Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pipe boot?

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    not really much I can add other than Greg' instructions. Just be sure to cut the hole smaller than you think you need...you can always make it bigger if you have to. And be sure to use a scrap piece of liner on top of the pond liner so that it protects the actualy liner from being cut by the hose clamp. I always wrap a piece of scrap liner around the hose clamp once I am done too, to keep the fish from getting against it. If you have never done a pipe boot before, play with a piece of scrap to get a feel for it before cutting your pond liner.
    I agree with CarolinaGirl that there are more than one way to do it and use a scrap piece of liner on top of the pond liner.

Is this what we are talking about? pipe boot

Or is it this? pipe boot

If you use a standard bulk head fitting, you can make two large plastic "flanges" out of stiff plastic sheet (for a 3" bulk head - think of a giant plastic fender washer with a 3" hole and 9" outside diameter) and plenty of non-toxic glue.

Richshaw, it's more like the 2nd one, but it's DIY. You cut a hole in the liner about half the diameter of the pipe. Then push the pipe through the hole. The liner flares up along the side of the pipe, giving you a place to put a hose clamp. To protect the liner from the hose clamp though, you cut a scrap piece of liner and push the pipe through that one too, so the scrap's flared edge sits on top of the liner's flared edge. Then tighten a hose clamp on the flared part and it's done. Maybe Peppy can post a picture of the practice run to you can see what we are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Richshaw, it's more like the 2nd one, but it's DIY. You cut a hole in the liner about half the diameter of the pipe. Then push the pipe through the hole. The liner flares up along the side of the pipe, giving you a place to put a hose clamp. To protect the liner from the hose clamp though, you cut a scrap piece of liner and push the pipe through that one too, so the scrap's flared edge sits on top of the liner's flared edge. Then tighten a hose clamp on the flared part and it's done. Maybe Peppy can post a picture of the practice run to you can see what we are talking about.
    Got It!! Thank you.

Q: The hose clamp can be ether inside or outside the pond?

The reason I'm more comforatble with a pipe boot as opposed to the bulkhead (that I already have) is that:
    1. I'm unsure of how to support the bulkhead and how that will work out.
    2. My glued fittings sometimes leak but my hose clamped fittings never leak.
    I was wondering too if it makes a difference if the clamp is inside or outside the pond? Other than having to cover it to protect the fish if it's inside.

I have done it both ways. It's harder to get the hose clamp on the outside of the liner because you have to get behind the liner to do it, but it does look nicer and there is no hose clamp inside the pond for the koi to get scratched on. I have only used bulkhead fittings a couple of times and they leaked every time. I won't use them again unless I have to for some reason.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    The reason I'm more comforatble with a pipe boot as opposed to the bulkhead (that I already have) is that:
    1. I'm unsure of how to support the bulkhead and how that will work out.
    2. My glued fittings sometimes leak but my hose clamped fittings never leak.
    I was wondering too if it makes a difference if the clamp is inside or outside the pond? Other than having to cover it to protect the fish if it's inside.
    Why you had to waitting your time safe some money on this BD go for Koi Toilet 2
    price right now only
    4"-$69.95
    ON SALE $59.95

3"-$59.95
    ON SALE $54.95

I had 2 of eas 4" for my pond.

BAVOTOI, I have a Koi Toilet II new in the box in the garage. I'm not thrilled about holes in the liner and no way am I putting a hole in the very bottom where I'd have to tear up the pond to fix it. Maybe someday, but not now. I'm saving the Koi Toilet II for that someday.

I think the only reason I'm getting away with one retro BD instead of two for my 5500 gallon pond is that I have 2 steps going around it. An eductor on one return and a venturi on the other are apparently keeping the steps clean and swirling everything to the retro BD. Since the steps take up space, the bottom is therefore smaller. Lucky me! (fingers crossed here that it stays that way)

CarolinaGirl, that is good to know on the bulkheads. I feel more comfortable all the way around with the pipe boot idea. I use a lot of those rubber connectors with hose clamps. They're great.
    ...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

When you cut the hole for the pipe, be sure it's rounded and not square. If there is a straight line in the cut, it will rip when you try to push the pipe through.

I always cut the hole 1/2 the size of the pipe and push the pipe through. Like Cindy said, the liner is pulled up around the pipe. I cut a a strip of liner so it has about 1" left over after rapping it around the pipe and about 3" wide. Wrap that strip of liner around the pipe and over the liner that is stretched over the pipe. Put the MARINE clamp over the strip of liner and tighten the clamp. Put some 5200 Silicone over the clamp and "roll" the strip of liner back over the clamp. This will hide the clamp, stop the fish from getting scratched on it, stop the end of the clamp from rubbing against the pond liner. Usually on the clamps, you have to make sure they are Marine grade because otherwise, the screw will rust. The silicone over the clamp and screw helps to alleviate this problem, too.

You can do a pipe boot in less than 10 minutes for the cost of a little silicone and a clamp. I've done them with 1"-4" pipe and they never leak.

I hope that makes sense.
    The views expressed above are my own personal views and, as such, do not necessarily reflect the views of the AKCA or the KHA program.
    SANDY

That does help, kntry. Marine grade. Very important! Probably will have to send for that. I'll check at Lowe's first though.

I've been putting this off for a year because of the bulkhead issue. Finally, something I'm comfortable with.

You can get them at Lowes in the plumbing section.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast