Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Koi Pond Contractors

Quote Originally Posted by MCA View Post
    Personally I would emulate those ponds that grow out GCs....like Henry C's pond system. You will not be doing that in a shallow still pond.
    Henry C's pond is NOT typical and NOT everybody in this hobby are as focused on showing Koi as you.

It takes "deep pockets" to build a pond like Henry's and purchase "grow out Grand Champion" Koi.

I am not suggesting that newbies be told that a 2 foot deep 500 gallon pond is okay for Koi, just think there are more reasonable recommendations like what would come from visiting other successful Koi ponds in his area.

Even if I didn't show koi, (which I don't, but hope to someday) I'd want them to be protected from predators and I don't feel confidant that a 3' deep pond would be safe enough.
    A large raccoon can be over 3', but mostly I'd be wary of herons. They stand 4-5' feet tall, so I'd think they could easily hunt in a 3' depth.

4' would be the minimum I'd go(with straight sides), just to thwart predators. Even if lots of folk have 3' or less pond and have (so far) been fine, that doesn't make that depth the ideal or safe depth.
    Barb

Santa Clara Valley Koi & Water Garden Club

http://www.sckoi.com

Zen Nippon Airinkai Nor-Cal Chapter

http://www.znanorcal.org

Quote Originally Posted by KoiCCAPW View Post
    Even if I didn't show koi, (which I don't, but hope to someday) I'd want them to be protected from predators and I don't feel confidant that a 3' deep pond would be safe enough.
    A large raccoon can be over 3', but mostly I'd be wary of herons. They stand 4-5' feet tall, so I'd think they could easily hunt in a 3' depth.

4' would be the minimum I'd go(with straight sides), just to thwart predators. Even if lots of folk have 3' or less pond and have (so far) been fine, that doesn't make that depth the ideal or safe depth.
    I have two ponds, one is 2.5 - 3 feet deep and the other is 2 - 4.5 feet deep.
    Both have straight sides and no shelves or steps.
    We have visits from raccoons and heron.
    In over 30 years, I have never lost a Koi to a predator, but my neighbor, who has an Aquascape pond, has lost over a dozen Koi just this year to herons.

Tategoi
    For starter's, I would never use the word aquascapes when discussing koi ponds.

Most of us on these boards are looking for a healthy pond environment without ruining us finantualy and without spending a lot of time in maintenance, That's why the 'standard features' we use came about.

One of the main reasons for a deep pond is to reduce the stressful impacts of temperature swings. Swings of several degrees a day are stressful to koi and that, in turn, lowers their immunity. A deep pond will also give an improvement in exercising koi. The water pressure at lower levels is greater and takes more energy to move in.

2' with straight sides is fine for protection from raccoons. I've never heard of herons working in 3' of water but that doesn't mean they don't. Heron usually work the sides and pick off the younger koi but often stab those too large. We have a few effective methods for protection, but some of them aren't 100% other than a big dog that loves heron..

MCA
    The first koi pond I built was semiraised 4' deep with 2" up and 2" down. That pond got WAY too hot in Dallas summers!!!! So when we moved to Atlanta the new pond was 8' deep, 2' up and 6' down. Having a 8' deep pond...I would never intentionally have a shallower pond again. Give your koi all the room and water volume your circumstances allow.

The more you grow in the koi hobby, the more you learn about low stocking density in deep ponds with serious current. Again, koi are riverine carp. The cheapest pond system is the one you do not have to rebuild numerious times. I am glad I got to 8' on my second pond...much cheaper than if it had been the 3rd or 4th pond.
    Koi keeping is not a belief system; it is applied science with a touch of artistry.

Nisai

Pond depth & cost

There is not a huge difference in cost between a 4' deep and 8' deep pond. While it is a little more expensive, it's not "double" the cost to double the depth. Even if you can't get down to 8', 6' is still better, but not terribly more expensive then 4'.

On the fun side of things: You can go swimming with your fish better at 8' than 4' feet!

JR

Quote Originally Posted by John Russell View Post
    There is not a huge difference in cost between a 4' deep and 8' deep pond. While it is a little more expensive, it's not "double" the cost to double the depth. Even if you can't get down to 8', 6' is still better, but not terribly more expensive then 4'.
    Very true!
    If the pond surface area is the same the difference between 4' deep and 8' deep is not double the cost, not double the filtration, but takes up the same space, and you get double the volume.

MCA
    But you create an infinite surface area....but using airdomes that constantly bring new water to the surface where gas exchange happens....and create a sweeping action along the floor.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345