Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: "Koi-Kichi" Filter

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    This is not my pond, it is a pond my husband built for a customer. The pond is 18,000 Gallons, the raceway was a retrofit, the pond was built 6 years ago by my husband, and he upgraded the filtration 2 years ago.
    Hey, that's a whopper! Bravo to your husband, and thanks for the info.
    I'm just now going the "off with liner, on with concrete and bottom drain"
    route, 4500 gallons-a bathtub compared to what I saw on your pics.
    Wish me luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Andydon View Post
    lol, touched a nerve?

Out of curiosity what is the size of the pond?
    No Andydon. You didn't "touch a nerve".
    You merely displayed your ignorance and I took the opportunity to set you straight. Note I did not say you were "stupid" as there is no cure for that. I called you "ignorant", which only connotates the absense of knowledge. I gave you information to "cure" your lack of knowledge.
    The closest you came to "touching a nerve" was your "I guess he's probably one of the best you guys have around" remark, as though Frank is the sort of pond builder that we poor Americans have to "settle for" . FYI Frank is the kind of pond builder that anyone who is a serious hobbyist would do well to stand in line to wait for.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy View Post
    How big is Nancy's pond, Larry? I didn't see this mentioned on her post.
    At any rate, it's a beautiful one.

Maybe insults are not the best way to get things straight.
    I'd like to know more about Nancy's pond. It's gorgeous.

How many ERICs can stand on the head of a pin?
    Now, calm down and insult me not!
    I'm not insulting you Suzy No need nor desire
    If Andydon should happen along with more useless drivel I'll happily spank him tho

Nancy already gave you the basics on the pond so I'll only add that each and every pond Frank has built that I've ever seen, either pictorally or in person is both a work of art to see and functionally beautiful as well.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Nisai
    Papabear, I was being sincere about Frank, not sarcastic, I was trying to pay him a compliment!

I suppose my 'lack of knowledge' was down to not knowing what the size of the koi pond was and or really nice koi. So, thank you for curing me on that part.

You went onto mention about stacking ERIC's up to fit the pond;

Lets do the quick rough dimensions, that filter that frank has built (to which I am sure works really damn well - honest comment, no sarcasm)

35ft long, 5.5ft deep, by 3ft wide? rough guesses by photos (depth guessed by man stood in it)

an ERIC four is roughly 7ft long, so you could quite easily fit three ERIC fours, then you save space on width and depth as well... and would probably work out cheaper (possibly and dependant on construction costs in the US ??)??

As I mentioned in the previous post, the Pond Frank built is 17K US galls, which is 14K ish in UK gallons, a Pond on the ERIC site, is 17K UK gallons, filtered by three ERIC fours, stood next to each other, so thats 7ft x 5ft, I don't think thats a bad footprint for a 17K pond?

No doubt the above you will see as drivel, I can live with that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    No Andydon. You didn't "touch a nerve".
    You merely displayed your ignorance and I took the opportunity to set you straight. Note I did not say you were "stupid" as there is no cure for that. I called you "ignorant", which only connotates the absense of knowledge. I gave you information to "cure" your lack of knowledge.
    The closest you came to "touching a nerve" was your "I guess he's probably one of the best you guys have around" remark, as though Frank is the sort of pond builder that we poor Americans have to "settle for" . FYI Frank is the kind of pond builder that anyone who is a serious hobbyist would do well to stand in line to wait for.

I'm not insulting you Suzy No need nor desire
    If Andydon should happen along with more useless drivel I'll happily spank him tho

Nancy already gave you the basics on the pond so I'll only add that each and every pond Frank has built that I've ever seen, either pictorally or in person is both a work of art to see and functionally beautiful as well.
    I was not insulted by you, Larry. I was speaking of insults in general terms
    as insults have never penetrated my thick hide.

As to Andy's "useless drivel" he has also seen many extraordinary ponds in the UK and their filter systems....I have seen some of them too, a few short weeks ago. I am impressed by the pond that Nancy's husband built.

I am on my little Franco-American tukus by those I saw in the UK, and by the filtration systems I saw working on them and the sheer ease of purging
    these.I saw it done by various owners who had great big smiles on their faces.

Let's all keep smiling on here, what say ye?

Nancy . . .

Thanks for putting up the pix of the raceway Frank build for Michael Chua's pond; hope all the newbies notice that it's much truer to the Japanese concept of ERIC (Endless River in Concrete) than Waddy's LRIP (Limited River in Plastic) is. Didn't see any brushes, though? LOL

Larry . . .

Seems Waddy has an endless supply of first time posters to come on Bito and ask a question so we can be bombarded by yet another cheap, tawdry trades promotion and circus act -- all the while avoiding payment of advert fees to Brian. Cheesy bit, that.

JR . . .

Thanks for the facts on J-mat. At least there was something worthwhile to take away from this thread.
    Don Chandler
    Member: AKCA, ZNA, KoiUSA

I am obviously not going to 'knock' Frank and his knowledge, I guess he's probably one of the best you guys have around and probably is a really nice guy to boot...

But, if you are going to compare a 35ft long x 5ft deep x 2-3ft wide filter? to an ERIC then I am going as insane as JasPR is....

Infact, I've changed my mind, I am going to take 1/2 of my garden up now with a raceway like this, perhaps I could give my kids some foam boards so they can paddle up and down, and then hang a washing line from each bead filter so the missus can hang the washing out!

In all seriousness though, it's a nice looking pond and looks very well built.

Andy
    Andy I took your verbage as a personal insult to my husband and his pond building. I did not post pictures for a moron to talk chit.....

I just wanted to share, and show others that this is not a new invention strickly from England, this has been done before here in the good ole USA.

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by KoiCop View Post
    At least there was something worthwhile to take away from this thread.
    I found your post worthwhile and massively contributed to it all

Papabear, I was being sincere about Frank, not sarcastic, I was trying to pay him a compliment!

I suppose my 'lack of knowledge' was down to not knowing what the size of the koi pond was and or really nice koi. So, thank you for curing me on that part.

You went onto mention about stacking ERIC's up to fit the pond;

Lets do the quick rough dimensions, that filter that frank has built (to which I am sure works really damn well - honest comment, no sarcasm)

35ft long, 5.5ft deep, by 3ft wide? rough guesses by photos (depth guessed by man stood in it)

an ERIC four is roughly 7ft long, so you could quite easily fit three ERIC fours, then you save space on width and depth as well... and would probably work out cheaper (possibly and dependant on construction costs in the US ??)??

As I mentioned in the previous post, the Pond Frank built is 17K US galls, which is 14K ish in UK gallons, a Pond on the ERIC site, is 17K UK gallons, filtered by three ERIC fours, stood next to each other, so thats 7ft x 5ft, I don't think thats a bad footprint for a 17K pond?

No doubt the above you will see as drivel, I can live with that.
    Andy, how much does (3) Eric 4 cost? and lets not forget shipping from the UK..

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by Nancy M. View Post
    Andy I took your verbage as a personal insult to my husband and his pond building. I did not post pictures for a moron to talk chit.....

I just wanted to share, and show others that this is not a new invention strickly from England, this has been done before here in the good ole USA.
    Good god, are people mad... let me break the sentance down.

I am obviously not going to 'knock' Frank and his knowledge
    This means, I do not know the guy, but he probably knows his stuff

I guess he's probably one of the best you guys have around and probably is a really nice guy to boot..
    So, me saying he's probably one of the best guys you have has insulted you?, so are you telling me you ship pond builders from everywhere else from around the world? and btw, if you don't get the 'is a really nice guy to boot' is a UK saying and means 'as well', I will apologise if you somehow you thought I meant he needs a boot?

The rest was sarcasm and humour, even added the wink icon.

If you wish to call me a moron, again, I can live with this.

I however do apologise, I did not mean to insult your husband.

Andydon,
    You seem to be stuck on the "pond water volume" relationship to the filter area rather than the "Fish Volume" relationship. Michael's pond houses some rather large beauties to put it mildly This particular build was immediatly followed by stocking it with a bevy of wonderfully framed big girls fresh from Japan via Michael Hernandez. 3 'eric' fours would not have been adequate to the task as it is the Koi that generate the bioload, not the water itself.
    That does not imply that 3 'eric' fours are inadequate for 17k gallons of water.
    Merely inadequate for the content of "this" 17k bioload.

Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast