Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My new pond

Nexus is the best you can get.

We're not trying to hassle you, just trying to get information to give you the right information.

If you're just starting out, you're going about it the right way. It's just not a fast study to do this.

In a well filtered 4000 gallon pond, you could put 8-10 koi. They may not grow to 25-30" but if you do proper maintenance, they should be fine. The usual rule of thumb is minimum 500 gallons per koi. Show females that you want to grow large get 1000-2000 gallons per koi.

If you get small fish, you can get many more and cull the ones you don't want by the end of summer.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

Tosai
    Alright perfect, I want 8-10 high quality koi and to give them a great home. That sounds good to me, I really do not want a jam packed pond. Now I just need to figure out how to do that. I keep going around in circles.

And do not worry, I do not feel hassled, I am really appreciate the help. I just am flustered by this ultra steep learning curve.

"Filtration is a function of fish load, not water volume. Decide NOW how many Koi you realistically intend to have and size your filtration to accommodate that number comfortably. It would be wise to overshoot the filter capacity by 25%."
    My advice would be oversize the filter capacity by 50% - 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
    I have no idea how many fish or what the system could handle. I just want to ease into this hobby and see where it takes me. I am not going to sit here and say I want to show fish after never having raised them. My interest is typical I just want it to become a hobby and build from there, but I want to do it right the first time.

In terms of name dropping expensive equipment, I really did not even know that was super expensive equipment. I figured filtration would cost like 5000 for this smallish pond. Then all the sudden I felt like a cheap ass. I dont mind building the pond myself, but I am not sure I want to tackle building the filtration and someone said nexus was good, so I said okay?
    First off let me say that I have a lot of respect for the way you are going about this. Instead of just jumping in you are asking good questions. I know this flood of info seems a bit overwhelming but WE want you to be a happy part of this hobby too. NONE of us sell "koi stuff" so we don't have a vested interest in anything other than seeing another hobbyist enjoy this all as much as we do.
    While many here do show Koi, many others never have and likely never will. Building a good pond that you can enjoy owning as much as the Koi that live in it without breaking the bank is always a good thing. The Nexus systems are very good and well worth your consideration. Cetus Sieves are likewise excellent at what they do. There are other options available that may be a better fit for your particular situation that you may wish to look into. In any case, the "fish load" is a major consideration for you as the number of mature fish (24"-32" long) is a vital consideration in selecting the specific model of filter (no matter the brand name) and pumps you want to use. It is the Koi that determine the bioload far more than the water volume. If you only want 5 or 6 fish you need pump and filter size X, but if you want 10-12 of them you need the Z size to handle the biological load.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    First off let me say that I have a lot of respect for the way you are going about this. Instead of just jumping in you are asking good questions. In any case, the "fish load" is a major consideration for you as the number of mature fish (24"-32" long) is a vital consideration in selecting the specific model of filter (no matter the brand name) and pumps you want to use. It is the Koi that determine the bioload far more than the water volume. If you only want 5 or 6 fish you need pump and filter size X, but if you want 10-12 of them you need the Z size to handle the biological load.
    to add to all that Larry said, here is some wonderful information on filtration and fish load I wish I had when starting my pond, put together by the Atlanta Koi Club

http://www.atlantakoiclub.org/calend...ilteration.pdf

and joining the local koi club is a great place for you to gleen some information.

Honmei
    Over sizing filtration, in and of itself, is not a total solution. The key is to lower ambient nutrient levels in the pond. To do this, you not only need an adequate biofilm (surface are for it to grow, but also a key factor is the rate at which you feed it (pond turn over rate). So, a Nexus with 150 liters of K1 is good, their is a liitation at the rate of which that biofilm can be fed (roughly 3500 gph) and thus the 1/8 hp pump on the bottom drain circuit. With proper plumbing, the head pressure should be on the nieghborhood of 4' and a typical 1/8 hp pump should be more than enough. Now, to improve on this, you have the skimmer circuit to work with along with the future midlevel pickup I mentioned previously. your initial turnover rate will be in the nieghborhood of around 40 minutes and with the midlevel and another nexus down the road yyou would be down to around 20 minutes. Excellent by any standards. Again, I suggest the It's a System series to more fully understand the process and improving your ability to understand the recommendations being made by myself and others.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Over sizing filtration, in and of itself, is not a total solution. The key is to lower ambient nutrient levels in the pond. To do this, you not only need an adequate biofilm (surface are for it to grow, but also a key factor is the rate at which you feed it (pond turn over rate). So, a Nexus with 150 liters of K1 is good, their is a liitation at the rate of which that biofilm can be fed (roughly 3500 gph) and thus the 1/8 hp pump on the bottom drain circuit. With proper plumbing, the head pressure should be on the nieghborhood of 4' and a typical 1/8 hp pump should be more than enough. Now, to improve on this, you have the skimmer circuit to work with along with the future midlevel pickup I mentioned previously. your initial turnover rate will be in the nieghborhood of around 40 minutes and with the midlevel and another nexus down the road yyou would be down to around 20 minutes. Excellent by any standards. Again, I suggest the It's a System series to more fully understand the process and improving your ability to understand the recommendations being made by myself and others.
    Many Koi ponds, both of mine, have the skimmer connected to the main feed to the filtration system and do not require a separate additional pump.

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    Over sizing filtration, in and of itself, is not a total solution.
    With out-of-the-box filters that is assuming that the manufacture has not over stated the filtration capacity.

Tosai
    Thanks for the advice, trust me I read every link posted to me and every post thoroughly and then research . I enjoyed that pdf from the atlanta koi club. That helped answer a lot of questions that were left blank for me before. So here is where I am at My pond will end up being around gallons 4000 gallons.

Circuit 1 = 2 no niche skimmer (maybe a savio one instead) pumped to bead filter to uv back to TPR's on deep end

Circuit 2 = 4" bottom drain to cetus, pump fed to nexus gravity fed back through uv and to TPR's on the narrow or shallow side

Trying to create a stream design. There are lots of waterfalls I did not include in the drawing because they will very rarely be running. Only when I am entertaining will I turn them on, so I doubt they will affect the flow much at all.

Feedback would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new pond-pond-again.jpg  

Meg
    I don't know about a savio skimmer but I have a pond just a little smaller than what you are planning and I love my nonitch, it is almost invisable and in a smaller pond that is nice.....wish I had two like you are planning, for when the winds take things in the other direction.
    I also wish I had the skimmers on a separate curciut from my bottom drain as you are planning to do.
    you are getting some good advice.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast