Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY Filters

Quote Originally Posted by mitten View Post
    No Bubbette, I looked for an hour and didn't find it. All of the posts of all of the threads but only part of one of the YouTubes. Dr. Burning Bush is a dasher. Here you go Amanda. Skippy filter version 24.3. Shower filter with 2cuft bacteria house and 1 cuft 1" bio barrels. 535 fibe tank. 1200 gph pondmaster. bout a dozen fish. Now let's see the hat!
    Here is a picture of my hat, the dog's name is Chase, he is half Blue Heeler and half Jack Russel Terrorizer. I do not know what I was thinking when I got him, those are 2 breeds you don't want togeather unless you have cattle, and even then I am not sure...

Whoops forgot the picture lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Filters-bighats-hat-dog.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    Does your wife work at a clinic of some sort, feed store, labratory? Those look like the plastic covers that syringes with needles come out of. If they are, what a way to put that to use Ric. BRAVO!
    Yes, my wife is a vet tech at an animal hospital.

I have made 4 DIY 55 gallon barrels. They all work great and use different media. 2 of them have mat and springflow ribbon and flow about 850 GPH each. One has just matting and flows about 1200 GPH. One has 5 liters of K1 and flows about 800 GPH.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Filters-dscn1546.jpg   DIY Filters-dscn1552.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
    I have made 4 DIY 55 gallon barrels. They all work great and use different media. 2 of them have mat and springflow ribbon and flow about 850 GPH each. One has just matting and flows about 1200 GPH. One has 5 liters of K1 and flows about 800 GPH.
    Last October, the Ventura County Koi Society visited a fairly new Southern California Koi pond which takes the DIY barrel filter to a new level!

:-O

See attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Filters-melton_1198.jpg   DIY Filters-melton_1205.jpg  

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
    nice job there!

I added window screen to cover the tops of mine just recently to aid with the air flow in the barrels therefore helping with off gassing and bio conversion.
    you might want to consider replacing the plastic over yours with window screening....every little thing helps

Its not plastic its a very pourous fabric that does allow air passage. I used window screen for a long time but there is a huge fir tree just behind the filters and the needles were getting through the window screen and clogging the outlets inside the filters. I also have 3 air stones in each filter so air is moving through each of them.

Tategoi
    I also work in a clinic and I have used a lot of viles and blood tubes and it works. However, how do you do back flush on a diy. And I have to clean every day to make it right. Or every other day or atleast once a week. I have a 5 milk crate and started in the trickle down idea using viles and tubes as the media. Then I added some sponges to the create to catch the gunk and hold water a little as it flows down. The problem with the sponge is that it gets clogged up every day because it works too well. Then I added a tube on towards the top of the crate to act as an overflow for the water to escape. It worked but all the gunk still build up and cleaning was a pain. So this is still what I have. But I took the plasic media out of the crate, put it in a bag and now floating it in the pond for shady. And I added a lot of sponge to replace the plastic media... as I think the sponge will have a lot more sq/ft space for bio growth. The pond is clear and it works, but cleaning is still a pain. And I collect lots of bloodworms that way. I feed the bloodworms to the frys.

Before we took the pump out of the water my husband would just swap hoses on our DIY to back flush it. Now that the pump is out of the water and rigged up to a leaf catcher, I am not sure how he back flushes... I better ask him.

Tategoi
    Would styrofoam work for boi-media or would there be too much chem in the styrofoam?

I need a backflush system and I already have a 55gal just need to make it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast