Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new pond

Tosai

My new pond

Right now it should be called a mud pit, because the only thing finished is excavation. I thought if I spent tons of time reading I could figure this construction stuff out, but I need to humbly ask for help. I have a footprint excavated and artists renderings of what we want to achieve. However that is as far as I have made it. I would aprreciate so much some telling me how to filter this thing with diagrams of plumbing etc...

I am attaching a diagram and renderings. Tell me what you think. I had to try and make it a balance between a water feature for my fiance and a koi pond for me. I love the look, building it is the hard part.

The size of my footprint for filtration has me wanting a cetus sieve and nexus 310. Maybe adding an alpha bead filter if I can squeeze it. I thought of plumbing it like the cetus manual for a dual gravity sytem.

http://www.evolutionaqua.com/acatalo...s%20Manual.pdf (page 8)

Any help would be truly appreciated. I need to figure out all the components and plumbing plan soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new pond-diagram-.jpg   My new pond-1a.jpg   My new pond-5a.jpg   My new pond-9a.jpg   My new pond-10a.jpg  

Your basics appear reasonable but there is some detail missing from your diagram. Where are the bottom drains located? Do you plan to run the skimmer and B.D. circuits separately or both on one pump? (Separate is better). You might also want to give yourself easier access around the backside of the pond for ease of maintenance for the hedges and any other plantings tucked away behind the water falls.

See attached...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new pond-diagram-ax.jpg  

Tosai
    I purposely left the detail out some detail. That is what i was hoping people could help me with. Like 1 or 2 bd. 3" or 4". Where to put a skimmer ? No niche one ? Tgr ? Size pipes ? Am I picking the wrong components or need to add anything ?

I have spent hours and hours reading and realized I just needed to beg for help, because I was just getting confused. The local pond people have been horrible, I almost built the worlds worst pond under their reccomendations. This forum is gonna save me.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    See attached...

I coud put the skimmer there underneath that bench, but only a no niche one Is that the way to go?

You're probably going to need 2 BD on the long section and 1 on the little boxed off section. BD normally cover about 8'. All BD should be 4". Be sure to slope the bottom towards the drains. Each drain and skimmer should have its own circuit.

Since the long section is narrow, you may be able to get away with 1 BD if you have TPR's strategically placed and a good slope to the bottom.

The skimmer should usually be located across from the waterfalls and in the direction the wind would blow across the pond, if you have wind.

You should definitely put TPR's in the boxed section to keep the water and debris moving around that bend.

The bench is confusing. Is it sitting in the pond or across the top? If it's in the pond, it's going to block movement.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

I think (my opinion) you could get away with 1 bottom drain if you slope the right narrow side pond bottom from 3 ft. to 6 ft. deep at bottom drain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new pond-diagram-ab.jpg  

Tosai
    yes the chair was resting in the pond. But I could always raise it. We just really liked the look. As for sloping the pond from 3 ft to 6ft and having one drain I could certainly try that. I would lose a ton of pond volume, but if it allows me to put everything on one circuit, then it would be worth it.

I really want to figure out this drain thing by the weekend, as well as plumping for the skimmer. I have friends volunteering to come over and pour the foundation

If the chair is only going to have 4 narrow legs, it wouldn't be a problem but if the base is wider, it will block water flow and debris going to the skimmer.

Building a pond is timely and expensive, do it right the first time. At least as right as you can get it. 1 BD is not enough.

Tosai
    I could rest the chair suspended over the pond so no legs or anything at all is in the water. And that is why I am on this forum I want to make sure I do this right the first time. However if I have to do 3 bd and 2 skimmers and all sperate circuits with their own filters and pumps then I am

1. Way over filtering the pond, others have the same gallonage with 1 drain (I think)
    2. Completely blowing my filtration budget out the window
    3. I'll have to completely redesign the backyard because I do not have that kind of room for that much filtration

I am starting to wonder if my plan is even feasible

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast