Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cheap fine catcher

Papa,

Is/was yours seperate from the filtration, loop or is/was it in the filtration loop? I read what I just typed and barely understand what I said so let me say it again differently. In your filter chain how did you have it set up? Did you have water diverted from the main filtration to the fines unit? Or did you have the fines unit before or after your filter?

Apparently the guy I got my idea from thinks the fines unit should not be in the main filter chain. Does this matter or not?

A.

Either way works fine. Ours was using a submerged watergarden type filter that the pump sucks through and I just ran the discharge line to the fines filter. It decreases the amount of fines the submerged unit has to handle and also catches all the dead biofilm that sloughs off off the bioballs in slimy strings of brown bacterial snot

Those type filters are great for fry hatcheries as they diffuse the suction over a large surface area which keeps the tiny fry from being pulled into the pump.

As I promised pictures of the new improved fines catcher...

Ok this thing sits on 2 roughly 4X1 inch 5 foot lengths and hangs over the pond. If this unit was to overflow the water would go in the pond.

That green thing in the fines catcher is an old spray head we had laying about.

Sean built the bracket to help manage the hose and keep the spray head in place.

In the past set of pictures the basket just sat inside the dish tub. Now the basket sits up about an inch out of the tub.

The next pictutre should show the fiberglass window screen, I used silcone glue to adhere it to the tub.

The water that filters through the polyfil, well... I should have wiped the tub out. There looks to be a considerable amount of debris at the bottom of the pan. At least that is what the picture is showing.

Last picture you can see the polyfil starting to get dirty. I used about 1/5 of a bag to fill the basket. So one bag should get me 5, 6 week uses.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cheap fine catcher-sdc11662.jpg   cheap fine catcher-sdc11659.jpg   cheap fine catcher-sdc11658.jpg   cheap fine catcher-sdc11660.jpg   cheap fine catcher-sdc11661.jpg  

cheap fine catcher-sdc11663.jpg   cheap fine catcher-sdc11667.jpg  
    Amanda Bulls-Stephens
    Creator of "The Tail End"
    Central California Koi Society

Something you'll notice as you toy with this is that the "loose polyfill" used for stuffing toys, pillows, etc... will allow more fines to get through than the sheet material that is used for making quilts. Even the minimal amount of weave in the material makes a difference in efficiency.

Also, over time (and you'll be surprised at how little time it takes) the nozzles of the spray head will become slowly clogged by old biofilm slime and require flushing. The bottom of the tub will begin to build a layer of biofilm as well because the bacteria really couldn't care less what surface they populate. Only that it is a hospitable place.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Something you'll notice as you toy with this is that the "loose polyfill" used for stuffing toys, pillows, etc... will allow more fines to get through than the sheet material that is used for making quilts. Even the minimal amount of weave in the material makes a difference in efficiency.

Also, over time (and you'll be surprised at how little time it takes) the nozzles of the spray head will become slowly clogged by old biofilm slime and require flushing. The bottom of the tub will begin to build a layer of biofilm as well because the bacteria really couldn't care less what surface they populate. Only that it is a hospitable place.
    LOL, I wish you had been there where we where deciding what polyfil to get. I wanted the sheet type, and Sean wanted the loose type. Then we got home. I wanted the loose type and he wanted the sheet type.

I didn't mention that I needed to alter the spray head. The nozzels where very fine. I drilled them out to allow more water to pass through. Also to make it easier to clean out if and when the nozzles get clogged.

Again thank you Papabear for your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post

That green thing in the fines catcher is an old spray head we had laying about.
    The garden hose hand sprinkler is the part that bugs me.

I think a better approach is to not have any flow restriction on the pipe (hose) going to the filter.

To disperse the water going over the filter media it is better, in my opinion, to use some kind of "scattering" plate or "splashing" device to help spread the water more evenly over the media.

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    The garden hose hand sprinkler is the part that bugs me.

I think a better approach is to not have any flow restriction on the pipe (hose) going to the filter.

To disperse the water going over the filter media it is better, in my opinion, to use some kind of "scattering" plate or "splashing" device to help spread the water more evenly over the media.
    That's what I was hoping to acheive by using the sprinkler head. Just having the hose seemed to focused the flow of water in one spot. The spray head spreads it out more. How would you recomend making a "scattering" plate?

Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    That's what I was hoping to acheive by using the sprinkler head. Just having the hose seemed to focused the flow of water in one spot. The spray head spreads it out (a little) more. How would you recomend making a "scattering" plate?
    Maybe try using that plastic mesh stuff they sell at fabric and craft stores for ??? rug making? I do not know what it is called or really meant to be used for.

Maybe a piece of fluorescent ceiling "egg crate" thingy?

A piece of plastic or large plastic plant pot dish with holes drilled in it?

or ???

Quote Originally Posted by ricshaw View Post
    Maybe try using that plastic mesh stuff they sell at fabric and craft stores for ??? rug making? I do not know what it is called or really meant to be used for.

Maybe a piece of fluorescent ceiling "egg crate" thingy?

A piece of plastic or large plastic plant pot dish with holes drilled in it?

or ???
    Well I guess the sky is the limit there. I guess I will get creative and try something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12