Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where to put the check valve?

Peppy--If I'm reading this correctly you're using a clear swing check valve.

These valves have a rubber flapper hinge that works a lot better when placed in a vertical position in your plumbing scheme.

Thank you, schildkoi, for going over my plan and offering advice. A check valve below water level B is a good idea. I might have to let the water down for some reason. I didn't think of that.

So you mean instead of a check valve, I should put a shutoff valve, or a knife valve, between the pump and the pond in case I have to remove the pump?

I do have the retro BD installed and going up over the pond wall at this point and it sure is pulling up the fish poo, leaves that go to the bottom, even a frog, tadpoles, a salamander have ended up in the priming pot.

I sent for a larger 3" retro BD and I'll put this 2" one in my stock tank.

I stuck a piece of filter mat in the priming pot to help catch some of the stuff before it goes into the filter. I clean it twice daily. I don't know how I'd clean a check valve though. Hmmm. That's something to consider.

Werner, vertical, got it, thanks.
    ...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Honmei
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Thank you, schildkoi, for going over my plan and offering advice. A check valve below water level B is a good idea. I might have to let the water down for some reason. I didn't think of that.

So you mean instead of a check valve, I should put a shutoff valve, or a knife valve, between the pump and the pond in case I have to remove the pump?

I do have the retro BD installed and going up over the pond wall at this point and it sure is pulling up the fish poo, leaves that go to the bottom, even a frog, tadpoles, a salamander have ended up in the priming pot.

I sent for a larger 3" retro BD and I'll put this 2" one in my stock tank.

I stuck a piece of filter mat in the priming pot to help catch some of the stuff before it goes into the filter. I clean it twice daily. I don't know how I'd clean a check valve though. Hmmm. That's something to consider.

Werner, vertical, got it, thanks.
    Get check valves that have unions on both ends. That way you can take them out and clean if necessary.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

YES! So smart...

...and that's why I come here.

Honmei
    YES! So smart...

...and that's why I come here.
    Oh, and only the flapper style. The spring loaded ones offer too much resistance.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]
    CKHPA

While looking for my hole-in-the-liner installer, I'm tired of all this stuff sticking way up in the air--namely that tall prefilter.

Do you have to go straight from the priming pot to the pump? Or can you have some pipe in between and lower?

pic 1: what I have now - straight from Priming Pot to pump

pic 2: what I'd like - to lower pump so I can lower prefilter

Thanks in advance for any advice...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where to put the check valve?-pump1.jpg   Where to put the check valve?-pump2.jpg  

Honmei
    While looking for my hole-in-the-liner installer, I'm tired of all this stuff sticking way up in the air--namely that tall prefilter.

Do you have to go straight from the priming pot to the pump? Or can you have some pipe in between and lower?

pic 1: what I have now - straight from Priming Pot to pump

Thanks in advance for any advice...
    Peppy,
    I may have as=ked this before but do you subscribe to KOI USA? If so, you can log into the article archive. There you will find a series of articles called "It's a System". Many of your question are easily answered there, in detail with how one component can affect other components.

Most of what you are going through right now is band aid fixes. If you want to do it really right, you need a bottom drain, gravity fed to a settling chamber, then gravity to a bio filter and then pump back to pond.
    The views presented are my personal views and not that of any organization that I may belong to unless otherwise specified. [email protected]ol.com
    CKHPA

Yes, bandaids. We had planned to move so my initial intention was to fix up this hole in the ground the best I could and start over at the new house. Then the bottom fell out of the real estate market and here we still are.

I bought a couple koi books from MCA's list and understand the gravity bottom drain, gently removing solids before the pump, etc. but holes in the liner are outside my comfort zone, especially on the bottom. And I'm plumbing challenged to boot.

I don't subscribe to any magazines of any genre. Sounds like something to consider.

Maybe the pump manufacturer can answer about the physics of plumbing the pump below the priming pot.

So far, it looks like the vacuum bottom drain and return eductor to circulate the water are taking care of all the fish poo. The bottom looks really clean.

Don't you think it's possible to remove solids before the pump using a vacuum bottom drain?

I don't want to exhaust your patience and appreciate your taking the time to read my posts and respond. I'm sure us newbies are frustrating as hell.

I do not see any reason why "pic 2" would not work for pump leaf basket placement.

Nisai
    Yes, bandaids. We had planned to move so my initial intention was to fix up this hole in the ground the best I could and start over at the new house. Then the bottom fell out of the real estate market and here we still are.

I bought a couple koi books from MCA's list and understand the gravity bottom drain, gently removing solids before the pump, etc. but holes in the liner are outside my comfort zone, especially on the bottom. And I'm plumbing challenged to boot.

I don't subscribe to any magazines of any genre. Sounds like something to consider.

Maybe the pump manufacturer can answer about the physics of plumbing the pump below the priming pot.

So far, it looks like the vacuum bottom drain and return eductor to circulate the water are taking care of all the fish poo. The bottom looks really clean.

Don't you think it's possible to remove solids before the pump using a vacuum bottom drain?

I don't want to exhaust your patience and appreciate your taking the time to read my posts and respond. I'm sure us newbies are frustrating as hell.
    you can add check valve before priming pot or leaf basket to the pump.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123