Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My new pond design

Nisai
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaBear View Post
    People get confused about velocity pretty easily so it's understandable.

If you want to increase velocity you have two options. You either increase pressure at the return point by using a pressurized nozzle to "jet" the water at the same volume, or you simply increase the flowrate through the same pipe. Reduce the number of pipes carrying the same gross volume and you increase the velocity at the outlet of those pipes, but you change nothing regarding the velocity or flowrate across the bottom of the pond as the "velocity" is only changed at the point of exit.
    Sometimes I think people just get too caught up in semantics and loose sight of reality.
    I think he will have the needed flow in that configuration, however as I pointed out in post #2 velocity could be increased by making the entry points of the return water smaller. This would cause the catch basin under the bakki shower to fill to a higher level to balance the smaller cross section of the returns hence more pressure via positive gravity head.

From personal experience I think 5k gph will turn that pond nicely but the higher velocity would give extra energy to the circulation without any additional electrical input. (The catchment basin is already there in the design)

Regards, Ken

Tosai
    what timer are you going to use for the lift? what filter do you intend to use for fines?

just one suggestion: you may want to consider putting a 'foam extractor' after the shower before the water goes back to the pond.

looking forward to see pics of the build and how things will work once it's in operation. i have been very interested in this stream flow design. if i'll be given a chance to build another pond it will surely be a stream flow.

eds
    Sansai
    Cheers Ken, I reckon it will work ok too, I'm just after some reassurance from the wealth of experience on here so everyone's views are great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississauga Ponder View Post
    what timer are you going to use for the lift? what filter do you intend to use for fines?

just one suggestion: you may want to consider putting a 'foam extractor' after the shower before the water goes back to the pond.

looking forward to see pics of the build and how things will work once it's in operation. i have been very interested in this stream flow design. if i'll be given a chance to build another pond it will surely be a stream flow.
    As for the timer I am hoping to get a digital timer like the one I use for my automatic feeder. Otherwise I know an electrician who has designed one for his pond but that's a bit more invovled than the autofeeder timer.

I don't intend to have anything for fines at this point, I will probably use some cheap floss if they prove an issue though others with ponds like this don't seem to have an issue with them. The removal of the waste before it can get smashed up into fine particles seems to reduce their occurence from my understanding.

I have considered a protein skimmer definitely and will probably add some way of extracting any foam generated and collected in the last tray, possibly a pipe off the side of the the tray.

Tosai
    is the digital timer commercially available? would you mind sharing the brand and model?

keep us posted with lots of pics.

it would be interesting to see how the water would flow/circulate as you describe it. i guess it would be nice to take a video of it by putting 'koi clay' in the inflow to see.

eds
    Sansai
    is the digital timer commercially available? would you mind sharing the brand and model?

keep us posted with lots of pics.

it would be interesting to see how the water would flow/circulate as you describe it. i guess it would be nice to take a video of it by putting 'koi clay' in the inflow to see.
    The autofeeder is available off Ebay and then I might just have to buy one of those and cannibalise the timer, I'll take photos when I do this and every step. I haven't found the timer available for sale on its own but it's a digital timer that you can set down to the second so it will be ideal for the air pump timing.

Sorry but no clay will ever get near this pond! I'm a firm believer in low TDS water and the last thing I want to do is add something that will raise the TDS! I will add some dye or treatment though to show the water circulation patterns though once it's all done.

Tosai
    Quote Originally Posted by eds View Post
    I'll take photos when I do this and every step.

I will add some dye or treatment though to show the water circulation patterns though once it's all done.
    perfect! looking forward to these.

Quote Originally Posted by hacnp View Post
    I think he will have the needed flow in that configuration, however as I pointed out in post #2 velocity could be increased by making the entry points of the return water smaller. This would cause the catch basin under the bakki shower to fill to a higher level to balance the smaller cross section of the returns hence more pressure via positive gravity head.

From personal experience I think 5k gph will turn that pond nicely but the higher velocity would give extra energy to the circulation without any additional electrical input. (The catchment basin is already there in the design)

Regards, Ken
    I understand what you are saying, but hit the pause button just long enough to walk through this with me.
    5000gph moving through 4 return lines that open into a 3 meter wide pond that is 5 meters long is going to move along the bottom of the pond at a constant rate of flow once the water enters the pond. Even if the standpipes were raised 10' higher, if the flowrate is only 5000gph the velocity in the pond remains unchanged. 5000gph moves at a fixed velocity once it enters the 3 meter X 5 meter opening no matter how many ways you slice it. The only way you can increase the velocity within the POND is to increase the flowrate.
    Larry Iles
    Oklahoma

Tosai
    any update? have you started the build?

eds
    Sansai
    any update? have you started the build?
    Just about. Had a bit of a delay while a copper sycamore was removed (and had to check there wasn't a tree preservation order on it first too!), but that was cut down Thursday so I'm trying to get the guy sorted who's going to come and dig the hole for me in the next week or two.

eds
    Sansai
    Forgot to say that I have also decided to go with 6, 2" pipes returning water from the shower to the pond. This is for a number of reasons. First 6, 2" pipes should still deal with the flow rate but with slightly more head created in the bottom tray (therefore more velocity in the pipes and more velocity as they enter the pond.). Secondly 2" pipes and fittings are cheaper (even when adding two extra pipes!). Thirdly 2" pipes should be less obvious where they enter the pond and impossible for even my smallest fish to swim up. Finally, if the velocity as the pipes enter the pond isn't high enough to generate the flow in the pond I can much more easily fit ball valves to two of the pipes to force all the flow down just 4, 2" pipes. I could even use some two of the 2" pipes and add a pump on them and pull water from the seive to boost the flow if needed so this configeration will give me a lot more options.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast