Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: "Koi-Kichi" Filter

OK answer me this ya'll, where can I find a history on Japanese Matting? Wasn't this stuff originaly used for drainage under highways in Japan? Who thought that this stuff might make great filter media in the first place?

A link would be great.

Fry
    ....where's the stop button on this thing....

Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    OK answer me this ya'll, where can I find a history on Japanese Matting? Wasn't this stuff originaly used for drainage under highways in Japan? Who thought that this stuff might make great filter media in the first place?
    Investing a lot of time and research and manufacturing set-up to make bio media for Koi ponds is not a very smart business idea in my opinion.

Finding products and materials manufactured for other uses that can be adapted and relabeled as bio media for Koi pond filtration is smart (in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by waddy View Post
    Nope Bear, I wasn't looking for 'info', the guys on here asked for info and I just supplied it.

Why not? - it's only the truth and that's pretty difficult to contest!

Unless, of course, you can dispute it with some HARD facts?

I did NOT mention fireworks but YOU mentioned smoke bombs.

Now Bear, back to business - why don't y'all busy yerself and post just ONE pic of all 'tham thar myrad 'o filterz that's exackly li-yek my-yen'?

We are all waiting - just ONE pic will do - forget the 'myriads' - C'mon - jest ONE li'l 'ol pic Bear!

Please!

My name is Peter Waddington.

PS. Suggest you call up your trusted Cavalry now - they can help, where are they? - must confess I'm missing them!
    Im not papabear, but hear is a E.R.I.C filter my husband built....

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Peter has come to the conclusion that vortex chambers are stupid and his "new" system renders them useless. My own vortexes have never exhibited any signs of "stupidity" and I'll be keeping them

Note on the far right area of pond, there are still 2 chambers, 1 vortex settlement tank, and 1 prefilter.... We still don't think ours shows any sign of stupid yet either...

Wow Nancy. Do you utilize air like the ERIC in yours as well? I see 2 pressurized units, are they also in use? How many gallons does your filter and your pond hold? The black pipe sticking up out of the filter is that where you flush the system? Wow and wow again.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post

A link would be great.
    With pleasure Sir!

This polyester-based material was first made in Japan specifically to lay under the final surfaces of freeways and major roads in Japan because it is perfect for drainage and does not deteriorate in water.

The Koi breeding genius Toshio Sakai saw this material and carried out some experiments with it. As a flat-sheet mechanical barrier there are far better options but when formed into cartridges it produces a series of channels. These open channels produce a very large surface area for bacteria to form with no flow restrictions at all. Being porous it also supports a biomass below the actual surface of the material as a bonus. Again, it does not deteriorate when submerged.

(The same company who make the material also make cheaper versions for upholstery purposes but this is useless when submerged.)

I brought in container loads of this sheet into the UK and Europe and later it caught on in SE Asia and the USA. Since '98 - ish? the majority of it is all made up in China by a Dutch company called 'ENKEV' who export it to Japan and the rest of the world.

My grey EricMat sheet is made up for my Eric units by Enkev in Cumbria UK to my specifications after good advice from their technical guys.

Unless I am wrong I know of no base material that was designed to be produced as a biological surface specifically for biological filtration in fish ponds - stones, sands, plastics, sponges etc. etc.

'Japanese Filter Mat' was no exception but EricMat IS.

Hope this answers your question.

Waddy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    Im not papabear, but hear is a E.R.I.C filter my husband built....

Your husband is indeed very astute Ma'am!

May I also say I admire the quality of the channel construction.

Yet another Eric devotee in the USA.

If I may add a comment, the width looks just about perfect as do the gaps before and after each block (do you blast those gaps with aeration?) but perhaps only half the depth of cartridge blocks would be more worthwhile.

Brilliant stuff!

Waddy.

Daihonmei
    Three reasons why Waddy is a functional dope and much the BS artist;

1) Sakai didn't 'Invent' the concept either! Nor did he make Jmat! It was made by a company that published it's track record back in 1980. Momotaro had them in his famous grow out ponds since the beginning-- in otherwords, they were 'common' in Japan and koi keeping.
    The concept that waddy suggests he invented ( no wait, it is now an invention of Sakai? I loose track with all the 'stuff' flying around).

2) The dullest of observers will watch the water and 'assume' ( you know the old proverb about 'ass-u-me') that ammonia is IN the current only. But Ammonia in water is omni present and not Bunched up in water current. If you think about it for a minute- acidity of water is omni present and is hardness. As is nitrAte! And NitrAte is another byproduct OF ammonia- we don't 'assume' nitrAte to be physical and localized.

The movement to the chamber and the number of rotations Thru the filter removes ammonia as it is either settled onto, or in a more agressive way, delivered TO the biofilm. The mutual electro attraction from the ammonia molecule and the biofilm'd matrix itself do the rest. The PROOF of this of course in the fact that up flow and down flow designs REMOVE ALL THE AMMONIA! The topic of comversation is reduced to one of efficiency- only. So the rest is BS marketing folks or heaven forbid, a child like understanding of how biofilm and ammonia actually get together.

3) Waddy proudly marketed/promoted the nexus and answer units for years, when he thought he was out of filters and just selling fish ( not actually delivering sold fish mind you- just selling them and often selling them 'a few times'). In those promotions he candidly threw the idea of Vortexes under the bus as he proclaimed that he never realized how much organic material makes it's way thru the chambers of his own systems without an answer unit. At that time he declared the Answer THE ultimate prefilter for chamber systems. I believe I have the ad around here in the library which shows Mr Waddington drinking a glass of post-filter Answer unit water?
    It surprised me that he discounted vortex as they were THE BEST THINK since brushes ( which he threw under the bus years earlier!)
    So returning to brushes as ' the new answer' is a pure marketing ploy IMHO. Let the buyer beware.

these are the facts. MY name is JR

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Sorry do disappoint you Peter, but I won't do that for the very same reason I won't promote the product of any other on this forum. It is very simple actually.

I have respect for Brian and his "paid advertisers".

Anyone who seeks to self promote their own wares here, even if they are a close friend, will not get any support from me in doing it. Nothing personal, just a matter of propriety. It is cheap and tawdry for anyone to attempt to abuse the good will of those who OWN this form for their own gain, and a second hand promotion via friends or happy customers giving their "name brand testimonials" is every bit as morally wrong.

I'll not help you. I'll not help your competitors. Period.

To do so would cause those who pay for that privilege to literally underwrite others by financing their self promotion. Hardly the stuff of honest business dealings and it only cheapens the name and reputation of those who engage in the practice.
    Self-promotion, cheap and tawdry, morally wrong....propriety??? All these terms concerning a professional who has been giving free and disinterested advice and counsel for many months on this forum??? And who continues to do so in spite of the beatings he's taken here, and the slanderous tirades he
    has undergone from the part of a selected few???

Larry, think it over. This guy doesn't need your help nor this forum's to promote anything. His website is doing that. The threads concerning his filtration system started with Luke, methinks, and in the sole view of trashing the guy. Great motivation! (cheap and tawdry, morally wrong,
    and...cowardly...)

But if a thread is opened, all opinions on it should be considered, even
    if some of these last are not appreciated by the "special few."

Or are we talking "double standards??"

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast