Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: My new pond

I used basic Hayward pool skimmers <see attached>.

On one pond the skimmer is mounted in the concrete pond side.

On the other pond the skimmer is mounted to a 1.5 PVC pipe, in the pond under a deck, that ties into a 4 inch PVC pipe to the settling chamber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new pond-skimmer_hayward_1075.gif   My new pond-skimmer_hayward_1094.gif  

Tosai
    I have exactly zero experience with any kind of skimmers. I know the no niche would be easier to incorprate in my design, but in terms of function are both types comporable ?

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
    I have exactly zero experience with any kind of skimmers. I know the no niche would be easier to incorprate in my design, but in terms of function are both types comporable ?
    for our size ponds I think the nonitch is just fine....two even better. it simply skimms the surface of dust, leaves and floaters, the catch basket gets the big stuff and your filters will clean the fines.
    now keep in mind the skimmer is not big, so if there is a heavy leaf fall (pond located under trees) there will be times when the basket needs daily or twice daily clean out....mine under a magnolia tree gets dumped even more often in season.
    but the skimmer looks like a hole in the water....pretty cool

Honmei
    A little about skimmers. Whether it be a no niche or an inwall like the hayward, both will do the job. BUT, that being said their are pros and cons of each. The no niche creates an intrernal obstruction in the pond...or added risk of damage to koi. Both, if set up as originally designed require constant cleaning. The no niche is in the pond verses some easier ease with the inwall styles. The true advancement is with a gravity fed skimmer to a seperation chamber. Cutting the bottom off of the Hayward or Waterway in wall design and affixing a 6" to 4" adapter allows the circuit to be fed to a separation chamber like a vortex without the internal skimmer basket. The ease of maintenance when setting the skimmer up this way is FANTASTIC and we all know that what is easy to be maintained will be maintained.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    A little about skimmers. Whether it be a no niche or an inwall like the hayward, both will do the job. BUT, that being said their are pros and cons of each. The no niche creates an intrernal obstruction in the pond...or added risk of damage to koi. Both, if set up as originally designed require constant cleaning. The no niche is in the pond verses some easier ease with the inwall styles. The true advancement is with a gravity fed skimmer to a seperation chamber. Cutting the bottom off of the Hayward or Waterway in wall design and affixing a 6" to 4" adapter allows the circuit to be fed to a separation chamber like a vortex without the internal skimmer basket. The ease of maintenance when setting the skimmer up this way is FANTASTIC and we all know that what is easy to be maintained will be maintained.
    How do you keep smaller fish from getting caught in the modified skimmer?

I agree, the modified skimmer sounds like a great idea. But we are trading a normal skimmer with basket for a much larger vortex separation chamber and most likely an additional pump. More money and a priority decision for the pond builder to make.

My Hayward is mounted in-pond (like a No Niche) which is tied to a 4" pvc outlet to a large up flow separation chamber. The skimmer basket catches pine needles, etc. and keeps the pond surface clean. If the skimmer basket gets full and I am busy, the pond water can still moving through the 4" pvc pipe. The moving water through the 4" pvc pipe sort of acts like a "venturi jet" and helps "pull" the water from the skimmer above.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    How do you keep smaller fish from getting caught in the modified skimmer?

I agree, the modified skimmer sounds like a great idea. But we are trading a normal skimmer with basket for a much larger vortex separation chamber and most likely an additional pump. More money and a priority decision for the pond builder to make.

My Hayward is mounted in-pond (like a No Niche) which is tied to a 4" pvc outlet to a large up flow separation chamber. The skimmer basket catches pine needles, etc. and keeps the pond surface clean. If the skimmer basket gets full and I am busy, the pond water can still moving through the 4" pvc pipe. The moving water through the 4" pvc pipe sort of acts like a "venturi jet" and helps "pull" the water from the skimmer above.
    I use different sized grates (depending on fish size) over the mouth of the skimmer. I have seen too many koi killed in skimmers, even with baskets. Once in, either the wier or the reversed flow (tail to head) simply wears the koi out.

I never recommend tieing a skimmer into a bottom drain circuit. Redundancy is a requirement for me. Specific circuits with specific design criteria for a specific purpose.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

Quote Originally Posted by schildkoi View Post
    I never recommend tieing a skimmer into a bottom drain circuit. Redundancy is a requirement for me. Specific circuits with specific design criteria for a specific purpose.
    That would mean that you always recommend a two pump system?

I can't imagine a pond design without a bottom drain and a skimmer.

For smaller ponds I only recommend two pumps when somebody occasionally wants a more dramatic waterfall feature.

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    That would mean that you always recommend a two pump system?

I can't imagine a pond design without a bottom drain and a skimmer.

For smaller ponds I only recommend two pumps when somebody occasionally wants a more dramatic waterfall feature.
    Yep, I wouldn't have or design a pond based on a single pump/circuit. In addition to that redundancy, I would also have at least two seperate circuits (GFCI) and a back up power supply. Then again, I have experienced Saturday evening pump failures or pump failures while out of town, GFCIs popping, extended electrical outages etc. Mr. Murphy knows me really well, and I know him even better.
    CKHPA

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456