Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: "Koi-Kichi" Filter

Fry

"Koi-Kichi" Filter

Greetings

I've been reading Koi Kichi and wondered how Peter (Waddington) kept all the pieces of Japanese mat together during the construction and placement of filter in his vortex system. Has anyone tried to construct a box-type biofilter with this kind of mat? How did you hold it all together?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
    Greetings
    I've been reading Koi Kichi and wondered how Peter (Waddington) kept all the pieces of Japanese mat together during the construction and placement of filter in his vortex system. Has anyone tried to construct a box-type biofilter with this kind of mat? How did you hold it all together?
    The filter system you are talking about has been "upgraded" and is now called ERIC.
    See: ERIC - THE ENDLESS RIVER.
    It is my understanding that the filter box holds the filter media in place. The Japanese mat is cut and wedged in. I have seen pictures of the pieces of Japanese mat held together with string for handling before being installed in a filter box that the Japanese mat bundle is sized for.

Fry
    Thanks for the link and info. What happen to the vortex portion of the filter? Too much space?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan B View Post
    Thanks for the link and info. What happen to the vortex portion of the filter? Too much space?
    Peter has come to the conclusion that vortex chambers are stupid and his "new" system renders them useless. My own vortexes have never exhibited any signs of "stupidity" and I'll be keeping them

Fry
    Interesting. So, the brushes do all the work in terms of clearing out the fine debris Ok

I thought in this system it was the Japanese Mat that collected the fines.

Meg
    Quote Originally Posted by bighatbulls View Post
    I thought in this system it was the Japanese Mat that collected the fines.
    no, there is a small chamber of brushes before the matts for solids, and a simple daily 10 second flush for cleaning the brushes and chamber.
    the matts are the bio filter.

at least this is my understanding of the system

Fry
    This is my understanding as well. You don't want anything to collect on the biofilter portion (the Japenese mat) because that will diminish/interfere with the bacteria converting the dissolved nitrogen waste in the water. You don't want anything clinging to the biofilter except bacteria.

Yup. That is true of any similar system, be it Waddy's or any of the myriad others of virtually identical design. Generally there is a static settlement chamber that may have brushes or a different static media in the first chamber, be it vortex or a simple box with a weir in it. Removing as much of the solid waste as possible before entering the biochamber keeps efficiency at its peak and filter maintenance at a minimum.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    Yup. That is true of any similar system, be it Waddy's or any of the myriad others of virtually identical design.
    Hey, I don't need to be shown 'myriad others of virtually identical design'.

I'll make it easy peasy for you, how about showing us all just ONE of virtually identical design?

Go on.

Please!

Just one will do.

Honest!

My name is Peter Waddington.

PS. Why do you endlessly continue to give nonsensical replies and wild assumptions, on a subject you haven't even got a clue about, to those on this same forum who are asking honest and genuine questions? Keep at it Bear, it won't be long before the others discover that it's nothing to do with filters - it's all to do with the person who invented them - and that's ME!

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast