Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Thread: Aboveground Pond Brands

Sansai

Aboveground Pond Brands

We've been looking over brands of greenhouses, may have one picked out, still searching but now starting to search out above ground ponds, I am looking for several sizes, a couple 4-500 gallons and 3-4 4-5000 gallon ones.

Anyone have particular favorites and also particular unfavorites?

jake

Are we talking "ponds" or "tanks"?

Steve Jonelli (Birdman) posted up some very functional round tanks that he uses for his stock that are readily available nationwide and very reasonably priced. Contacting him might be a good place to start. I don't know that they had anything larger than 1100 gallons, but as I recall they had a variety of round, rectangular, and ovals in various gallonage.

For the 4-5K sizes you might be better off looking at a fitted drop in liner in a site built block frame. I've seen some fitted drop ins for boxcar/freight type containers, but that might be a bit large for your purposes.

Maybe someone else knows of some other alternatives you could consider.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Tosai
    Is this close to what you are looking for?

Red Ewald, Inc.

Tategoi
    I would like to second Larry's excellent advice about contacting Steve Joneli (High Desert Koi). Some time ago, Steve sent me a 1 square foot sample of the material he is using to make the pre-formed "box" liners -- very nice stuff, very robust. You might ask him if he can send you a small sample as well. This pre-formed liner -- made to whatever size you specify -- might be a good way to "build in place" for the larger tanks.

For the smaller sizes (4-500 gallons), you might check with local "tack & feed" or livestock supply / agricultural supply warehouses. They might have a decent price on livestock feed tanks or watering tanks. At an even smaller size threshold, Rubbermaid makes a 300-gallon stock tank that is absolutely fantastic in design and durability.

Please keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post

I've seen some fitted drop ins for boxcar/freight type containers, but that might be a bit large for your purposes.

Those are cool!!

:-)

Every time I pass on the interstate highway a tractor trailer with one of those huge fiberglass open containers that are tied onto a flat bed trailer for hauling produce like tomatoes... I think Koi pond.

Sansai

containers

Thanks for the input,

this is going to be a temporary set up, probably over the winter,

the fiberglass containers I know of for produce, foods and liquids are the IBCs, Intermediate Bulk Containers, biggest I have seen is ~ 480 gallons.Bigger would be nice.

Most of the feed dealers sell the Rubbermaid line, the 300 gallon is excellent but short, only 30" so some kind of rim needs to be fitted, I will contact the sources listed but not looking for any inground pools yet.

I have seen an 8' dia 400 gallon stock tank in the midwest but not yet at any NY dealers. One is looking to see what they can find.I thought I would like to start sounding folks out here for what others have done.

Thanks for the input so far.

jake
    Jake Levi
    Oswego, NY

We are all in this together