Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: "Koi-Kichi" Filter

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Yup. That is true of any similar system, be it Waddy's or any of the myriad others of virtually identical design. Generally there is a static settlement chamber that may have brushes or a different static media in the first chamber, be it vortex or a simple box with a weir in it. Removing as much of the solid waste as possible before entering the biochamber keeps efficiency at its peak and filter maintenance at a minimum.
    Myriads? That work like the ones I saw in the UK? Clean as in "squeaky clean"
    after one short purge? These must be VERY badly advertised, as we newbies
    haven't a clue about them.

Redoing my pond in concrete, so my input may take a bit more time than initially expected.

Back asap.

Fry
    Hey Peter

I like your book. The concept of separating the mechanical from the biological freed my head from the obvious conflict that exists in filter system design that combine the two.....I didn't expect my (first) post going the direction it went...I was really just interested in how you kept the filter mat together in the old system (I thought this would be an easy way to enter into the forum). Thanks to all who responded.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
    Hey Peter

I like your book. The concept of separating the mechanical from the biological freed my head from the obvious conflict that exists in filter system design that combine the two.....I didn't expect my (first) post going the direction it went...I was really just interested in how you kept the filter mat together in the old system (I thought this would be an easy way to enter into the forum). Thanks to all who responded.
    Actually Peter gives a very detailed explanation of how the mats are assembled on the website. No need to guess and wonder, just look at the "play by play" of their manufacture and assembly provided by him.

Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    I thought in this system it was the Japanese Mat that collected the fines.
    It is my understanding (and opinion) that it is better to try and remove particulate matter before the water goes through the bio-filter media.

The purpose of the Japanese Mat in the book filtering system is surface area for bacteria, not mechanical filtration.

Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    Hey, I don't need to be shown 'myriad others of virtually identical design'.

I'll make it easy peasy for you, how about showing us all just ONE of virtually identical design?

Go on.

Please!

Just one will do.

Honest!

My name is Peter Waddington.

PS. Why do you endlessly continue to give nonsensical replies and wild assumptions, on a subject you haven't even got a clue about, to those on this same forum who are asking honest and genuine questions? Keep at it Bear, it won't be long before the others discover that it's nothing to do with filters - it's all to do with the person who invented them - and that's ME!
    Sorry do disappoint you Peter, but I won't do that for the very same reason I won't promote the product of any other on this forum. It is very simple actually.

I have respect for Brian and his "paid advertisers".

Anyone who seeks to self promote their own wares here, even if they are a close friend, will not get any support from me in doing it. Nothing personal, just a matter of propriety. It is cheap and tawdry for anyone to attempt to abuse the good will of those who OWN this form for their own gain, and a second hand promotion via friends or happy customers giving their "name brand testimonials" is every bit as morally wrong.

I'll not help you. I'll not help your competitors. Period.

To do so would cause those who pay for that privilege to literally underwrite others by financing their self promotion. Hardly the stuff of honest business dealings and it only cheapens the name and reputation of those who engage in the practice.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Banned
    Hi, to the genuine guys who raised genuine questions at the start of this thread, here are some equally genuine replies because, once again, they were simply genuine questions.

I will try to keep it as brief as I can.

Toshio Sakai demonstrated to me how to use the original blue polyester material back in ’84 by forming it into tailored cartridges as a biological surface for Koi pond filtration. I saw the possibilities of his invention and first imported it into the UK in ’85 together with the first high-output air pumps, which were vital to be used alongside these cartridges. There was no name for the material so I simply christened it ‘Japanese Filter Mat’. It was supplied in 2m x 1m x 38mm thick sheets and the cartridges, being so light when tailored, replaced the heavy stone gravel mediums used prior to this and thus opened up further possibilities in filter box design. For the first 18 months or so, all the cartridges made at my shop were for ‘upward-flow’ boxes either pump-fed or gravity-fed.

This is a page taken from ‘Koi Kichi’ published in 1995 showing filter mat cartridges formed in my ‘91 Vortex Series’ first launched in 1991. (This design was based on my original Vortex unit that was originally launched in ‘85.)

These cartridges were made slightly larger in diameter than the diameter of the units and were banded around the outsides before being ‘squeezed’ into position. The ridge in the units supported the cartridges perfectly and these particular cartridges were 12” deep.

It was in 1986 I first saw the possibilities of turning these cartridges onto one side and allowing ‘horizontal-flow’ water to pass through the channels. This was the first time that filter mat cartridges had been used in this way. The initial idea led to the production of my ‘Budget Filter’ units that were also covered in detail in ‘Koi Kichi’.

In later years the penny dropped that ‘upward-flow’ patterns in filter systems were almost useless either pump or gravity fed and irrespective how many chambers were interlinked or, for that matter, whether they were aerated or not.

In a nutshell, incoming water ‘tracks’ from the inlet of the box/boxes and directly to the outlet of the box/boxes which results in 80% of the media surfaces having no contact with the actual water flow passing through. The 80% of useless media surfaces may well be ‘wet’ but serve no purpose other than to house areas of debris and stale water.

My Eric Systems are ‘based’ on my original Budget Filter but there the similarities end.

In 1991 I also introduced the principle of ‘One Drain to One Pump to One Filter’ and came up with this for my own private pond. This was also detailed in ‘Koi Kichi’ under the heading ‘Tomorrow’s World’ and was looked upon, at the time, extremely avant-garde.

In reality it is the only logical way to look at the problem in question of
    keeping the pond base as clean as possible on a permanent basis.

Eric units are bottom drain fed by gravity and not pump fed.

Eric units are narrow, shallow and long – water passes through them as water travels naturally – just like a river.

Eric units hold little water – generally around 2.3% of the volume of water to be filtered by a single unit.

As a result of the tiny volume of water held in the boxes – or shall we say lavatories – the entire unit is flushed to waste on a daily basis from stop to re-start in just over one minute.

(And still the old guard advise newcomers to allow for 25 to 30% of total system volume to be retained in the filters!)

I have designed a Brush Box to be placed immediately as incoming water enters the box; this is the first time ever that brushes have been tethered and secured firmly in a horizontal flow of incoming water.

The 38mm thick, blue Japanese Filter mat has been replaced with a new
    material made by the same company to my specification. This is 30% denser and firmer than the old material. As a result it can be formed into blocks with sheets only 19mm thick, which allows more sheets to be used and thus, size for, size, three times the surface area of the earlier blue cartridges.

The intense aeration in the tiny spaces before and after each EricMat block produces total confusion to the ‘layers’ of water and coerces the flow to move forward as an endless ‘block’ of water.

These are only the BASIC principles of Eric units and below are the performance figures of the largest unit.

Performance of one ERIC FOUR Unit

·
    (Calculations based specifically on

Maximum Recommended Flow Rate of 2,200gph (10,000lph)
    AND a total discharge every 24 hours.)

· Eric Four units hold only 110 gallons (500 litres) water maximum.

· ONE PASS through the unit is the time taken for the incoming water to enter the unit and exit the unit travelling as a ‘block’.

· ONE PASS takes 3.15 minutes thus producing 463 passes per day!

· Annually this creates a 218-mile long river!

· Annually this river actually processes 19,272,000 gallons of water!

· Annually only a miserly 40,150 gallons or 0.21% of the total water being processed is discharged to waste!

DAILY total discharge time represents MUCH less time taken than one miserly pass per day.

Providing that the 4” bore tube to waste is maintained

I do hope this has answered all the genuine inquiries.

Waddy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails "Koi-Kichi" Filter-9154.jpg  

Fry
    ....Ok....thanks for all the info.....and fireworks...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
    ....Ok....thanks for all the info.....and fireworks...
    Hell, that wasn't fireworks.
    Wasn't even much of a smoke bomb
    Got the info you were lookin' for though didn't ya

Fry
    Yea, thanks for defining "koi kitchi" for me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Hell, that wasn't fireworks.
    Wasn't even much of a smoke bomb
    Got the info you were lookin' for though didn't ya
    Nope Bear, I wasn't looking for 'info', the guys on here asked for info and I just supplied it.

Why not? - it's only the truth and that's pretty difficult to contest!

Unless, of course, you can dispute it with some HARD facts?

I did NOT mention fireworks but YOU mentioned smoke bombs.

Now Bear, back to business - why don't y'all busy yerself and post just ONE pic of all 'tham thar myrad 'o filterz that's exackly li-yek my-yen'?

We are all waiting - just ONE pic will do - forget the 'myriads' - C'mon - jest ONE li'l 'ol pic Bear!

Please!

My name is Peter Waddington.

PS. Suggest you call up your trusted Cavalry now - they can help, where are they? - must confess I'm missing them!

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast