rather than lining the city's pockets with more of my money spent on more water. Of course, with only a small effort I can make a solar distillery that can process dozens to hundreds of gallons of water per day. So I say all that to ask a question.

Has anyone here experimented with something of this nature before? Because this will be a simple still, I need to know if this will be sufficient to remove the hormones and pheromones in the water? Another advantage is that I would not have to concern myself with unpleasant things like chlorine in the water.

SS

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCreosote View Post
    Living as I do in the Central Valley of California, I can expect some 200 consecutive days of opressive sun and heat. I have long considered several solar powered projects, so it is never far from my thinking. My current thoughts are hovering around the idea of creating a simple solar still to process pond water. If it is effective enough, I imagine I can recycle my water in this way rather than lining the city's pockets with more of my money spent on more water. Of course, with only a small effort I can make a solar distillery that can process dozens to hundreds of gallons of water per day. So I say all that to ask a question.

Has anyone here experimented with something of this nature before? Because this will be a simple still, I need to know if this will be sufficient to remove the hormones and pheromones in the water? Another advantage is that I would not have to concern myself with unpleasant things like chlorine in the water.

SS
    Keep in mind that distilling the water, while it can remove the bad, will also remove the good.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Jumbo
    That you wish to keep your money home rather than flying off to City Hall is understood. That you are ready to throw fresh energy into your approach to ponding is understood.

What is understood about your source water?

Once you crack water and purify it you are then forced to mix it with your source water to restore minerals for usefulness in the pond. The unanswered question, but i mighta missed the answer, is what is your water like to start with? Temp. PH. GH. KH. There are no problems yet? right?

Here? Well, 62F, 8.0, 80 parts, 80 parts. And about $80-90 monthly to let 'er rip.
    Mickey the windowman, the world is a very big place.

Aquitori says Keokoi says "even sun shines on dogs ass..." so I say... Buy Ugly Early.

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Keep in mind that distilling the water, while it can remove the bad, will also remove the good.
    Yuppers. The best thing about distilled water is that it is "pure", which is also the worst thing about it. You'll have to re-mineralize it somehow before it will be of any value in the pond because it has no buffering capacity or other beneficial mineral content. Of course if the environmental nutjobs in Sacramento continue to act like idiots (ok, so it isn't an "act") you might find yourself under water usage restrictions which could make it a viable option so long as you stay on top of re-constituting it properly.

Tategoi
    Go for it. In the west we will be facing impacts on our water that will make us wish for some way to deal with them.

Of course you will have to recreate 'pond water' but now you will be able to rebuild what you want. There's a fellow in Phoenix that has been purifying water and rebuilding it to match Nigata water, He does extensive research for the koi hobby as his contribution to the hobby. I can't come close to remembering his name but the folks on the NI board will know it(They don't think like old people.)

Whenever you ask folks what they think of a new subject, there will be plenty of people who won't think it's a good idea. Don't let that impact your decision or you won't be effective at stepping outside the box were supposed to stay in.

The water we release is a pollutant.
    Fresh water is becoming scarce.
    Out here, water will eventually be controlled or become expensive.
    Have you tested the tap water filling your pond for heavy metals? Expecially copper, lead? Niosh is looking at lead, in our residential water. If it's found to be a problem, we all may be looking at 8.8pH.

We have city water, and pH comes from the tap at 8.0

Quote Originally Posted by Rich L View Post
    There's a fellow in Phoenix that has been purifying water and rebuilding it to match Nigata water, He does extensive research for the koi hobby as his contribution to the hobby. I can't come close to remembering his name but the folks on the NI board will know it. (They don't think like old people.)
    That would be Thom Blischok.

Tategoi
    Right, dfo you have his address so the fellow interested in rebuilding water can check with him. He's done just about all the work that would help us understand rebuilding pond water.

I would like that info too. I don't know what he's doing now but he was very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KoiCop View Post
    That would be Thom Blischok.
    That's what I was thinkin'.
    He "might" know a thing or two about it......or better still, be qualified to write a book

I did not expect such a response. As the water is simply waste water, we have two plans for it. One is to send it down the drain and the other is to water the lawn/garden. My thoughts were primarily directed at removing ugly stuff and I didn't think about minerals and things like that. Building this thing would add a new dimension to our pond hobby as well, so my tinker thinker will be fully engaged. In fact, I already have a picture of it in my head. . . now I just have to get it out of there.

SS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast