Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Koi Pond Contractors

Tosai

Koi Pond Contractors

Hey guys,

I am planning to have a koi pond to be built, but I don't know which contractors are reliable and honest in Boston, Massachusetts area. Does anybody know any contractors to refer me to have a consult in my area? I am planning to have a koi pond size 11' x 16' x 3' to be built on the right side of my house which is next to the deck. I don't know if I need one or two bottom drains with 2" or 4" pipes, external pressurized filter, or just use skimmer with pump and waterfall. Do I need side jets? LED lightings.

I need your advice and assistance. Thank you for helping me.

Ken

Your Koi will love you more if you have both the 2 bottom drains and skimmers. One pump/filtration circuit for each, and another 2' of depth. 3' is very shallow for a pond in the Boston area unless you plan to heat it.
    Contractor-wise you'll have to wait for someone closer to your home to chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by knunhackable View Post
    Hey guys,
    I am planning to have a koi pond to be built, but I don't know which contractors are reliable and honest in Boston, Massachusetts area. Does anybody know any contractors to refer me to have a consult in my area? I am planning to have a koi pond size 11' x 16' x 3' to be built on the right side of my house which is next to the deck. I don't know if I need one or two bottom drains with 2" or 4" pipes, external pressurized filter, or just use skimmer with pump and waterfall. Do I need side jets? LED lightings.
    I need your advice and assistance. Thank you for helping me.
    Ken
    There may not be good Koi pond contractors in your area. It is not uncommon for there to be a shortage of contractors that "really" understand the needs of a Koi pond. It is my opinion that your best bet is to contact a Koi club in your area for possible references. It is possible that YOU may have to be responsible for the design and hire a general contractor for the work.

With a good design, one bottom drain and one skimmer is enough (in my opinion). I would recommend not using a 2" pipe for the drain. Maybe have the pond bottom slope from 3' deep to 6' deep at the bottom drain. You do not have to have side jets or LED lighting.

Meg
    you will regret not putting in Jets (TPRs) currents at the bottom of the pond keep the the pond bottom swept clean. I know I wish my pond had them.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    you will regret not putting in Jets (TPRs) currents at the bottom of the pond keep the the pond bottom swept clean. I know I wish my pond had them.
    I have a jet, but it really does not sweep the pond bottom clean.

What "sweeps" the bottom of the pond clean is the swimming movement of the fish and the pond sloping bottom.

Tosai

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    There may not be good Koi pond contractors in your area. It is not uncommon for there to be a shortage of contractors that "really" understand the needs of a Koi pond. It is my opinion that your best bet is to contact a Koi club in your area for possible references. It is possible that YOU may have to be responsible for the design and hire a general contractor for the work.

With a good design, one bottom drain and one skimmer is enough (in my opinion). I would recommend not using a 2" pipe for the drain. Maybe have the pond bottom slope from 3' deep to 6' deep at the bottom drain. You do not have to have side jets or LED lighting.

Ricshaw,

I totally agreed with you on contractors in my area because I have done and read about koi pond contruction and I have contacted a few contractors who don't want to do bottom drains, side jets or pressurized filter or even LED lights or they are lack of experience in koi pond builder. Most of them are willing to do is building koi pond with different size of rocks, water fall as biological filter, skimmer with submergeable pump inside skimmer, lastly autofill, and they don't include electrical work as well.

They also stated that they can build koi pond for either 2' to 3' depth of the koi pond which can be winterized with shelves or without. They said that most koi pond contractors in LA west coast are over engineered in there koi pond building because they include bottom drains, size jets, pressurized filter, and others.

Any suggestion guys for koi pond contractors or references.

Thanks,

Ken

see my next post
    Last edited by ricshaw; 05-25-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: made a mistake which I fix with another post

Any suggestion guys for koi pond contractors or references.

Thanks,

Ken
    Sorry, I have no recommendations for the Boston, Massachusetts area.

Tosai

Exclamation Koi Pond Contractor

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Sorry, I have no recommendations for the Boston, Massachusetts area.

Hey Ricshaw,

I just got a contractor who gave me a quote for my koi pond construction which seemed to be very high to me. Please give me some advice on this price whether is reasonable or over price for this koi pond as follow materials and labor.

Description of work: LABOR: Dig a 20’ long x 10’ wide x 3’ deep pond with waterfall- Total Gallons+ 4500. (It can be made shorter and deeper but must equal 4500 plus gallons.)
    The walls will be built with cinder blocks. The floor will be tapered prior to the liner being installed. The Underliner and 45 mil fish safe line is used. One, bottom drain with an aerator on top, one skimmer, 10K Sacramento Koi bead & glass filters with 2 HP blower, one `ultra violet sterilizer, waterfall, stone all around the perimeter

Pond Materials & Equipment:
    45 mil liner, Underliner, tape, glue, caulk, stone dust and cinder blocks, bottom drain with air diffuser, weighted hose line, skimmer, one 10K Sacramento Koi Advantage Bead & Glass Filter with 2 HP blower, one Fluid Art Turbo Vortex Separator, one Performance Pro ½ HP pump, one 100 watt Aqua Stainless Steel single bulb Ultra Violet Light Sterilizer, misc. plumbing and materials

TOTAL FOR COMPLETE WORK
    $37,709.90
    TOTAL EQUIPMENT INCLUDING FREIGHT-will be dropped shipped to your home
    $16,709.90

Not included: Stones, excavator and electrical HOME OWNER TO FINISH LANDSCAPE

What do you and any body think of this price with this kind of materials & supplies & price. Please advice me whether I should go with him or others because there is none of the contractors who would do this kind of complicated koi pond construction.

Thank you for your input, advice and assistance.

Ken ( from Boston, Mass.)

Hey Ricshaw,

I just got a contractor who gave me a quote for my koi pond construction which seemed to be very high to me. Please give me some advice on this price whether is reasonable or over price for this koi pond as follow materials and labor.

Description of work: LABOR: Dig a 20’ long x 10’ wide x 3’ deep pond with waterfall- Total Gallons+ 4500. (It can be made shorter and deeper but must equal 4500 plus gallons.)
    The walls will be built with cinder blocks. The floor will be tapered prior to the liner being installed. The Underliner and 45 mil fish safe line is used. One, bottom drain with an aerator on top, one skimmer, 10K Sacramento Koi bead & glass filters with 2 HP blower, one `ultra violet sterilizer, waterfall, stone all around the perimeter

Pond Materials & Equipment:
    45 mil liner, Underliner, tape, glue, caulk, stone dust and cinder blocks, bottom drain with air diffuser, weighted hose line, skimmer, one 10K Sacramento Koi Advantage Bead & Glass Filter with 2 HP blower, one Fluid Art Turbo Vortex Separator, one Performance Pro ½ HP pump, one 100 watt Aqua Stainless Steel single bulb Ultra Violet Light Sterilizer, misc. plumbing and materials

TOTAL FOR COMPLETE WORK
    $37,709.90
    TOTAL EQUIPMENT INCLUDING FREIGHT-will be dropped shipped to your home
    $16,709.90

Not included: Stones, excavator and electrical HOME OWNER TO FINISH LANDSCAPE

What do you and any body think of this price with this kind of materials & supplies & price. Please advice me whether I should go with him or others because there is none of the contractors who would do this kind of complicated koi pond construction.

Thank you for your input, advice and assistance.

Ken ( from Boston, Mass.)

Seems kind of expensive and more than I could afford.

How much would it cost for YOU to hire somebody to dig the hole and haul the dirt away + hire somebody to do the cinder block and concrete work + you buy the liner, filter and pump?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast