Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treating wood

Nisai

Treating wood

I have had "decking" placed over my filter house. It is more a cover, not really standable on, but looks like decking. Anyway, what would I treat it with, if I wanted? It should not be in contact with any water, it is probably already treated, it is softwood.
    I was thinking some sort of varnish or something. But it will have running water under it and rain might get between the slats into the filters.
    Thoughts???

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    I have had "decking" placed over my filter house. It is more a cover, not really standable on, but looks like decking. Anyway, what would I treat it with, if I wanted? It should not be in contact with any water, it is probably already treated, it is softwood.
    I was thinking some sort of varnish or something. But it will have running water under it and rain might get between the slats into the filters.
    Thoughts???
    Cheers.
    Thompson water seal?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Treating wood-thompson_water_seal.jpg  

Fry
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
    Thoughts???

Cheers.
    Such a very amazing link!
    Thanks you for the post.

Sansai

wood?

Is your wood pressure treated?

If so it is almost certainly containing arsenic so treating it is imperative.

I am considering marine ply for some shower boxes, and if I do it will get epoxied as soon as I find a food safe one.

Actually looking for a brand now. Or an exterior grade urethane. To cover both sides and edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Levi View Post
    Is your wood pressure treated?

If so it is almost certainly containing arsenic so treating it is imperative.

I am considering marine ply for some shower boxes, and if I do it will get epoxied as soon as I find a food safe one.

Actually looking for a brand now. Or an exterior grade urethane. To cover both sides and edges.
    If you are going to use plywood for boxes to hold water...
    check out sign board plywood (MDO).

Plywood boxes can be made, which hold water, with no urethane finish and only silicon sealer along joints to prevent leaking.

Almost any wood treatment you can buy at a typical "box store" will contain arsenic and/or copper compounds as will pressure treated lumber. Those things are highly fish toxic and will leach out of the lumber and into the water over time from rain and ordinary weathering. Sealing it on ALL surfaces before assembly is paramount.

Sansai

treating wood

Thats why I am looking at marine ply, its been sealed and using epoxy or urethane adds to it, comparing brands, I hadnt thought of the MDO, will look at it, also looking at ready made plastic boxes. Thanks for the comments.

Jake

Oswego, NY
    We are all in this together

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    If you are going to use plywood for boxes to hold water...
    check out sign board plywood (MDO).

Plywood boxes can be made, which hold water, with no urethane finish and only silicon sealer along joints to prevent leaking.
    MDO is a horrible choice for water contact.

As well, silicone should never be used around ponds. The best products for sealing anything around a pond is polyurathane sealants, like 3M 4200, 5200, Sikaflex 291, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Levi View Post
    Thats why I am looking at marine ply, its been sealed and using epoxy or urethane adds to it, comparing brands, I hadnt thought of the MDO, will look at it, also looking at ready made plastic boxes. Thanks for the comments.

Jake

Oswego, NY
    We are all in this together

Jake,

Marine plywood is not much different than regular ACX plywood. 30yrs ago Marine plywood was good, but today it's not much different.

I say lean towards plastic bins if you can. They won't rot or deteriorate.

If you choose to go with wood, coating with Epoxy is a very good idea, but you really should add fiberglass to it as well. Even though the plywood is sealed, it will still expand and contract, and the plain epoxy will crack letting moisture in and they'll eventually rot. The fiberglass cloth will give the resin strength. If you plan on putting the boxes outside you'll also need to coat the epoxy with something to block the suns UV light from degrading the epoxy. Epoxies don't stand up well in the sun...........

Just my 2 cents
    “If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed” Adolf Hitler

Chris~

Sansai

Shower Trays

One reason towards building the trays is I can get bigger ones then buying them for less and have more $ for the media, looks like two good ones available here besides feather rock.Plus buying the pump and the pond.

So looking to save where I can, using the ply and then epoxing or urethaning it seems doable, for sure if I epoxy them will use the matting.

We shall see.I need to decide pretty soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast