Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My new pond

Suspending the chair would be better but if it has to have legs, make them as narrow as possible. The design looked like the entire chair was going to be in the water.

You can get by with 2 BD if you place one in the long section but closer to the wide end and one in the boxed section centered. The sides are going to have to slope towards the drain from all sides, not making the long section go from 3' to 6' in depth. Look at the shape of your toilet. The BD does the same thing.

If you put TPR's, they will move the water towards the drain in the long section.

You are going to use aerated BD, right? They will also help to move the debris towards the drain.

Everyone has their own way of building and designing their systems. You have to do what you think is best within your budget. If you are a DIY'er, you can save thousands of $$ and it will work just as well as store bought filtration.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

This is not perfect but something like this. I'm not good at drawing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new pond-rs-pond-design.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
    1. Way over filtering the pond, others have the same gallonage with 1 drain (I think)
    2. Completely blowing my filtration budget out the window
    3. I'll have to completely redesign the backyard because I do not have that kind of room for that much filtration

I am starting to wonder if my plan is even feasible
    I would be more concerned with "under filtering" of this pond.

Space for proper biological filtration should be a part of the pond design.

If budget is a concern, dual pumps and expensive "out-of-the box" filters is an area to reconsider.

Tosai
    Do you think the system could be set up like a stream like this?

The filters would be capable of 11,000 gallons in a 4000ish gallon pond. Althought there would only be one bottom drain. Set up like a stream
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new pond-diagram-b.jpg  

Using tprs/gprs to give you the stream flow could work nicely for you with a single BD so long as things are sloped properly. By having the waterfall near the skimmer circuit only running part time the skimmer would still work well during normal operation and by kicking the water fall on a feeding time you would even deflect the floating food away from the skimmer while they ate.

Tosai
    If there is a consensus that it will work then that would be a relief....What kind of slope would I be looking at creating and I would need perfect TPR and GPR...which is pretty much over my head...lol

That idea may work if you have a high flow coming from the narrow end pointing towards the BD like you have it shown. I would have 2 TPR's angled towards the bottom pushing the trash towards the BD. Make the TPR's adjustable because you'll need to tweak them. You may need to have a TPR on each side of the long end also pointing toward the BD. It's all going to depend on the current's ability to move the debris that far.

Tategoi
    Quote Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
    If there is a consensus that it will work then that would be a relief....What kind of slope would I be looking at creating and I would need perfect TPR and GPR...which is pretty much over my head...lol
    I'm laughing as well! Consensus? On a Koi forum?

You are getting a lot of good advice from knowledgable folks. I will add, however, that there seems to be a trend in advising new pond builders to veer towards the very best conceivable filtration strategy. You may find that you will have to make some compromises.

You are describing a fairly sophisticated design which relys heavily on being very well-integrated into your deck. This is not a simple hole-in-the-ground where you can simply re-dig if you get it wrong. I would therefore like to make a couple of suggestions:

1. You have not discussed much about construction methods. Based on this design, I assume that you are doing poured concrete or stacked and filled blocks? You want a concrete contractor who really knows his stuff. Use lots of rebar, get the highest PSI mix (and make sure it is fresh!), add reinforcement fibers, etc.

2. PVC/ABS pipe is cheap. Some folks may say you can get by with a single Bottom Drain (BD) if you slope the bottom of the pond; others may feel that you need as many as four BDs. Then there are TPRs, which some folks highly recommend and other folks manage to not even use at all. I really don't know what you'll end up needing, but if you are going to pour/stack a concrete pond, it is hard to change things after the fact. You can also close the valve on an un-used line, however.

My point is simply that -- given the scope of this project -- make sure that the pond itself is well-made, and that adequate (even extra) plumbing lines are incorporated. Everything else can be modified after the fact.

Tosai
    Thanks for the advice.

I am lucky enough to have a structural engineer pour the concrete for me. He is going to oversee the forms and everything. We are not going to use blocks. I am fimiliar with the concrete construction, just not for ponds, but I am not concerned about that concrete part of the build, it is the plumbing that worries me.

Adding more bottom drians later would be impossible and putting 4 in that would be use would be costly (plus it seems like a lot for a 4000 pond). Obviously if this stream type design could work that would be my design of choice. But I have no idea so I am turning to the forums. Honestly I thought I would be pouring foundation by now. But I have but digging plans on hold till I figure out slopes etc...

I am still getting the idea that the pond "design", "slope", "TPRS". and "BD" are the focus and the "filtration" (ie: sieve, bead, nexus) is secondary.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast