Home | About Us | Contact Us

Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bakki Showers Revisited

Sansai

Question Bakki Showers Revisited

Here we go again, NOT reinventing the wheel but looking at its parts and configurations,

I have been reading the archive stuff here, and other sites, and it is a simple and obviously proven design. I like the simplicity, whatever the media, the BH is pricey, but, there is a time and place for it, the new ceramic made in NYS looks promising, and I am waiting to read and see more on it.

I think my first effort with the Bakki will be a smaller version then the bigger units I have read about just because of smaller tank/pond size, but that said I want to make sure the ultimate configuration is placed right on a Bell Curve of efficiency for the design.

So, one first thought is: is there an optimum depth for media? The length and width I donot see as crucial, but can see an optimum depth as plausible. I am thinking somewhere between 12 and 18" for a depth of the media in each box.

Also the distance between the bottom of a box and the top of the next as somewhere between 8" and 14". For optimal oxygenation and waterfall effect.

I am thinking of fabricating the boxes from marine ply and then coating with epoxy, I have made a number of similar boxes over the years for holding fish to TTs and other uses. On this I am thinking of an inside lip around the bottom and several cross pieces with a SS or Plastic mesh screen rather then a drilled bottom over the lip and cross pieces. I am also thinking in terms of four boxes, probably 36" in length and ~16" in width.

The initial ponds will be under 1,000 gallons to hold a small number of YOY over the winter.

So, my question is the depth for the best media functioning. I have had media of 4' depths in aerated trickle towers, lots of possibilitys but I understand the Bakki as quite different from a TT.

Thoughts? Observations?
    Last edited by Jake Levi; 07-30-2010 at 09:55 AM. Reason: spelling
    Jake Levi
    Oswego, NY

We are all in this together

I would follow Steve's lead on this.
    New Test Tank
    General dimensions, flowrates, media configuration, etc...
    It is just so hard to argue with success

Sansai

Media depth

I read it twice through didnt see any dimensions on the showers just that he had them.

Still looking for info on the Bakki sites.

eds
    Sansai
    Standard stainless steel shower trays over here are usually 1m long (3'), and about 40cm wide (16") and 30cm high (12"). They are filled most of the way up with BHM and stacked so there is just a small air gap between the trays, not over 8".

However I've used simple plastic stacking boxes for my DIY shower and it works great and I know others who have used plastic bins and trays of various dimensions and depths. I think the real key is enough media and lots and lots of flow. Mine is certainly performing far better since I swapped a 4,000lph pump for a 12,000lph one (This is on a 400UKg, 18,000litre quarantine pond).

Sansai

Bakki Showers

Thanks Ed

Those numbers are the ones I was looking for. For the small ponds I will be making it 3' long and bigger ponds probably 4'.

eds
    Sansai
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Levi View Post
    Thanks Ed

Those numbers are the ones I was looking for. For the small ponds I will be making it 3' long and bigger ponds probably 4'.
    Just make sure you are putting enough water over them if you make them that size. I would say 2,500gph (Proper gallons, not your American ones! ) for a 1m long trays at least and the more certainly seems to be better. If you can't put that much over them then smaller trays might be better.

Sansai

Thumbs up Gallonage

good point Ed, even if you do talk funny, for the first few builds its going to be smaller tanks so smaller trays are better, thankfully have affordable pumps that can get the job done.

Its easy to think of these as 'cleaned up' TTs and overlook the gallonage.

Jumbo
    My fiberglass shower trays are 12 by 48 inches at the base, then taper out to 16 by 52 inches at top. 14 inches high designed to hold 12 inches of media. I like to flow 8,000 to 10,000 gph through a 4 tray set.

Sansai

Trays

Thanks Birdman

That depth seems to be common in aquaponics for grow bed media also. 20cm/12-15".

How many gallons is your pond?

A LOT of water, truly a shower for sure.

Jumbo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Levi View Post
    Thanks Birdman

That depth seems to be common in aquaponics for grow bed media also. 20cm/12-15".

How many gallons is your pond?

A LOT of water, truly a shower for sure.
    My pond is 6700 gallons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast