Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Koi Pond Contractors

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    A 1hp pump for a pond this size is not only overkill for initial investment, the operating cost from month to month will be cost prohibitive. The model quoted also under-delivers on volume when compared to others I've seen, including my own 3/4 hp that throws 140gpm at the same head as this one at only 113gpm. If you go with a more efficient pump you'll likely only need 1/2 hp (at most) to deliver the kind of turnover you need.
    Also, while bead filters are great for polishing water they aren't all that great for biofiltration. You are tying up a lot of extra money in things that are functionally peripheral while shortchanging yourself on the essentials.
    Kind of sends up a red flag that the pond builder might not be an expert in Koi pond building.

Somebody needs to calculate how much it is going to cost in electricity to run the 1/2 HP and 1 HP pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Kind of sends up a red flag that the pond builder might not be an expert in Koi pond building.

Somebody needs to calculate how much it is going to cost in electricity to run the 1/2 HP and 1 HP pumps.
    That's what I was thinking too. With all of the low head, low horsepower, high efficiency options for a pond of this size I just can't justify the cost of these choices on day one and then the monthly utility bills to operate. The 1hp pump alone could easily cost $100/month to run depending on local utility rates.

Tosai
    How much? WOW

Mr knunhackable walk away from those 'pond builders' and listen to some of the good advice being given to you here.

Sansai
    A properly built, turn key, koi pond from a contractor should run between $8.00 and $12.00 per gallon. The smaller a pond is the higher the per gallon rate. The larger the pond is the smaller the per gallon rate. The price isn't my issue here but the choice of system components is.
    Why would a new construction project need weighted air hose? Probably because this is speced as new with a retro surface drain and direction suction through the Turbovortex and then to pressurized filtration. What a poor design to start with and what a huge waste of energy.
    You need to get a contractor that knows how to "design" a system properly and not just build what is recommended to them by the their distributors.
    The other option is to have the system designed by someone who knows what they are doing and then use that design to get bids on.

Sansai
    Additionally there are four types of viable pre-filtration and at least six types of bio-filtration to choose from. Your design should pull from those types what will work best for your fish, your geographic location, and your lifestyle. The components should not be chosen on the basis of what someone happens to want to sell that day or what is the easiest for them to install. After all you have to live with it after it's finnished and Mother Nature is very creative.

Sansai
    Raising koi, if nothing else, will give you many lessons in patience and humility. The fact that you came on this site and asked questions means that you are a person who wants to be involved which is a very good start.

I have built one pond (only one), and it is exactly what I wanted. How you ask? I joined a local AKCA club and drove over an hour each way to monthly meetings at member's ponds, I went on every pond tour I could find, I volunteered and worked at koi auctions, and lurked at koi discussion boards like this one. I started out wanting a water garden and discovered that I really wanted a serious, energy efficient koi pond. Then, a year after I decided I wanted a pond, I started to dig. So I started a year later than I expected, but most people I talked to have built 2 or 3 ponds and spent 5 or 6 years before they get to the stage where I am.

Ponds are as individual as the koi you stock them with. What works for one may not work for another. A pond builder may give you "his" idea of a pond. Take your time and define your goals well.

Kent,
    I'm glad you popped in because you just addressed my next set of concerns incredibly well. Pond designs need to be compatible with local climate considerations for maximum benefit and that means "intelligent design" for the specific location. The more I think about this location the more I find myself leaning toward an airlift system or similarly low head pump running on a pond level filter bay for the bottom drains. This would promote the most stable temperature range within the pond during all seasons with exceptionally low operating costs.
    To incorporate a skimmer circuit with a high efficiency pump feeding a water fall if such is desired would be fine for summer operation and easily drained and isolated during the winter months.
    Too bad you don't live closer to him
    Steve,
    Good advice.
    Do it once, do it right, never look back with regret thinking about what "could have been".
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by kent wallace View Post
    A properly built, turn key, koi pond from a contractor should run between $8.00 and $12.00 per gallon. The smaller a pond is the higher the per gallon rate. The larger the pond is the smaller the per gallon rate. The price isn't my issue here but the choice of system components is.
    Why would a new construction project need weighted air hose? Probably because this is speced as new with a retro surface drain and direction suction through the Turbovortex and then to pressurized filtration. What a poor design to start with and what a huge waste of energy.
    You need to get a contractor that knows how to "design" a system properly and not just build what is recommended to them by the their distributors.
    The other option is to have the system designed by someone who knows what they are doing and then use that design to get bids on.
    This is the best advice you've gotten.

Sansai
    Hey Larry, I actually did design a pond and supply all the equipupment for an all air-lift pond in Massachuetts about two years ago. It was a formal pond with no waterfall. All gravity flow air-lift, pre-filtration to aerated bio and back through a vertical pond return. The pond was built with foam block and polyurea for insulation. Part of the system can be shut down easily during the winter and the water stays highly oxygenated.
    I sent all the drawings and equipment as a kit. The contractor had never built a proper koi pond before but with long distance guidance and a contractor that had integrity the job went fine. They flew me out there one year later to go over the system and tweak it. It can be done.
    It was very interesting to do although a little nerve racking.

Hey Norm, Thanks
    Norm is a good example of a contractor who decided to learn to build proper koi ponds and after very short time has become exceptional at it.

I didn't realize you'd done one in Mass., but you were one of the first people I thought of when the inefficient equipment list kept popping up from one contractor and then another. Too many wasted $$$ for too little performance. Maybe you need to start selling "pond kits". Why the heck should the wrong pond designs be the only thing you can buy "in a box"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast