Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Filters

DIY Filters

I am curious to know who has a Do It Yourself filter. What style or design is it. What are you using for filter media? If you could rebuild your filter would you? Also what size pond is your filter servicing?

I have a DIY tote filter that services about 850g. You can see the filter being assembled on YouTube by my hubby Sean. In the past we have used a number of various filter media, plastic rolled up forks, bio media from laguna, peat pellets, lava rock, plastic toys, etc. Right now we are trying out pool noodles cut into 2 inch doughnuts.

YouTube - Our Do It Yourself Pond Filter.wmv

Meg
    one of my favorites ideas...
    Mechanical filtration capable of removing fines

I have a small pond with 3 55gl barrels
    1. sc with an easy answer for mechanical filration
    2. k1 with air
    3. static k1

like you I started out thinking I could use 'something creative' for filtration materials, but in time matainance becomes a nightmare...k1 is just so easy ! so now my filters are semi DIY

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Thank you Meg. I'm glad someone is still throwing "Maurice" links around like the gems they are. The world is a very big place...go there.

like you I started out thinking I could use 'something creative' for filtration materials
    And more thanks here. But adding, "Like all y'all,we all started out thinking we all could use 'something creative' for filtration materials." I know, I know, some folks do buy filters and just use them but after my Cyprio BioForce that was enough for me! I don't try to make up media because I love what's available easily and kinda not an arm and a leg. But buying some guy's filter? No way! I adapted many containers to filter usage and have built my own containers which is more fun. I didn't get to the plastic welding phase, didn't aspire to Woodyacht's fiberglass (and stainless) mastery, but will be tackling concrete up down chambers when prosperity returns to my pockets.

Yes Bighat, every filter here in Outer Bubbaville, Florida is DIY.
    Mickey the windowman, the world is a very big place.

Aquitori says Keokoi says "even sun shines on dogs ass..." so I say... Buy Ugly Early.

I so enjoy videos. Thanks guys.

mitten, thank goodness for manufactured filters as some of us (uh, me, for one) are no good at DIY!

one of my favorites ideas...
    Mechanical filtration capable of removing fines

I have a small pond with 3 55gl barrels
    1. sc with an easy answer for mechanical filration
    2. k1 with air
    3. static k1

like you I started out thinking I could use 'something creative' for filtration materials, but in time matainance becomes a nightmare...k1 is just so easy ! so now my filters are semi DIY
    Thank you for sharing that article Meg. That looks like a sweet little filter.

When we rebuilt our current bio filter this spring I wanted to use plastic dish scrubbers, and scotch pads. However, our Dollar Tree didn't have those items at all in bulk. On the way out the door they had boxes and boxes of pool noodles. I looked at Sean about the same time he looked at me and we had a "lightbulb" moment togeather.

Quote Originally Posted by mitten View Post
    Thank you Meg. I'm glad someone is still throwing "Maurice" links around like the gems they are. The world is a very big place...go there.

And more thanks here. But adding, "Like all y'all,we all started out thinking we all could use 'something creative' for filtration materials." I know, I know, some folks do buy filters and just use them but after my Cyprio BioForce that was enough for me! I don't try to make up media because I love what's available easily and kinda not an arm and a leg. But buying some guy's filter? No way! I adapted many containers to filter usage and have built my own containers which is more fun. I didn't get to the plastic welding phase, didn't aspire to Woodyacht's fiberglass (and stainless) mastery, but will be tackling concrete up down chambers when prosperity returns to my pockets.

Yes Bighat, every filter here in Outer Bubbaville, Florida is DIY.
    Ain't nothing wrong with a little downhome engineering. BTW did you find that picture yet?

Jumbo
    No Bubbette, I looked for an hour and didn't find it. All of the posts of all of the threads but only part of one of the YouTubes. Dr. Burning Bush is a dasher. Here you go Amanda. Skippy filter version 24.3. Shower filter with 2cuft bacteria house and 1 cuft 1" bio barrels. 535 fibe tank. 1200 gph pondmaster. bout a dozen fish. Now let's see the hat!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Filters-700g-qt.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    When we rebuilt our current bio filter this spring I wanted to use plastic dish scrubbers, and scotch pads. However, our Dollar Tree didn't have those items at all in bulk. On the way out the door they had boxes and boxes of pool noodles. I looked at Sean about the same time he looked at me and we had a "lightbulb" moment togeather.
    Meg, Thanks for the link!
    This is something like the latest DIY filter project I am working on.

Attached is a picture of the "free" filter media my wife collected for me.
    It is recycled and I have about 100 "gallons". It is less dense than water.
    Can you guess what it is?
    ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Filters-filter_media_1586.jpg   DIY Filters-filter_media_1587.jpg  

Mitten, ok its not the best picture of me at all, but if you go to the club link there is a post I started called Ccks, it has the newsletter from the Cen Cal Club. In the newsletter is a picture of me (minus the hat) Sean ( who looks absolutely terrified for some reason) and the other raffle prize winners from last meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Meg, Thanks for the link!
    This is something like the latest DIY filter project I am working on.

Attached is a picture of the "free" filter media my wife collected for me.
    It is recycled and I have about 100 "gallons". It is less dense than water.
    Can you guess what it is?
    ;-)
    Does your wife work at a clinic of some sort, feed store, labratory? Those look like the plastic covers that syringes with needles come out of. If they are, what a way to put that to use Ric. BRAVO!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast