Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adhering Rock to EPDM

I'm back.

In the final stages of a sinus infection and an abscessed tooth. Yeah, two separate issues at the same time. Can you believe it? Spent the week on the couch napping, eating homemade vegetable soup and watching Netflix movies. Feeling much better today but not looking forward to the root canal on Wednesday.

Anyway, felt good enough to go out and get those edging pictures! BigHat, I think they're stone but they could be cement.

Yikes. That is the mess I have in the 3rd pic. See why DH calls it a plumbing nightmare?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adhering Rock to EPDM-stepping-stones.jpg   Adhering Rock to EPDM-stepping-stones-2.jpg   Adhering Rock to EPDM-stepping-stones-3.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    In the final stages of a sinus infection and an abscessed tooth. Yeah, two separate issues at the same time. Can you believe it? Spent the week on the couch napping, eating homemade vegetable soup and watching Netflix movies. Feeling much better today but not looking forward to the root canal on Wednesday.

Anyway, felt good enough to go out and get those edging pictures! BigHat, I think they're stone but they could be cement.

Yikes. That is the mess I have in the 3rd pic. See why DH calls it a plumbing nightmare?
    They look to me like faux stone, but that does not make any difference because they look nice.

Maybe you could anchor them down with some "Liquid Nails" (comes in a caulking tube).

I am sorry you are sick Peppy, and I hope you get better soon.
    I am with Ric, those stones it looks nice. What Mystic suggested about the wonderboard might be your best bet. Yet, when I read his suggestion I get a little lost on how he recomends attatching it all togeather. Hopefully Mystic will chime back in.

What a great find they were. I bought all they had and am pretty confident there are enough to go all the way around. Took me 2 trips in the car because my truck is full of pea gravel for the rest of the exposed liner.

They were $8.48 a piece which is ridiculous, especially for the quantity I needed but I've been looking for something to put on top of those blocks for 2 years now. So much nicer than the rocks they're replacing.

The blocks on the sides were only .97 each.

I was thinking of going with CG's Great Stuff idea because I don't know anything about cement and have never worked with it.

I'm also thinking the Great Stuff can be used to fill in the spaces between, then trimmed and painted to look like grout.

I never did figure out how to email photos to myself from the phone so today I used our old camera that only takes a few photos but at least it does still take pictures.
    ...enjoy your day!
    5500 gllns, Ultima II 4000, Tarpon 6000, 1 Multi-Cyclone Prefilter, 2 - 5500 gph pumps, 1 Retro BD, 1 skimmer, max depth 4', 5% trickle 24/7 weather permitting

Well tell us how your project goes, I am sure what ever you decide to do will be fine.

BTW I think my fines filter is doing a great job of getting the small particulate out of the water. I should post some pictures in a few days.

I do want to try that fines filter idea, BigHat.

Right now, I can only feed 8 oz a day and I don't know how much I should be feeding. The fish aren't skinny so I guess I'm doing all right but half are small so they'll be eating more and more. I have to cut down on fish but I'd like to feed more too.

I have so many plans and am never sure which one to start on next, LOL.

I have a ton of bio balls so I was thinking of using my 100 gallon stock tank as a trickle filter. That would add air too as well as help offgas whatever. The other option is filling it with K1 and using one of the two air pumps in it. I already have the bioballs though so that's probably what I'll do.

It is so nice to finally have something to go over that edge. I hope they hold up to the ice and freeze/thaw.

After seeing the project, I would rather see mortar used than great stuff. Great stuff will work really well, but if you plan on trimming it and painting it to look like mortar, you will be disappointed. The stuff looks ugly. If you trim it, the trimmed surface wont have the finished skin in it...it more resembles a sponge full of air pockets. If I was finishing off the top of that wall, I'd actually space the stones out farther so you can have a 1/2" mortar joint and just mortar the whole thing together. Mortar is not hard to work with. It does not dry nearly as fast as concrete so you have plenty of time to work with it and make the joints pretty. Once it starts to set up, you can wash excess off the rocks below. And you can use muriatic acid to was any haze off of the finished rock work. Although make sure muriatic acid is compatible with your faux flagstones. I don't know what kind of finish they have on them and the acid might etch it. Also don't get any acid or mortar in the pond as either one will screw with your pH.

CarolinaGirl you would die laughing if you saw how this pond is made. That wall is simply sitting on dirt, LOL! The wall itself is constructed of 2 inch cap blocks staggered and glued together with landscaping glue.

It was an experiment and I can't believe it's still there and actually holds water. I had to do something quickly to keep runoff out after I found out about koi ponds.

I fully expected the thing to come apart the first winter but so far it's survived two winters and being filled to the brim when there's no ice on the water.

So since there's no footer under it, I'm afraid mortar will crack with the freeze/thaw.

I've seen the black Greatstuff when it's trimmed. There isn't much liner to hide between the stepping stones and I hoped paint mixed with sand would fill in the pockets left in the Greatstuff after trimming. I'll have to experiment with that.

Maybe check into a stucco type paint if I need something thicker.

The Greatstuff will have some give and take to it also for the freeze/thaw.

I was hoping someone would tell me there's some new mortar product with some kind of stretch to it.

We had intended to move before the bottom fell out of the real estate market so here we now sit. Believe me, my next pond, if I'm still into koi, will be built better. This is an AS redo that seems like it will never be done, LOL.

But thanks for the suggestion. If there was a footer under there, I'd prefer the mortar look.

well, that looks pretty darn good! Anyway...you are right. Since nothing is cemented together, the mortar would just end up cracking. The black great stuff should do the job very nicely. And it does have a lot of flex that no mortar product (that I know of) has.

I can't believe it's maintained level for 2 years now being laid on dirt. The far wall is even higher above the dirt than the front wall. Scary...

I told a landscaper what I did and he thinks it will hold. I feel like I'm living on the edge, though, LOLs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast