Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: "Koi-Kichi" Filter

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JasPR View Post
    Three reasons why Waddy is a functional dope and much the BS artist;

1) Sakai didn't 'Invent' the concept either! Nor did he make Jmat! It was made by a company that published it's track record back in 1980. Momotaro had them in his famous grow out ponds since the beginning-- in otherwords, they were 'common' in Japan and koi keeping.
    The concept that waddy suggests he invented ( no wait, it is now an invention of Sakai? I loose track with all the 'stuff' flying around).

2) The dullest of observers will watch the water and 'assume' ( you know the old proverb about 'ass-u-me') that ammonia is IN the current only. But Ammonia in water is omni present and not Bunched up in water current. If you think about it for a minute- acidity of water is omni present and is hardness. As is nitrAte! And NitrAte is another byproduct OF ammonia- we don't 'assume' nitrAte to be physical and localized.

The movement to the chamber and the number of rotations Thru the filter removes ammonia as it is either settled onto, or in a more agressive way, delivered TO the biofilm. The mutual electro attraction from the ammonia molecule and the biofilm'd matrix itself do the rest. The PROOF of this of course in the fact that up flow and down flow designs REMOVE ALL THE AMMONIA! The topic of comversation is reduced to one of efficiency- only. So the rest is BS marketing folks or heaven forbid, a child like understanding of how biofilm and ammonia actually get together.

3) Waddy proudly marketed/promoted the nexus and answer units for years, when he thought he was out of filters and just selling fish ( not actually delivering sold fish mind you- just selling them and often selling them 'a few times'). In those promotions he candidly threw the idea of Vortexes under the bus as he proclaimed that he never realized how much organic material makes it's way thru the chambers of his own systems without an answer unit. At that time he declared the Answer THE ultimate prefilter for chamber systems. I believe I have the ad around here in the library which shows Mr Waddington drinking a glass of post-filter Answer unit water?
    It surprised me that he discounted vortex as they were THE BEST THINK since brushes ( which he threw under the bus years earlier!)
    So returning to brushes as ' the new answer' is a pure marketing ploy IMHO. Let the buyer beware.

these are the facts. MY name is JR
    You just can't help it, can you? Follow my advice and be a bit easier on yourself, JR. Otherwise, all this will drive you over the edge.

Get used to things. He ain't dead, he's back, he's in the process of becoming an even bigger legend than before.

"All you've got to do is put your mind to it."

Tategoi
    Well, clearly the train is about to come off the tracks....but before it does:

Nancy,

Thanks for posting those pictures. The pond -- and filtration -- look just beautiful. I especially like the little shallow-river waterfall returns you have implemented. It appears that you have a sort of hybrid system -- using both the bead filters and a "ERIC"--type of filter?

Your pond is giving my pond an inferiority complex.

...but thanks for the great pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post

Nancy,

Thanks for posting those pictures. The pond -- and filtration -- look just beautiful. I especially like the little shallow-river waterfall returns you have implemented. It appears that you have a sort of hybrid system -- using both the bead filters and a "ERIC"--type of filter?

Paul, that beauty gives a LOT of ponds an inferiority complex
    It's a real work of art and not the first (or the last) outstanding example of how good Frank really is. How he has managed to build ponds and filters like this without "eric" to show him the way I do not know

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post

Nancy,

I'd hate for the train to come off the tracks! That's one gorgeous pond that Nancy has going. Will share details of mine in a few weeks. Have to do a lot on it, namely bottom drain and....concrete!

Good thing I like pasta...it's cheap!

Nisai
    I am obviously not going to 'knock' Frank and his knowledge, I guess he's probably one of the best you guys have around and probably is a really nice guy to boot...

But, if you are going to compare a 35ft long x 5ft deep x 2-3ft wide filter? to an ERIC then I am going as insane as JasPR is....

Infact, I've changed my mind, I am going to take 1/2 of my garden up now with a raceway like this, perhaps I could give my kids some foam boards so they can paddle up and down, and then hang a washing line from each bead filter so the missus can hang the washing out!

In all seriousness though, it's a nice looking pond and looks very well built.

Andy

Well Andy, if you think a pond of that size with the number of outstanding quality Koi residing in it can be filtered by an itty bitty box of any manufacture you can go right ahead and delude yourself. If Frank had to wait for eric to come along and save the day he would have been stacking multiple bays of them together just to take a wag at it. Instead he chose to build a single long filter chamber appropriately sized to the pond in question.

Since you are a devotee of 'eric' one would assume that you have gone to the trouble to read enough on his own website to realize that the number of "endless rivers" used to filter any given pond goes "up" as the pond grows larger. In the case of a large pond like this there would have been a row of multiple "eric's" running in parallel to achieve the same result. Exactly how much "yard space" do you suppose 6 or 7 'eric' filters would consume in comparison to this single long bay?

Try not to leave your ignorance hanging out next time you flap your yap.
    You look silly stepping on your own tongue that way.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Nisai
    lol, touched a nerve?

Out of curiosity what is the size of the pond?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Well Andy, if you think a pond of that size with the number of outstanding quality Koi residing in it can be filtered by an itty bitty box of any manufacture you can go right ahead and delude yourself. If Frank had to wait for eric to come along and save the day he would have been stacking multiple bays of them together just to take a wag at it. Instead he chose to build a single long filter chamber appropriately sized to the pond in question.

Since you are a devotee of 'eric' one would assume that you have gone to the trouble to read enough on his own website to realize that the number of "endless rivers" used to filter any given pond goes "up" as the pond grows larger. In the case of a large pond like this there would have been a row of multiple "eric's" running in parallel to achieve the same result. Exactly how much "yard space" do you suppose 6 or 7 'eric' filters would consume in comparison to this single long bay?

Try not to leave your ignorance hanging out next time you flap your yap.
    You look silly stepping on your own tongue that way.
    How big is Nancy's pond, Larry? I didn't see this mentioned on her post.
    At any rate, it's a beautiful one.

Maybe insults are not the best way to get things straight.
    I'd like to know more about Nancy's pond. It's gorgeous.

How many ERICs can stand on the head of a pin?
    Now, calm down and insult me not!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
    How big is Nancy's pond, Larry? I didn't see this mentioned on her post.
    At any rate, it's a beautiful one.

Maybe insults are not the best way to get things straight.
    I'd like to know more about Nancy's pond. It's gorgeous.

How many ERICs can stand on the head of a pin?
    Now, calm down and insult me not!
    This is not my pond, it is a pond my husband built for a customer. The pond is 18,000 Gallons, the raceway was a retrofit, the pond was built 6 years ago by my husband, and he upgraded the filtration 2 years ago.

Nisai
    Think i found it...

Quote Originally Posted by gspotmc View Post
    Hi JR,
    I was hoping that you'd chime in. I'm finished filling up the water. The main pond 14,100 gal, settlement chambers is 1700 gal and long throw filtration is 1400 gal. Grand total of 17,200 gal.
    Correct me if I am wrong though...

One of the examples on the ERIC site is 17,000 UK gallons, filtered by three ERIC fours... and I've been see this pond four times now.

Andy

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast